August 20, 2014 | 1385 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 131 Duo Fibre Powder & Blush Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by shuppet88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great multi-purpose brush. I use it for contouring with cream products, and as a cream blush brush. I use Groundwork paint pot as a contour, and this blends it perfectly. It's also great for using lipsticks as blush, or for applying regular cream blush. I wouldn't necessarily repurchase because it isn't a cheap brush, and I don't really contour that often. But when I do contour, it's the only brush I use for that purpose. If you don't yet have a favorite contour brush, and you like to use creams, check this out. You could even use it to set the under eye area with powder, as well as to highlight.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Asti1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush after someone recommended it on YouTube for contouring. I have to say, it's the best brush I've used for the job. The reason I like it so much is the white part of the bristles picks up the product, and it's easy to apply where you need to shade. But the best bit is you can use the same brush to blend it in, using a heavier hand. It means I don't need to use a kabuki afterwards which saves lots of time in the mornings! The perfect contouring brush in my eyes. X

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by Fieeeh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Great for foundation and powder :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2011 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

I have all of MAC's duo fibre brushes, and I must say this is among my favorites. It is absolutely perfect at the job it was created to do - apply MSFs beautifully, evenly, and using just enough product for a lovely look. It never packs on or wastes product, but leaves me with a fantastic glow no matter what shade I'm using. The shape is quite unique. It's semi-flat, semi-round, with very long white bristles -- think of it as a fluffier foundation-shaped brush. I could see this applying liquid foundations like a dream, although I haven't tried that yet, though I think it wouldn't give near enough coverage with powder foundations. I will be trying this on my more pigmented blushes and contouring powders soon. Love this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 9:41:00 PM More reviews by malu22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My favorite blush brush ever. I use it especially to apply my highly pigmented blushes ( like Rock and Republic Xrated, Immoral, Shameless and Seduce). It is very soft and it gives me enough control of the application. Yes it is expensive but I love it too much that I bought one more of this. I also have the Hakuhodo brand but the synthetic part (white bristles) is shorter and the handle is shorter. The sigma F15 is not as soft and scratchy. But if you are on a budget coastalscents C427 is really really soft. The bristles are as long as Hakuhodo but as soft as Mac and Hakuhodo or maybe even softer. I posted a picture of the 5 brushes for comparison.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 10:44:00 AM More reviews by franklyscarlet

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have had this a while now and didnt really use it.But lately I've been using it for liquid foundation and concealer and its brilliant.My foundation goes on seemlessly and the concealer looks flawless.I'm so pleased I gave it another go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

I really love this brush for contouring my cheekbones, with my MAC Refined Golden Bronzer. I find the shape of this brush allows me to buff my bronzer onto my cheekbones better, as opposed to many angled brushes I have tried. When it comes to contouring, I always had trouble because many angled brushes would look like they have the right shape, but when I applied my bronzer my contour wouldn't blend into my skin. I only use this brush for one thing, but its very versatile and can be used for blush, bronzer, highlight, stippling, and powder- a bit pricey at $48.00CAD but I am very happy with it :) However, if I had discovered ELF's Studio Line brushes first, I most likely would not have purchased this; the price is far to high in my opinion, but its still a great brush to have.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2010 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Fibergash6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I would have never bought this on my own. One of my girlfriends gave me this as a gift and I quite thankful she did! I used the 187 for blush and 188 for highlights but this is much better than both of those. It picks up the right amount of product and it's much more precise than the other duofibers. The tapered round end makes it great to apply blush or highlight precisely on your cheek bones. I'm glad I have this brush but I still wouldn't go out and buy a $35? brush. If you're just starting out with makeup or idk don't have a decent blush/highlight brush then I would recommend getting this. But if you're like me and have hundreds of brushes lying around, this is not a must have.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 2:20:00 PM More reviews by AmazonRises

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I guess I am just one of those MACophiles that has to have every new brush that comes out! The 131 is a cross between a traditional blush brush and the 188 duo fiber brush. The 131 has a flat shape as opposed to the round shape of the 188. The 131 was marketed with the last collection of mineralize products, so I believe it is intended for blushes and highlighting. It's not dense, so when using this with MSFs or other powders, it diffuses the product and applies it very lightly. This can be a good thing, with the extreme frostiness of some MSFs. However I also have the 165 brush, which in my opinion is much better for highlighting on the cheeks. So for me, this is primarily for super-pigmented blushes that go on too dark with a standard natural fiber brush. It's definitely not essential, but I don't regret getting it. I am sure I am going to find uses for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2010 6:28:00 AM More reviews by Nima

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like the MAC 131 brush. It is one of the best duo fiber brushes out there IMO. It is great for applying MSFs (its original intended purpose) as well as pigmented blushes since it picks up very little product. It is designed so that you can't really go wrong with it, especially if you have a heavy hand. So go ahead and pull out those pigmented blushes and give it a go! Yes,even the cream blushes and cream color bases! And don't forget the pigments! I think it also works equally well for applying a highlight sparingly, once you turn the brush to its side.

In short, I can see this brush being used with pigmented products in many different ways.

This brush does have extended purposes! Think liquid foundation! When it comes to foundation, I prefer using the duo fibers or flat top brushes. I don't like just plain old stippling. I actually like to swirl in my foundation once I apply it, to give it a flawless finish.

What with all the buffing! Let's just say this brush is like a cross between the 188 and the 190 foundation brush with best of both these brushes rolled into one. And unlike a 187 or 188 (which leave streak marks, if I start swirling it), this brush allows me to do that once I have used short criss-cross strokes to layer on the foundation. (Don't try long strokes else you will get streaks initially!)

I like the fact that I can use it around the nose without having to resort to using my fingers or an extra sponge! Having said that, I don't think it is great with cream foundation (Try the 130 for that <3 ). But then, that was not the intended purpose of the brush either, so can't blame the brush!

So, in the end, for all it does, this brush gets a thumbs up from me!

I always recommend trying your MAC artist's brushes at the store and playing around before committing to a purchase since the choice of a brush is personal thing and these babies don't come cheap!