April 17, 2014 | 1460 users online

Styling Products - Homemade Sea Salt Spray

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I had been wanting to try a wave enhancing salt/beach spray for quite awhile... but didn't want to shell out money for yet another hair product that might end up being disappointing. So, I decided to give the homemade version a try- heck, it was free since I already had all of the required ingredients already. This works great- it softly enhances waves and you can tweak the formula based on your personal preferences. The only downside is that if you find a concoction that really works, it can be really hard (at least for me) to replicate it the next time you go to make it. Perhaps I should take notes next time! But after making the initial batch, I usually tweak it, adding a little more of this and then a little more of that, so I am never sure of the exact measurements. Sometimes it's hard to get right the next time you make it. But, the drawbacks are worth it due to the price... FREE.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I cheated and made this w regular salt cause that's all I had. I took an 8 oz almost empty Bb Tonic spray bottle w a tad left and put in water, some salt, some ojon oil, a blop of curl scrunching gel, and some lavender essential oil. I didn't really measure. It works great!! Put in dry or damp hair and scrunch. It seems to work better when my hair is dry for some reason; I mean, it's mostly water so that dampens it anyway. My 2a waves are amped up major. I have that piece-y, super wavy hair. It almost looks like I got a perm haha JK. i don't use every day though since I have dry hair. This would probably be a godsend to people with oily hair. So be warned! I'm sure actual sea salt is better for your hair so use that. But just so ya know it DOES work w regular salt!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by Mocksoup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wasn't so sure when I first sprayed this that it would work on my poker straight hair. I couldn't have been more wrong. Love it. Just love it. It gives me a beachy wave look, I use a straightening iron over hair twists, let it cool and then separate the twists, gently. Then I spray scrunching up my hair and letting it dry.

My recipe is:
1 cup of boiled water (let cool slightly)
1 tbsp of Epsom Salt (less drying than sea salt)
1 tsp of Aloe Vera Gel
1 tsp L'Oreal Evercream Conditioner (it's a thick cleansing conditioner like Wen)
6 drops of Argan oil
Empty 8 oz spray bottle.

Mix the ingredients in order in a heat proof container (a pyrex measuring cup works great) and let cool to the touch. Pour into the spray bottle and use whenever you would use Beach Spray. Long lasting.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by ExpatBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

* PRODUCT – DIY Surf Spray
* HAIR PROFILE – Layered, long, thick hair. Somewhat wavy. Tendency to get oily after a day or two.
* REVIEW – I just returned from a tropical beach holiday and now that I’m back at home, I’ve missed having that sexy, wind-blown beach hair that I had every day whilst on vacation. I’ve read/heard much about Bumble and bumble’s Surf Spray but at € 28 each here in Brussels (ouch!), the price is a bit steep. So, I did a little investigating, a lot of experimenting, and voila! I finally figured out perfect DIY Surf Spray recipe for my hair.

* MY RECIPE:
• 1 cup distilled water, warmed up
• 2 teaspoons of coarse sea salt or Epsom salt (the more you use, the more textured your results – just experiment to see what works best for you)
• 1 teaspoon hair gel
• ½ tablespoon leave-in hair conditioner
• 4-5 drops of coconut oil or Argan oil or your favorite multi-usage oil (I adore Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse)

* INSTRUCTIONS - Combine all of the ingredients. Store in a spray bottle and shake well before using. (If you need to control frizz, or want extra volume, please refer to helpful tips below now.) Spray throughout, and work it through with your fingers to the ends. Don’t be afraid to apply it liberally. Then, section off your hair into separate pieces, cupping the ends in your hand, scrunching up the ends (like an accordion) to encourage waves/curls. You can either let it air dry naturally or blow-dry with a diffuser, and you’re good to go!

* HELPFUL TIPS & SUGGESTIONS:

(1) FRAGRANCE – The spray recipe is fairly un-fragranced. So, if you want to add a fragrance, simply add a couple of spritzes of your favorite perfume.
>> > Example: I add a couple of spritzes of Yves Rocher Monoï Eau des Vahinés because the scent is Tahitian-paradise-in-a-bottle. Absolutely island-style divine.
(2) TO MINIMIZE FRIZZ - If your hair is naturally dry or coarse, rub on a dime or quarter size amount (depending on the length of your hair) of styling cream to moisturize and control any fly-aways beforehand. This is also the secret to getting that breeze-y effect.
>> > Example: I use Bumble and bumble Styling Crème. I got it in a swap from a friend so it cost me nothing. It’s lightweight and adds noticeable texture and hold without weighing my hair down.
(3) FOR EXTRA VOLUME – Apply a volumizing product such as a mousse, lotion, or gel to the roots beforehand. This will help to give your hair that extra lift!
>> > Example: I use John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse.
(4) FOR EXTRA WAVES – Create waves by lightly wrapping random strands around the barrel of a clip-less curling iron or a curling wand, focusing on the area from the root to the mid-shaft. Leave your ends free - this will give you that natural, windswept kind of look you’re after. This will also polish up a few random pieces of hair for extra definition.
>> > Example: I use the Remington T-Studio Pearl Curling Wand.
(5) FOR EVEN **MORE** VOLUME – Set sparingly with a volumizing hair spray, hair tossed upside-down while spraying. Now you're ready for the red carpet!
>> > Example: I use L'Oreal Elnett Satin Very Volume Hairspray.
(6) TO MAINTAIN THE BEACHY LOOK – To maintain this look the day after, I simply apply a little dry shampoo to the roots, if needed, and couple spritzes of the salt spray to rejuvenate my waves. This brings my hair back to life again.
>> > Example: I use Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk.

* CONS – Salt sprays can be drying on the hair if used every day. Therefore, always remember to introduce moisture back into the hair with a deep conditioner or a moisturizing hair serum as part of your regular hair care regimen. (That being said however, if your hair is like mine and ends up oily a day or two after washing, this salt spray is great!)
* PRICE – Next to nothing if you have all the ingredients already. Otherwise, a couple of € (or $ or £). Much cheaper than a 4 oz. bottle of the Bumble and bumble Surf Spray.
* VERDICT – Wow, am I so thrilled to have discovered this DIY Surf Spray. What I like about my recipe is that the added leave-in hair conditioner and oil helps to combat the drying effect the sea salt has on the hair. My hair is beachy wavy but it's also soft, touchable, and manageable; not crunchy and not stiff! Personally, I found that applying this on freshly washed toweled damp hair works best for me. However, it also works pretty well on hair that hasn’t been washed in a day or two as well. What I like about this is: (a) it costs next to nothing to make and (b) it gives me that sexy summer hair all-year round, wherever and whenever I want it. Now *this* gives me the tousled, beachy Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson, and Gisele Bündchen hair that I’ve always wanted but never thought I could achieve without the help of a Hollywood Glam Squad to do my hair every day! Highly, highly recommended!

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Phoebelee2451

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is amazing!! I usually never get wavy hair, but this time, I got beautiful waves!!! I will make this again and again!! Thank you so much for posting how to make it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2012 8:11:00 PM More reviews by monicaking77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have 1c hair and basically either have to decide to blow it out straight or curl it with an iron because I have lots of layers and when it drys my natural body wave comes out and looks strange. This sea salt spray and a bit of scrunching will define my wave and perk it up enough to rock my natural texture. I use 8 oz. of hot water with 1/2 tbsp of sea salt, a squeeze of medium hold frizz fighting gel (Aussie brand), and a large glob of Joico Balancing conditioner (smells like a pina colada). :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2012 2:51:00 AM More reviews by sparklepop

This is genius. I have thick hair that ranges from wavy to very curly, and I am always looking for a way to do "beachy waves." I found this recipe for homemade beach spray on Pinterest.
-Fill a spray bottle with warm water.
-Add 1 tbsp fine sea salt, ~1 tsp coconut oil, and a dab of hair gel (I used LA Looks Cashmere Curls).
-Shake and spray generously on hair.

My hair routine is to apply a small amount of Beyond the Zone's Noodle Head styling cream to my wet hair out of the shower. I scrunch with a t-shirt and wait for my hair to air dry, then spray some salt spray on and scrunch some more. Occasionally, I do spritz this on my hair while it's still soaking wet. It works great either way. I also spray it on throughout the day to refresh my hair.

Voila! Perfect sexy-messy bohemian waves!

I can't believe how much this actually smells like the beach. The salt in the spray makes my waves beachy-textured and slightly crispy, while the coconut oil makes my hair feel super soft.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by paintedtoes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This DIY Salt Spray is the only one I have tried, and it faded my hair. I'm 65, only have concentrated gray on my crown with little elsewhere, but my rich dark brown has faded to a mousy lighter color so I color it every 8 weeks with a permanent dye. I had a haircut and color last week and my stylist remarked she had never seen my hair so faded, and my natural color almost matched the dyed section. Several people had also mentioned my hair looked "lighter." The only thing I used that was new was the salt spray. I recall now I grew up on the beach in NYC, and how much the ocean water faded my swimsuits. Oh well, my hair is thin and fine and I loved the extra body while I had it....

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by vanessa15

My mix:

I didn't have an 8 oz. bottle, so i used a much smaller one, therefore using probably 1/2 a tablespoon of fine sea salt.
Aussie 3-minute miracle deep conditioner
Paul Mitchell Firm hold gel

My waves look so much more defined and prettier, also much softer compared to other products I've used (probably cuz of the Aussie conditioner).

It smells great, and I'll probably experiment some more and add other products lying around.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2012 12:11:00 AM More reviews by paintednightsky

Works amazing and so cheap. I have long hair and am lazy with my hair and waves is no fuss. I spray it on and tie my hair in a bun before work while doing makeup and off I go. It seems like all the beach salt sprays were discontinued, first John Frieda and then the Sunsilk I was using. This is a great alternative and works just as good. You can customize it with whatever you have on hand. I did 4 oz of water (I only had that size bottle) and I put in 1 tsp epsom salt and 1 tsp fancy kitchen sea salt and than a squirt of suave lilac and lavender conditioner. I think I'll try adding a squirt of gel or hair spray maybe and see how that holds up. There are also plenty of sites out there where you can buy hydrolized silk and such and think I might experiment when I have more time.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No