October 21, 2014 | 935 users online

Styling Products - GHD - Thermal Protector for Dry, Coarse Hair [DISCONTINUED]

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2010 6:19:00 PM More reviews by drwholass1018

I.Love.This. I love it so much, after 1 use I was just SO happy with what I was getting. I sprayed on my damp hair before blow drying, and my hair was SO soft, SO shiny and overall the best I had ever seen it, and it was also quite straight, the kind of results that I was getting after using Tame and shine by VO5, after blowdrying. So in general, if you are thinking about buying this product, go for it, you won't regret it, although it costs quite a lot.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2010 2:14:00 AM More reviews by foryouinfullblossom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

There isn't anything particularly wrong with this product - but I'm just not really sure whether it's working or not.

I use it as a heat protectant before blow-drying or straightening my hair (which I only do about once a month or so). But my hair wasn't downright damaged to begin with, but since it's thick and prone to dryness, I thought I'd be better off with the one for dry, coarse hair. But my hair has pretty much stayed...exactly the same. So I guess I can thank GHD for keeping my hair in a non-damaged state, but I'm pretty sure that it would've been the same whether I had used this product or not.

On the plus side, it has a very pleasing scent to it, but I find the top a little too fiddly for my liking. Overall, I'm probably not going to buy it again, but since I only paid $17 for it and it's lasted a couple of months, I'd say it was a worthwhile experiment.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2010 8:32:00 PM More reviews by expatdbx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Yes Yes and Yes to GHD and their products. I have fairly curly hair and never suffer from damaged end or dryness since I started using their stuff years ago in South Africa. If anyone know where i can find their products in Canada, paleeze let me know. I have the iron but using other not so fab products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2009 8:33:00 PM More reviews by suzannaelektra

I have gone through 2 bottles of this...and I'm not really into hair products. I love the small and feels like it really protects my hair from heat damage. Would recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2009 5:10:00 PM More reviews by NYC22

There are two things in this world that I cannot live without: my GHD flat iron and this heat protectant! They are an amazing pair!

What I really like about this product is that it provides some hold to my hair so that my hair stays very, very straight for days on end - even when I pull it back in a tight ponytail or a bun all day. I also enjoy that it protects my hair for up to 200 degrees Celsius which exceeds the heat that my flat iron gives off. Other products claim to be heat protectors but do not specify how much heat they actually protect your hair from, which makes me suspicious. In addition, this spray allows my flat iron to glide through my hair - I've never experienced any bumps or tugs.

When I use this spray with my flat iron, my hair is transformed. It is sleek, shiny and straight. Obviously a lot of this is due to the flat iron, but this spray gives my hair that extra special something. Don't believe me? I've been using my flat iron with this spray for at least two months and virtually everyone I work with has complimented me -- multiple times! I even had two women come up to me and say, "I'm not gay, but..."

I've read the reviews on the GHD heat protectant for fine to normal hair, and I wanted to address some of the complaints. First off, some people are dismayed because this product contains denatured alcohol and they are afraid that it will dry out their hair. Please let me present my point of view on this: to begin with, research that I have read indicates that denatured alcohol does not hurt your hair and that it is water soluble; second, Paula Begoun reports that alcohol evaporates quickly once it is sprayed and, thus, does not damage hair. From my own personal experience, I have not found this spray to be drying or damaging (and I am on my second bottle). Another issue that I read about was that people were complaining that this product was too sticky on their hair. Occasionally I have found that my hair feels sticky after using this product - but the feeling goes away shortly thereafter. If it does not, consider spritzing a shining mist like Ojon's Shine and Protect Mist or their Revitalizing Mist. I suspect some people that have been dismayed with this product may not have gotten the hang of using it - it may take a little adjustment here and there but it is worth it. After all, how many of us have had to toy with the exact amount of gel to put in or the right angle with which to spray a glossing mist?

Next, I'd like to offer some tips for the applying this spray. For sleeker, flatter hair: section off hair into thin sections, apply 2-3 sprays on each tiny section from near the roots to ends while holding the bottle 6-9 inches away from your hair; if you find that your hair is getting too wet from this spray, spray at an oblique angle or spray your hair from further away. For fuller hair, use larger sections or less sprays. If your hair feels dried out in one area, briefly run a comb through that section. For sticky-feeling hair, see above.

Finally, the downfalls of this heat protectant: while I do not believe this makes my hair sticky, it can make my clothing or body sticky from the scatter effect of the spray. Therefore, when I am using this en mass, I wear old pajamas and rinse my arms afterward. I also think the packaging could stand some improvement. For example, a little too much of this spray comes out at once and I would like it if the nozzle allowed the spray to come out slightly weaker or slightly narrower (perhaps an adjustable nozzle?). Also, the bottle is awkward to hold as it is a moderate size and is triangular. I suggest either a cylinder bottle or a more narrow triangular bottle. However, I hesitate to even think of such thoughts because I wouldn't want anything to negatively impact this product - it's that good!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No