July 22, 2014 | 2267 users online

Top/Base Coats - Mavala - Ridge Filler

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by av315

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I hate to ruin this product's perfect score but my experience has NOT been good with this. I had acrylic nails to stop me from biting my nails. Half of my nails are now thinner where the acrylics used to be. No matter how nicely I paint my nails, without a great base coat, you can see the bottom half of my nail where it was leveled/filed down. For the price and the great reviews this got, I thought it would fix this but it did not. I did two coats and when I added two coats of polish, my nails still looked uneven. A polish I bought in Brazil for a couple bucks and that nobody has ever heard of (it wasn't even identified as a base coat/ridge filler/top coat) took care of this problem but I have run out of it unfortunately. Another problem with Mavala Ridge Filler is the CRAZY BUBBLES! I was sure that I was going to at least find one reference to this problem here but I haven't so I'm just leaving this review for any poor soul who has the same problem so that they know they're not alone. One coat is not enough to make any improvement on my ridges so I need to put at least two (again, that's still not enough to make them look good but I keep trying for some reason). I have tried two thin coats, one thin and one normal coat, two normal to thick and nothing prevents a MILLION BUBBLES from appearing. I've never seen anything like it. I don't shake the bottle, I don't keep it near heat. It makes it look like I have herpes on my nails, it's disgusting. All that being said, if you have decent nails I can imagine this being sufficient as it dries quickly and leaves a very pleasant, smooth, glass-like surface. But, again, for the price and the fact that it specifically a ridge-filling base coat, I expected it to be able to correct the slight unevenness of my post-acrylic nails. I wouldn't even give it 3 stars but I don't want to obliterate the product's overall score in case I got a bad bottle or something. Would love to get recommendations for other base coats that are good for using post-acrylic removal!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Nosage

This is THE best base coat. I started to use it when I developed a ridge on my big toe and this proved the best smoothing surface so that the ridge disappeared when I applied colour. My ridge has grown out now but I still continue to buy as it is the perfect no gimmicks primer. Tad expensive but lasts a while. I only use one coat. Quite old fashioned bottle but that's a minor detail. Quite hard to find in UK shops...smaller independent chemists sometimes sell it, and somee department stores too. I buy online where it tends to be cheaper. Comes in two sizes - I have the smaller one at the moment (5ml) but prefer the larger bottle as it is easier to handle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2012 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

A very good product since it does fill in ridges unlike other products that only promise it. It's easy to apply (might need to apply 2-3 coats if the ridges are too deep). Applying multiple coats isn't a problem as it dries quickly.The finish is matte, thus, can be used alone for a natural look.
The only con is your nails can acquire a yellow shade if you reapply the product several times.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2010 7:00:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Mavala's Ridge Filler is like make-up foundation for nails; it provides a nice smooth matte surface for the nail bed by evening out any ridges and other irregularities. I usually use only one coat but like to add another coat for my thumb nails, which tend to be more uneven. It makes coloured nail polish application easier, but also looks good alone, or with just a clear top coat. The bottle isn't very nice to look at (VERY plain and boring), but it's what inside that counts ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2010 9:09:00 AM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love it. Makes your nails a perfect, flat backdrop for colour. They have never looked so good! I only needed one coat, but you can use two for nails with deeper ridges. A manicure staple.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2010 6:30:00 AM More reviews by wishful10

This is my new favourite base coat. It's a lot like China Glaze Ridge Filler in colour but it's much thicker. This doesn't mean it's more difficult to work with, it glides onto the nail really well and the brush is excellent to work with too. I usually apply one coat before polish but in some circumstances (really bad nails or awkward metallic polish) I apply 2 thin coats. 2 coats gives a very very smooth finish to the nail even if it looks a bit thick after your polish and top coat has been applied.

I don't mind the packaging, it's a little medicinal looking, not particularly stylish but what's inside is worth it!

I will definitely be buying this again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2009 9:13:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

Mavala Ridge Filler is opaque pinkish beige in the bottle. One coat adds a tiny bit of transparent beige color. It works well under polish to provide a smooth base and dries relatively quickly. If used by itself, without polish, two or more coats should be applied.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2009 8:04:00 AM More reviews by danai

Ladies, I have finally found my holy grail base coat and it is this product here. What it claims to do is even out the surface of uneven nails, so that the polish can go on evenly and look good. My hand nails are ok for the most part, my two big toenails however...Ugh where do I begin? They are very difficult to deal with and very uneven; some parts of them are thicker and some are thinner; they tend to break easily and form discolorations without obvious reason; they even tend to penetrate my skin on the sides but that's another story. To top that off, this winter I was wearing a pair of shoes that somehow damaged my toenails even more; some little metal thingies inside them pretty much formed deep ridges on my toenails. So as soon as I needed to wear sandals, I went out to look for something that would deal with the disaster, and this product by Mavala seemed to be the only one available suited for my case.
This here is a creamy polish that looks light pink in the bottle. It goes on absolutely sheer and once it's dry, it's completely matte, like you're wearing nothing. Therefore, as is stated on the package, it's perfectly good to be used by guys too. Now does it work? Thankfully it does; it works like a charm. It makes my nails THE perfect blank canvas. My toenails, being badly damaged, do need two coats of this to be completely prepared to take nail polish; once those coats are dry I can paint them like they were absolutely even, and provided the polish is opaque, you cannot notice their surface is in fact very far from perfect. To make a long story short, this base coat saved my pedicure.
Furthermore I also use it on my hand nails now. Those are not uneven, however a coat of this product before my polish makes it go on absolutely smooth and without stripes. To give you an idea, I mostly use Maybelline's Express Finish polishes, which can be tricky to get an even, smooth application from; however on top of this they slide on effotlessly, as if I were applying them on a glass surface. The result is just perfect.
The only problem with this product is the price; it's quite expensive in fact. It's not more expensive than professional/salon nail polish though (OPI is 15 here), so it's definitely worth it.
Even when my toe nails get back to (somewhat) normal, I will continue using this. It literally turns my nails into a perfect blank canvas.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No