July 30, 2014 | 1772 users online

Other - Zinc

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by koalion

It's actually disgusting that none of the dermatologists I've ever had in my life ever recommended me zinc. I've tried basically everything there is to try for my hormonal acne (big inflamed cysts around the mouth and jawline, tiny whiteheads all over my forehead and hairline, that get dramatically worse when I'm PMSing and on my period). You name it, I've gone through a month-long stint of it--Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena Acne Stress Control, LaRoche Posay, Murad, on to prescription topicals like Tretinoin, Clindamycin, and, most recently, Differin gel.

Some specific background: My hormonal acne wasn't even that bad (maybe just mild, one or two smallish pimples a week) until I fucked up and had to take Plan B for the first time in my life. A few days later my acne EXPLODED across my entire face, deep cysts that refused to budge, every day more pimples that I could tell were in the process of becoming cysts, purple scarring, just horrible. I've always had horrendous PMS and really heavy periods with really bad cramps, but this time around, when my period came (which, sidenote: thank god) it was so heavy I bled through a pad an hour and my cramps were so bad no amount of painkillers could help me. I knew that the Plan B had done something terrible to my whole body--not just my face, and did some research.

I came to the conclusion that I've most likely always had an estrogen dominance, that was just reaaaaally amped up when I took the Plan B. And you guys, you really need to look into this if you think your acne is hormonal. If your acne usually erupts like a bunch of volcanoes on your period, if you have really bad PMS symptoms (extreme mood swings, bloating, insomnia, excessive hunger, painfully sore boobs), or if your periods are really heavy with tons of cramping, it's HIGHLY possible that your acne is caused by an estrogen dominance. Look it up if you don't believe me, there are tons of studies on this.

And, basically, if I condense all the stuff I read in the studies--estrogen dominance results from deficiencies in certain types of vitamins and minerals, and (obviously) too much estrogen, especially if you're taking any sort of contraceptive pill. One of the main things you can do to fix this is to take zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B supplements--three of the major minerals in your body that work to inhibit estrogen.

Anyway! My (really shitty, I now realize) dermatologist wasn't even listening to me when I told her my acne was DEFINITELY caused by the Plan B and was therefore hormonal--and just prescribed me Differin, saying, "all acne is essentially the same." NOPE. That was the last straw. Differin only irritated my skin, made it redder, flakier, and increased breakouts from the irritation, all while my hormonal breakouts continued to erupt across my face.

So, I did the research I told you about, and ordered zinc and vitamin B supplements online. Within TWO HOURS of taking these two supplements, the inflammation of my acne was greatly reduced, my cysts were smaller and softer, and a lot of my tiny white bumps seem to have magically disappeared. A bonus is that my skin has also gotten considerably less oily. It was SO OILY it was practically dripping by noon, but now it's almost at a normal-person level. I've been using these in conjunction with magnesium (which apparently goes well with the other two) for the past week, and I've already seen a dramatic clearing of my volcanic Plan B acne. I also am generally less irritable, sleep better, and, even though it's a week before my period, haven't experienced ANY PMS symptoms, which is a miracle. I'm excited for when my period comes, because I'm anticipating it'll be lighter, and my cramps will be manageable.

Really people, do your own research (of course!) but please try this if you fit the characteristics I described above. I heard this is also a good treatment for people who have just come off of birth control. Topicals and retinoids, I think, can do wonders for acne caused by bacteria, but it does nothing for hormonal acne--I wish my dermatologist had listened to me when I asked about that. I never really believed in holistic treatments before this, but wow, do I believe in them now. I thought Plan B had ruined my face forever, and am so glad I found this information online.

Hope this helps someone!

17 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by staci01

I've been taking zinc off and on for over eleven years and it's one of the most effective things I've found for fighting acne. It doesn't completely stop some of my hormonal acne but it does work for the rest. One warning about zinc is that taking too much of it can cause an imbalance of vitamins and minerals in the body, one of them being copper levels. Two months on and a month off is best.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2014 10:15:00 PM More reviews by valleygirl1993

As anyone can see from all these reviews, zinc works for acne. I have been to my regular dermatologist under my insurance and I have been to two fancy expensive dermatologists in Beverly Hills that I payed out of pocket for and not one of them told me about zinc. I have had chemical peels and everything except for accutane. I went in to beg my regular derm to do something else and he just sent me home with a higher dosage of topical creams. Ridiculous. They have to know about zinc but they wanted to prescribe and make money. I found out about zinc from my stepdad's hockey teammate. This guy is in his late 50's and he told me he knew the cure to acne and that zinc is what he took when he was my age (I'm 20) when he had acne. So apparently taking zinc for acne has been around for a long time.
I had cystic acne that was painful and itchy. Now I might only get a couple small pimples before my period. My scars are finally healing. I have been on zinc for a few months but I noticed major improvement within the first week. I take 30mg a day.
Zinc changed my life. I didn't even want to go out to look for a job because I was so embarrassed about my acne. Now I don't have to wear foundation every day. Anyone who has acne needs to try zinc. Don't fuss with all these topical creams and antibiotics.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by kr7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am 33 yrs old and I have very bad cystic acne. It was treated with tetracycline and Accutane when I was a teenager and I had stellar results. To see my acne return at this age is beyond frustrating. However, I refuse to go back on Accutane based on how dangerous of a drug it is. I was so fed up that I did go on Minocycline just to give my skin a break from the painful cystic bumps and eventual deep scarring. I literally cry because it hurts so bad. I recently have been trying to follow a vegan diet, which, from lots of research, is a diet that leaches zinc from your body. As well, I blame hormones for my breakouts, despite being on birth control continuously and never taking the placebo pills so that I skip having my period (all under my Dr.'s supervision, of course). Anyway, I found this excellent article that has explained exactly what I believe I am going through with Zinc deficiency and I am very hopeful that with consistent usage, it will cure my acne once and for all. At the recommendation of my MD I am also taking Vit. A, B and E and Brewer's yeast, spirulina and Zinc monomethionine with copper at 30 mg/day. I am starting this regime just this week but this article has pointed out very important information about taking Zinc with antibiotics and the proper timing of when to take these meds. I hope this article is helpful to some looking for answers. I didn't realize so many people have a Zinc Deficiency so maybe others will find this encouraging. I will update when I see how this all turns out for me in a few months. Here is the article in the meantime...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2014 1:24:00 PM More reviews by sunkissed0327

I've always had acne. But zinc changed my life, maybe not only zinc but because I changed my routine in face washing. I changed to carrot soap and use the reparing treatment lotion from proactiv, Ialong with my makeup which is now the revlon colorstay foundation in buff and olive oil from filippo that I use as a makeup remover.and most importantly I started using this supplement. And I'm a 100% clear now thank you God. I dose myself with 6 zinc tabs a day 2 each meal from breakfast to dinner. I no longer breakout and I never get oily skin now. It has only been a week but is do notice a big difference on my skin since it has started getting whiter and less red and the spots seem to miraculously disappear. All I can say is that we always learn from trying, I've tried so much of facials tuff just to remove my acne but did te ealize the simple ones would be the most effective of all. Carrot soap has vit a which helps renew skin and helps as well in anti aging, olive oil helps repair and retain moisture in skin, revlon colorstay doesn't clog pores when I remove it with olive oil, and zinc has the super antioxidant our bodies all need. I'm so thankful to God.really, the greTest thing is that I was able to stop using the pore clogging bb cream I always buy from Japan which has always worsened the condition of my skin thNk God so much for this.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2014 3:26:00 PM More reviews by cilybanez

How come zinc isnt working for me:( I took zinc citrate at first for 2 weeks but then I read in sone reviews that zinc picolinate is much more effective so I switched. been almost 4 weeks now, still I cant see a difference. I still get the usual acne that I get when I have my period. I would reeeaaally want this to work for me. can somebody pls tell me why its not working?!:(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Zinc is an important mineral and I take 15 mg a day, which is the recommended daily allowance for adult females.

I am concerned to see people here (who are not medical professionals) advocating taking 100 mg, or even 150 mg!, per day --- the United States government's daily maximum "upper intake level" for zinc is 40 mg, and the United Kingdom government's "safe upper level" is 25 mg.

Although vitamins, minerals, herbs, and some hormones (such as melatonin) are available in the US over-the-counter without a prescription, that does not mean that they are safe taken in any amount whatsoever.

Many of these substances can have serious health consequences, either when the person has a deficiency (not enough) or a surplus (too much) of them.

It may be hard to identify when a substance is building up to toxic levels in your body, because the side effects may not be what you expect, or they may be doing damage on the inside that isn't immediately clear to you.

Also, many vitamins and minerals need to be taken in a balance with each other -- taking too much of one while not taking any of another, or taking 50 times the recommended daily intake of one while only taking 2 times the recommended daily intake of another CAN be really detrimental to your health, over time.

In the example of zinc, it should be taken along with copper. That doesn't mean that if you take a low-dose multi-vitamin that has a small amount of copper in it (usually they will have 1 mg of copper), that you can then go and take 150 mg of zinc in a standalone supplement and be okay for the copper:zinc ratio! The daily one-a-day multi-vitamin will already have the correct zinc and copper ratio in it, so you can't add 10 times the zinc to your daily intake by popping extra zinc pills and rely on the little 1 mg of copper in the one-a-day to balance that amount of zinc out.

The ratio of zinc to copper should be anywhere from 8:1 to 15:1. That means, from 8 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper, to 15 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper - somewhere in those boundaries. Therefore, if you take 30 mg of zinc, take at least 2 mg of copper.

If you take a daily one-a-day multi-vitamin/mineral which probably already has 15 mg of zinc in it and 1 mg of copper, then you also take a standalone zinc supplement of another 15 mg - or even of 30 mg or 50 mg or whatever - then you will need to take a standalone copper supplement that will bring the total zinc:copper ratio into balance again.

And recall that the US recommended *maximum* daily level of zinc is 40 mg, and the UK's is 25 mg. The health department scientists of the national governments do not publish their recommended upper intake maximum levels without doing research and taking many factors into consideration. Yes, sometimes their ideas are pretty conservative, and sometimes there are good medical reasons to go above the recommended upper intake levels, especially of course when one is being treated by a medical professional who knows what she/he is doing, but if you haven't researched the area yourself and know the potential pros and cons, it is folly to dose yourself with a *huge* amount of anything, just because you can buy it on a store shelf without anyone stopping you, because it seems to be harmless in small amounts, and because some of the side effects of taking a toxic amount of it might be what you are looking for (like less skin oil, less acne) -- while some of the detrimental side effects may be doing untold damage to other parts of your body, and you may not even know it.

A few years ago I saw one resource on the internet that said that taking 50 mg of zinc would help painful menstrual cycles, but I checked around and found that there wasn't anything else to back that up. Just as one example, Dr. Ray Sahelian, a proponent of supplements (far more than most American mainstream M.D. doctors are) says on his site that he doesn't know of any research supporting that claim about zinc helping difficult menstrual periods, and he does not recommend a high dose of zinc (not over the RDA of 15 mg a day).

Supplements can have really strong, wonderful effects on the health, and many that I've researched on my own and bought over-the-counter have improved my health (including herbs and hormones). They can also throw you for a big loop, and cause all kinds of unwanted side effects, deficiencies, etc. These things can really be as powerful as prescription drugs, especially in high doses.

If you want to research vitamins and minerals and find the latest evidence, by all means, please look them up widely on the internet, making sure that the sources that you consult are legitimate and relatively trustworthy, and you might try the US government's pubmed.com website which lists research articles and studies from around the world.

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by smee123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I thought this could be it when I read all the glowing reviews on here to fix acne. I've been off bc for almost a year now and I feel like a teenager again. It's depressing, and I didn't go on bc for my skin, but it did make it better. I've been taking zinc for 3 months now and my acne went down maybe 20%. It's better than nothing, but it's not my cure. I started off using the food-based New Chapter 15mg - which didn't do anything - then switched to food-based Garden of LIfe 30mg a day. That's when I noticed a slight change. I haven't tried synthetic versions and I don't plan to, since the reason I went off bc was to have a clean lifestyle. I could up my intake of zinc, but the recommended daily value is 15mg (according to The Immune System Cure) so I won't.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2013 6:20:00 AM More reviews by calooza

I bought zinc from the brand Now Foods (Optizinc - 30mg), which also have copper in it. I take the birth control pill for birth control purposes (obviously) but it never did anything for my acne. I have whiteheads and sometimes inflamed pimples around my jawline, and blackheads in my nose and cheeks. I have also oily skin...

Zinc seemed ok to take, and many people said it helped a lot with their acne and oily skin. I only took it for 2 weeks, because after that i had to take antibiotics, and i was afraid that zinc would affect it's absorption. After one week i had to take it only 2 to 3 times a week, because i was experience a lot of tiredness and a little of nose bleeding... But i notice a difference on my skin. It was looking healthier, less oily and inflamed spots were gone.

I stopped taken it, but i also noticed a difference on my period which came a couple of days after i stopped zinc. The bleeding was really minimal and different from my usual periods, which i clearly attribute to the taking of zinc. Zinc levels play an important role on menstrual cycle, by regulating the hormones. Its proven to make menstrual cramps better, but it also reduces bleeding. (i had no premenstrual pain, which i usually do) I'm now very skeptical about taking it again... if it can do this with my menstrual cycling, it's because is messing with it in certain way, and i'm not really comfortable with that... It's a shame...but i really don't want to mess with my internal system, i can make it worse by not knowing exactly what kind of imbalance i have.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by Idahlia7

I swear by zinc. I buy the HEB brand and it tastes and smells sweet, so that's a plus! I began taking two 50mg pills every night, which took effect after about a month. My skin was flawless. After I ran out of pills, I tried a different brand. Sunset Valley I believe, I took two 30mg pills per night..in an effort to reduce my dosage....it made my skin worse! It was as if I hadn't taken zinc to begin with! I resorted back to the $3 generic HEB brand, only taking one 50mg pill every night. My skin started improving immediately. I guess my body had adjusted to the HEB brand so when I switched brands it tried to adjust? Long story-short, I will never switch brands again and I would recommend this product to anyone! Zinc is the only product that has continuously worked wonders on my skin!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No