December 18, 2014 | 844 users online

Hair - L'Oreal - Excellence Cremelights Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 5:44:00 PM More reviews by sherryb0914

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a miracle product. I've used it off and on since 2001 and have never had a bad experience. My best experience ever was using it to undo black permanent hair color. Years ago I had used permanent black hair color (box color from drug store) that just would NOT fade. I bought two boxes of this stuff and put it on ALL of my hair. I let it process and voila, my hair was a nice light brown and all I had to do was tone it a bit. Stylists had told me using a stripper to get the black out would be way too damaging and I'd never be blonde again until I grew it out. After round 1 I waited a few weeks to let my hair recover and then I went for round 2. Again, I used it on my entire head of hair. This time I came out light blonde with a slight yellow tint. I used the shimmer lights shampoo and ended up with beautiful pale blonde hair that I got tons of compliments on. Best of all, my hair did not feel damaged at all. The color came out so good people were always surprised I did it myself. To maintain the color I just used this same product on my roots. I don't know why more salons do not use this product. It is way less damaging than the salon highlights I've gotten throughout the years. It's also a super easy way to go blonde and doesn't trash your hair like bleach does.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2013 7:50:00 AM More reviews by mzkitty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for over 15 years. I do not use it for highlights, but for root touch ups. if you're looking to go bleach blonde this is for you. Lifts amazingly, no orange. I have rather dark hair. I actually bring it to my stylist. Doesn't smell like bleach, but lifts better than a bleach. Doesn't burn your scalp like bleach does. only thing , it is thick consistency and dries fast. May want to wear a plastic cap to prevent it from getting too dry. if applying to roots, check for even application in about 5 minutes as to avoid dark spots. Do check the progress , time of process may vary depending on the results you want to reach. I'm not a professional, these are only suggestions, not responsible for results. If you are looking for that really blonde look this is your product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I was ready to try and do my own hair and stop paying loads of money to never get the results I wanted. I would closely watch my stylists do my hair and I knew I could conquer it. So I read reviews and bought this kit at sally's. Let me tell you, I have dark/dyed hair that usually takes hours to achieve a somewhat noticeable lift. I always hear the same story from every hair stylist about how my hair is too dark and how I'll have to return numerous times to achieve that sun kissed look. This product lifted my hair from dark brown to blonde within 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, it came out BLONDE. So blonde that I ran to sally's to tone it down to a lighter brown/golden blonde color. I fell in love with my hair and I get tons of compliments. I did my own balayage highlights. I would recommend purchasing a toner to get rid of the brassy/orange color. In the end, I feel like this product is somewhat better than ordinary bleach because you don't have it on your hair for more than 15 minutes. Meanwhile, at a salon they leave bleach for hours at a time. Happy Coloring!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I used to color my own hair. I havenít had my natural color in over 10 years, and for about 7 of those I was coloring myself, with varying levels of success.

I finally turned to a stylist after having black hair for a long time, and despite always using temporary color, I couldnít get rig of it. A few attempts to fix it turned out to be disastrous, and so my friend referred me to a fabulous stylist who used highlights to slowly grow out my hair to its natural color. I ended up loving the look of highlights and kept getting them for about 3 years. However, it is a pain keeping up with them because my hair grows crazy fast. As much as I love it, and I think she is worth every penny, I am back in college, SO and I just moved into a house, and I was looking for something much less expensive and with easier upkeep. Naturally, I turned to MUA.

At first I wasnít even going to toy with the idea of doing my own highlights, but after reading so many reviews, and watching some videos, and paying close attention to how the stylist did my foils, I thought I would give it a try and take the risk knowing that the worse case scenario is that I go crawling back to my stylist for her to fix yet another bad die job. It couldnít be any worse then what I have already given her to fix (black hair, and horrible DS box red)

So, I went to sallyís, and for under $25 I bought mixing bowls, applicators, gloves, creamlights kit, highlighting capÖ. I compared to over $100, I was now sure it was worth the risk.

I read the instructions and pulled my hair though the cap, using every hole, which was not as easy as it sounds. You need to find a friend to help you if you want to do all over color. I recruited my other half, and he was not excited about doing it, even after reminding him we are saving more then $70 here, he said he never wants to do that again. Previously I had all over highlights and low lights that were very thin. My hair is naturally very curly with spiral curls and these thin highlights really help make the spirals very visible, however, when straightened the are so thin they look very blended. I knew I wasnít going to get as thin of highlights this way, but I thought it would still look fine in my curly as well as straight.

I left if on for the recommended time, and washed my hair. It did not fry my hair at all, which is already naturally very dry. I think pulling it through the cap did more damage then anything Ė so considering how gentile it is, I am amazed that it actually did lighten my hair, which is naturally a medium brown which is very dull and ashy.

I wasnít too happy with the results. I think I should have left it on longer because it came out very yellow-y and very fake looking. Only small potions came out blonde. Also, despite using a cap, it did not give me even highlights all over. There were a ton on my crown, and the lower half was much more sparse. I am sure some would like this, but my hair is really thick and I like the highlights all over. They also did not get close enough to the roots, and it looked like I had 2 weeks worth of out growth. Not what I had in mind.

I tried it again, this time with foils. The foil method was easier and less damaging. I had a lot more control, but again, I could really only do my crown myself. I was able to get closer to the roots this time, but it still wasnít close enough.

The results: much chunkier, still too yellow and slightly brassy. It was now too blonde for my liking.

I think both times I did not leave it on long enough. I thought the foils would make for better results in terms of lightening, but I still think it needed more time. I really should have done a strand test to get my timing right.

I ended up dieing over with an Ion Demi-perm color. Now thatís a whole other fiasco.

I imagine if I kept trying this, and got the timing right and my method down, it would be great, but I just donít have the patience for it anymore. I will recommend this to my sister, however, who has hair that is dirty blond and likes to lighten her hair. I imagine this will work perfect for her. While I wasnít totally excited about it, after dying a darker color over it, it added a lot of dimension to what would otherwise be just one solid color. I could see myself using it for that purpose in the future, but Iím not sure. It might not be worth the effort.

If you are going to do this, practice foiling & get a friend to help. Have some toner on hand Ė there is a shade of Demi by Ion that is recommended for toning. It is worth it to have on hand, just in case. I wished I had taken that recommendation the first time, and I might have been happier with the results.

I might try this again, but for now, I guess being a brunette is easier.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2010 12:36:00 PM More reviews by susie441

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used the the peach box version of this for over 7 years and was distraught that L'Oreal discontinued the consumer line that you could buy at drug stores. I just tried the yellow box from Sally Beauty Supply and the results are as good if not better than the peach box!!! I have dark blonde/light brown hair and I left the creme on for 35 minutes without heat. The color is so dimensional and shiny. I have never experienced damaged hair from this product and the color lasts forever. I use it every 3-4 months and it's a fabulous value considering I used to spend $120+ for highlights at the salon. I highly recommend this product :)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2010 11:27:00 PM More reviews by xbabyrissx89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is so amazing! i have naturally almost black hair...i have had everything from red highlights, to light brown hair, to dyed black....even with black hair dye still on my hair this product lightnened my hair to a jlo-esque caramel color with beautiful honey blonde highlights!! its my dream color and i have always attempted to get it with regular bleach! but this no ammonia formula somehow worked better than ones with ammonia strange huh?

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2010 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Vac513

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

EDIT: It's been a couple weeks now, so I thought I'd update. The highlights have toned down just a bit since I first colored, but the color is GORGEOUS now - no toner required. My hair is healthy, shiny, and happy. I'm even more thrilled than I was! :) (end edit)

If you are looking for gentle, natural-looking highlights you can do from home, I'm convinced that the professional version of this (the yellow box version from Sally's) is your absolute best bet. Read on for my personal experience with Cremelights - but remember, YMMV! :)

I have previously colored hair that I've been slowly working back to its natural color, which is a neutral dark blonde. Now that it's pretty much there this spring, I was getting tired of the mousy look that dark blonde hair has when it's all the same color throughout. Thus, I decided to put some highlights in, but I was scared. I am not an expert on lightening hair by any means. A friend recommended that I try the Touch On Highlights from L'Oreal, so I tried those on the very crown and front of my hair. Unfortunately, I didn't leave them on quite long enough, so they were brassier than I would have liked. Plus, I really had wanted more subtle, natural highlights throughout my hair, not just on the top. So off I went to Sally's for a demi permanent toner, which luckily turned those highlights a darker, buttery blonde. It was something, but not really what I was looking for, so I looked to MUA.

That's when I found out about these Excellence Cremelights. I decided to wait a week to highlight again to give my hair some time to recover, but I went and bought the Cremelights, a mixing bowl, a brush, and a highlighting cap from Sally's so I wouldn't chicken out. Once I had the stuff, the waiting game was difficult, but I held out.

Once a week had passed, I put on the highlighting cap and pulled SMALL strands of hair through every other hole (I think this is key to a natural look - pull large clumps of hair out, and it's not going to look natural). Near the front, I pulled hair out of a few extra holes, but not all. My hair is shoulder length and I didn't think I'd need the whole box, so I mixed 1/2 of the developer, 1/2 of the highlighting cream, and 1 packet of highlighting powder (the kit comes with 2) together with the brush until it was a nice, creamy paste. I then applied it to my hair. The consistency was great... No dripping or anything. I then let the color process for about 10 minutes and I scraped some off the strands in the front. As I expected, the previously highlighted sections were taking the processing FAST, so I gave them about 5 more minutes and washed out the cremelights in that area only. I kept checking the back and sides of my hair every 5 minutes, and I hopped into the shower after about 25 minutes of processing time to wash out all the lightener. I did lose a tiny bit of hair when I pulled off the highlighting cap, but it was probably 5 to 10 hairs max. I then applied a deep conditioning treatment and let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinsed.

I was nervous as I blow dried my hair, but I have to say that once it was dry, my hair looked GORGEOUS. My hair now has a dark blonde base with a gorgeous, shimmery medium neutral blonde throughout. In the front, those buttery golden highlights from the Touch On highlights blend BEAUTIFULLY with lighter neutral blonde pieces. It's so lovely, I haven't even had these results from a salon before! My hair is very soft and doesn't seem very damaged. I am thrilled. I'd highly recommend Cremelights to anyone who is going for a natural look.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2009 1:57:00 AM More reviews by carbon12011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product after doing an extensive review of consumer comments on this site. I have colored before and ended up with orange Tigger stripes in my hair. Naturally, I was hesitant in making another attempt that would lead to another $200 visit to my hair stylist. I bought the yellow Loreal Excellence Cremelights Highlighting Kit and watched many videos on You Tube on how to do foiling highlights to hone my technique. In preparation for the color- I had pre-folded a dozen aluminum foil sheets, sought out snug rubber gloves where my fingers do not slide around, bought a small toothbrush and a 16oz. plastic bin from the 99 cent store. I guesstimated that the whole package was too much for my 18" hair. I only used one packet, halved the tube of creme and used half the developer. My plan of attack was to start from the front and conquer the face framing pieces first and alternate from one side of my head to the other. I recalled from chemistry that peroxide tends to lose efficacy very quickly and I figured that if the pieces in the front were too light, it would look the most natural. It was the ideal area for face framing highlights and would need less fixing if overdeveloped. I also pre-empted any disaster by having a box of brown hair dye on hand. Using a rat tail comb, I sectioned of an 1.5" piece of hair then weaved through it to obtain smaller thinner strips of hair. I put a piece of foil down underneath the hair I was going to highlight. Using the toothbrush, I picked up a large amount of the dye. Positioning the toothbrush straight up and down, I ran the dye down the length of the hair. I repeated the process until all the hair that was sectioned off was soaked/blue and then folded the foil up. I foiled my hair with four different packets around the crown of my head. Then, turning the toothbrush vertically, I randomly applied stripes underneath the foil packets to add dimension to the rest of the hair since they were going to need less time to develop since I was hoping that these came out darker anyway to add depth to the rest of the hair. Retaining the rest of the dye, I put the timer on for 25 min instead of the recommended 35 min. After 10 min, I rinsed off the color of the first foil packet I folded. It turned a dark brown so I reapplied the dye from my excess stash and refolded it. I checked again after another 5 min., saw that it was super blond so I removed all the foils and quickly jumped into the shower. After the whole ordeal was over, I was left with J-Lo caramel highlights that I had been lusting after... without the previous brassiness or the price tag! My hair texture had improved significantly after the treatment. I look forward to using the rest later!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2009 4:26:00 PM More reviews by anna999

Whats the difference in the results for the one in the yellow box and the pink box? I have almost black curly hair .. which i straighten.. everytime i used a highlighting product or light haircolour in the past my hair would break..
I used the one in the pink box and got good results , lightish caramel highlights.. but they look darker now dunno why..
I want to use this product again but want lighter results.. Will the one in the yellow box work better? Is it the same formula as the pink box? ( Non drying.. non breakage)..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2008 3:45:00 PM More reviews by fabulousjason

This is the best highlighting kit that I have ever used. It is so much gentler than anything else I have tried, and the color never turns brassy on me (which has happened even at the salon several times). I have naturally dark brown hair. I usually leave it on about 25 min. and it turns a nice carmel blonde color. The first time I used it, I left it on close to 40 min and it turned pale almost white blonde, and I had to use a toner over it (it was my own fault obviously for leaving it on too long). I will never pay for salon highlights again. I used foil to seperate the pieces.