NARS Mekong

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

What a huge disappointment this was! Swatched with finger it definitely picked up the shimmer but once applied to the lid it translated as black and no shimmer whatsoever. I even used Too Faced Glitter Primer and pressed the shadow on my lid and no luck whatsoever in retaining that beautiful shimmer that had me pick it up in the first place.

And another bummer was the fact that this shadow creased with both my NARS lid primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion and of course Too Faced Faced Glitter Primer. I'm kinda on the fence about returning as I could possibly use it as a liner but I already have a deep chocolate black eyeshadow that is dupe this one (just minus the shimmer factor ). I wanted a dark chocolate brown shadow with shimmer to sport as a smokey eye...no dice with this one.

on 3/25/2014 2:06:00 AM

Mekong is a gorgeous deep espresso color with gold sparkles. I love using it to line my upper lashes. It is much softer than black, but yet deeper and richer than a standard dark brown shadow. Very unique. Just beautiful!

on 1/30/2014 11:09:00 PM

A long time favorite of mine, I can't believe I have never before reviewed this eyeshadow! I have brown eyes and I used this for an eyeliner often (both as a dry shadow and as a wet liner when paired with Fix+) and even all over the lid when I want a very dramatic look. The very subtle flecks of gold in this different sort of dark brown make this color one of the most unique I have in my way too vast shadow collection. I highly recommend this for anyone with brown eyes - a HG shadow for me. Just a warning that this shadow is super pigmented so approach with caution.

on 1/24/2013 3:31:00 AM

I tried this on in Sephora today and couldn't resist. I've been in an eye makeup funk -- my black liners look too harsh on me lately and the eyeshadow-as-liner with my lighter browns and deep mauves and purples was boring and making me look older. I'd accepted that I'd transitioned into a red lips and mascara girl for life.

But then I applied this gorgeous rich warm, coffee brown with subtle gold shimmer with a flat brush as eyeliner and WOW! I had my color and application all wrong and just needed to find the right shade to go with my blonde. For all you blondes out there that feel like you look like an aged streetwalked with black liner, this is your answer. I couldn't pull this shade off as an eyeshadow itself, but applied this way I am absolutely in love. Depending on how much you use you can create a polished day look or an all out night look. I put some NARS Silent Night eyeshadow on my inner creases to match the gold in the Mekong and paired with a matte red lip and looked made up but in a way that could pass for both the office and a night out.

on 8/5/2012 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I've worked with some pretty dark brown eyeshadows but Mekong by NARS is something different. In the tester it looks like a deep rich golden brown with gold shimmer/sparkles. Just beautiful. I had to have it. On my eyelid though it looked almost black. When I first used it for my smokey eye I looked like I was punched in the eye. The gold shimmer doesn't really show up on my lid either. Had to start from scratch with this one. It's a very hard shadow to blend as well. I specifically use this shadow as a liner and for my outer v which is wear this shadow really shines. I will stick with MAC Handwritten (deep matte brown) for my crease.

on 6/2/2012 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I love this shadow....its a deep, rich chocolate brown with a gold fleck shimmer to it. I use this in a few different ways:first I use this with a 219 brush as a soft, smudy liner around my eyes. Then sometimes I use with a 217 to smoke out my crease. I have also been know when my hair is very dark to use this as a brow filler....looks really pretty espeically on a night out. If you have dark brown or black hair def give it a try! I love the ability for multi-use of this product, makes it more worth the money, especially if you're like me and have so much makeup it doesn't give all the love it deserves. Quick tip for a gorgeous smokey eye: UDPP in Sin lid to brow bone. Then take Mekong with a 219 brush and smudge all around the top and lower lash line. At the top lash line keep adding color and smuding out towards the crease until you get the depth of color desired. Super quick, easy and sexy smokey eye!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Luv nars mekong eyeshadow it is a grogeous dark brn with gold flakes. When im in a rush i will sweep mekong from lid to a lil pass crease and use urban decay foxy for a highlight, and you instantly has a daytime smokey eye. Very easy and pretty. Thanks to songbirddiva4life who hip me to nars mekong shadow.

on 4/5/2012 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Such a good quality eye shadow. It's dark brown with golden sparkles in the pan but when I put it on it comes out more black/brown with no sparkles. If I wet the brush first some sparkles show. When I bought it I wished it was more brown thank black, but after I got over that this has become my new black e/s and MAC Carbon has been kicked to the curb. It's not a true black, but it goes so many e/s combos. I love wearing it with NARS Fez (Mekong in outer corner and crease and underneath lashline). For going out I'll wear it all over my lid (applied with a wet brush) then mixed with MAC cranberry on my lower lash line. I instantly feel sexy when wearing this e/s!!!

on 3/20/2012 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is deep dark brown with gold sparkles added to it. It is so dark that it is perfect to use it either for smokey eye or as a liner.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I'm unnaturally obsessed with this eyeshadow. Ignoring the exorbitant price ($23..really Nars?) it's absolute perfection. I'm just staring at the swatch on my hand right now and it's just chimerical. Deep rich chocolatey brown with tons and tons of almost microscopic reflective glitters...I'm in love. Really, online swatches just don't do it justice. As with any Nars eyeshadow I've tried, the quality is incredible--which is why I choose to overlook the price. Mekong is smooth and blendable and so non-chalky that it's hard to believe this is actually a glitter eyeshadow. I've never had fallout with this shade and even though it is extremely dark it's a lot more wearable than what I originally thought. Before I found this, MAC Carbonized was the be-all-end-all chocolate brown eyeshadow..but Mekong just annihilates Carbonized in every way. If I wasn't afraid of finishing up such a pricey eyeshadow, I'd probably use this every day. 5/5...and 10/5 if Mr. Nars decides he's feeling charitable and cuts his prices in half. Gotta have dreams...

Top Rated NARS Products