Becca Mattifying Primer

3.0

Aqua (Water), Hydrogenated Didecene, Glycerin, PVP, Ricinus Communis Oil (Ricinus Communis [Castor] Seed Oil), Sorbitan Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis [Jojoba] Seed Oil), Boron Nitride, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Propylene Glycol Isostearate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Squalane, Glyceryl Isostearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Oleth-25, Ceteth-25, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Tropolone And May Contain [+/-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77491).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

OK I think i figured this thing out.

At first, I used it all over. Don't! It's kind of sticky, doesn't spread well AT ALL and dries insanely fast. I wore it all over on new years eve and when i went to the bathroom after a few hours i noticed how cakey and set in my frown lines my makeup was! Whatever you do, don't add a huge glob of it to try and spread it all over, it's just embarrassing!

I thought about returning it, and then I read about PATTING down in select areas that need it most.. for example, your T-Zone. I wasn't about to put this sticky mess all over my face again so instead, i used my regular primer as I always do, and then I pat this stuff around my T-zone areas on top of it.

It works. I'm usually a shiny disgusting oil slick as the day progresses and this really helps to control oil in those spots. You definitely wont have to blot as often.

It absolutely SUCKS that the product doesn't spread well and I cant use this all over my face but then again, I don't really need to so long as I use my original primer and just enough of this primer for my T-zone. At that rate, this product will last forever. Can't say I planned on ever using two primers but I gotta tell ya, this extra bit helps with the oil control.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Ok, I have read reviews on it, and it seems really extreme, some people love about it, some people hate it. But me, I kinda like it.
I have very oily skin, extremely oily on my T-zone, now bear in mind, i meant extremely oily in my t-zone.
The first time i squeeze the product out, i immediately notice that the texture product is a little bit different than other primers i have ever tried. I read reviews saying that the consistency of the product is a little strange, yes i agree. Plus, it is very hard to get the product out, every time i squeeze the bottle, the product comes out a tiny bit.
So i only use this product on my tzone, where i am extremely oily, for the rest of my face i used the laura mercier primer, the oil-free one.
The first time i applied it on my t-zone, i notice it immediately absorb to my skin, looking kinda matte on my skin. It just feels different than any other primers i tried which claims to help you stay matte. By the way, my tzone is so oily that benefit porefessional and it's Dr Feel Good will not work for me.
The foundation I used is the Estee Lauder double wear, the powder i set my makeup with is Urban Decay De-Slick mattifying powder and for the first 5 hours, it's shine proof, i am so impressed. In the next couple hours, i did use the UD powder again to touch up on it.
Like i said, i have used numerous primers before, but this one helps with the oily on my t-zone for about 6 hours, im sure if i pair it with a more matte foundation and maybe a makeup setting spray(oil control one), it would last longer.
I like it a lot for my t-zone, for the rest of my face, it's oily too, but not super oily, so i would not use it for my full face.
Again, if your combo-oily skin, do not use it, cuz it makes your foundation sets down really quick, it is possible for you to get dry patches if you dont have super oily skin like me. Also, if your thinking buying this product, it costs about 38 dollars, which to me, it is a little bit expensive, so definitely think thru it before you buy it. But for this primer, if it's not for a full face use, a little goes a long way.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Not my favorite foundation primer. I have very oily skin; I blot with blotting papers all day long, touch up with powder, use mattifying EVERYTHING... and this primer made my oil worse.

The texture of very strange, it almost pulls up in your hands. The packaging said to rub between you fingers and press into the skin. It goes on sticky and almost feels like a thin film over the skins surface. Initially once it's set and you put your foundation on it looks fabulous, but about an hour into wear I begin to experience oil breakdown on my face. It's worse than if I didn't wear any primer at all. It might be good for those who aren't as oily as I am, but it's definitely not mattifying enough for my skin care needs.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff freaks me out. When I rubbed it in it felt dry and sticky, I don't know how to explain it. The more I rubbed it in, the gross-er it got because it started to dry and pill up on my skin. Once I was able to get my foundation on, I didn't notice any mattifying or oil controlling properties. This was a waste of money and time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This really did nothing for my oilyness and make my skin look weird and cakey and dry, will not be repurchasing.

If you want to look like a cupcake then get it.

I did exactly what all the reviewers and MUA told me to do, to put it on my hand first and let it sit there. Did that and then put it on my face and about an hr later my makeup looked like it was cracking everywhere.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Horrible! This is the worst primer I ever tried. Even worse than Maybelline's pore eraser. I'm unsure if this contains alcohol but definitely felt like it burns my skin. I'm done with this for sure

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

THIS IS PROBABLY THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER TRIED!
And i've tried my fain share of primers!!

First of all this primer is advertised as being for oily skin, however it should be noted on the bottle that if you are not one of the very few people of which cannot even apply make up on your face because you are so slick with oil, then you should steer clear of this mess! Secondly, the texture is weird, being thick and moist half way between a gel and a mouse, but don't let that wetness fool you because as soon as you rub it into your skin it starts to loose its slip. The formula is too quick-dry making it annoying to apply because it eventually becomes similar to the task of rubbing propolis honey on your face minus the sweet smell! Thirdly it dries the crap out of your skin. Yes it prevents oil from breaking up your makeup. Yes it prevents you from shining and having to blot but it does so at the expense of the moisture in your skin. It dries white on the skin absorbing surface oil and having you look like a ghost in no time. But its all fine and dandy until the next day when your dry (and potentially flakey given the reviews of the other oily skinned MUAs I have worked with!). And this may seem great but let me tell you that its hell! my makeup never sits properly the next day and no matter what I do to try and correct my transgressions I do so in vain because my skin refuses to cooperate and remains dry and creasy for the rest of that next day.

I always always regret re-trying this product after my first attempt but no amount of oil, or serum can prepare my skin for that mess. This primer was very obviously made for the oiliest of the oily skinned dames out there, and should not be tried by anyone who feels they do not fit into that category or that id not interested in the potentially emotionally scaring experience.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I have a love-hate relationship with this product honestly. Part of me never wants to leave this primer and the other part of me wants to throw it out of the window, seriously.

I have extremely oily skin, I mean, I am an oil slick within less than an hour kind of oily. Huge pores but overall clear skin. And not to mention, I live in hot, humid Florida.

When I try out a product, I like to try it in different ways and in conjunction with different products. So the first day I wore it after I put on a thin layer of MoM, then Sephora's mattifant moisturizer. Then I followed the directions of the reviewers below: took a tiny bit, rubbed between two clean fingers, and applied lightly and to small sections. At first I put too much and like many have said, my makeup looked scaly and patchy. I was horrified! But I was also very determined, so I tried again. I tried to avoid sections I already applied to and smooth it out a little more and the result are a lot better but depending on the foundation (most foundations) will cling to the areas with the primer and they look cakey and weird. I tried it with Ulta's matte primer (which doesnt keep me matte but does smooth things out) and it looks fabulous! but when you think of all the time, energy, and extra money into buying another primer on top of it (when it's already expensive) that's needed to make this primer look good I wonder if it's worth it. Also it does absolutely nothing for my pores which it claims to be poreless so that's a bummer. BUT I've never had anything that kept my oil at bay for so long (about 5-6 hours).

Now, I also tried it without the MoM and the results were not as impressive. If I had tried it like that the first time, I would have probably returned it.

So do you see my dilemma? I love the oil control, I NEED the oil control, but the cons of this primer are quite a lot. I might try smashboxes pore minimizing primer next. So I put I will buy it again but only if smashbox is a fail.

Oh and although it is pricey, it lasts sooooooo long probably like three years if it's safe to use it that long. since you only use a tiny bit and rub it between your fingers you end up using not very much so at the end of the day I realized u really do get a bang for your buck.

UPDATE: Tried Paula's Choice shine stopper and it's heaven sent, I've left Becca's mattifying primer and I'm never looking back!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I've had a deluxe sample of this primer sitting unused in my makeup bag for months. I used it recently on a last minute trip and was pleasantly surprised. This is a great primer for the t-zone if you have combo skin like I do or for all over if you have very oily skin. It definitely keeps my t-zone matte and my foundation or BB looking fresh. I also like it under the eyes after moisturizing to prevent my concealer from creasing. Less is definitely more since this can leave a powdery finish and it takes a little more work to blend evenly than most silicone primers. It also feels slightly tacky and tight until it dries down completely which may not appeal to some but becomes unnoticeable after foundation is applied. Not sure that I will use this in the cooler months when my skin gets drier but this is a great t-zone option for me in warmer weather.

Popular Primer/ Correctors