Becca Mattifying Primer

2.9

Aqua (Water), Hydrogenated Didecene, Glycerin, PVP, Ricinus Communis Oil (Ricinus Communis [Castor] Seed Oil), Sorbitan Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis [Jojoba] Seed Oil), Boron Nitride, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Propylene Glycol Isostearate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Squalane, Glyceryl Isostearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Oleth-25, Ceteth-25, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Tropolone And May Contain [+/-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77491).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff freaks me out. When I rubbed it in it felt dry and sticky, I don't know how to explain it. The more I rubbed it in, the gross-er it got because it started to dry and pill up on my skin. Once I was able to get my foundation on, I didn't notice any mattifying or oil controlling properties. This was a waste of money and time.

on 1/14/2015 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This really did nothing for my oilyness and make my skin look weird and cakey and dry, will not be repurchasing.

on 11/9/2014 12:30:00 PM

If you want to look like a cupcake then get it.

I did exactly what all the reviewers and MUA told me to do, to put it on my hand first and let it sit there. Did that and then put it on my face and about an hr later my makeup looked like it was cracking everywhere.

on 10/14/2014 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Horrible! This is the worst primer I ever tried. Even worse than Maybelline's pore eraser. I'm unsure if this contains alcohol but definitely felt like it burns my skin. I'm done with this for sure

on 10/10/2014 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

THIS IS PROBABLY THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER TRIED!
And i've tried my fain share of primers!!

First of all this primer is advertised as being for oily skin, however it should be noted on the bottle that if you are not one of the very few people of which cannot even apply make up on your face because you are so slick with oil, then you should steer clear of this mess! Secondly, the texture is weird, being thick and moist half way between a gel and a mouse, but don't let that wetness fool you because as soon as you rub it into your skin it starts to loose its slip. The formula is too quick-dry making it annoying to apply because it eventually becomes similar to the task of rubbing propolis honey on your face minus the sweet smell! Thirdly it dries the crap out of your skin. Yes it prevents oil from breaking up your makeup. Yes it prevents you from shining and having to blot but it does so at the expense of the moisture in your skin. It dries white on the skin absorbing surface oil and having you look like a ghost in no time. But its all fine and dandy until the next day when your dry (and potentially flakey given the reviews of the other oily skinned MUAs I have worked with!). And this may seem great but let me tell you that its hell! my makeup never sits properly the next day and no matter what I do to try and correct my transgressions I do so in vain because my skin refuses to cooperate and remains dry and creasy for the rest of that next day.

I always always regret re-trying this product after my first attempt but no amount of oil, or serum can prepare my skin for that mess. This primer was very obviously made for the oiliest of the oily skinned dames out there, and should not be tried by anyone who feels they do not fit into that category or that id not interested in the potentially emotionally scaring experience.

on 9/17/2014 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I have a love-hate relationship with this product honestly. Part of me never wants to leave this primer and the other part of me wants to throw it out of the window, seriously.

I have extremely oily skin, I mean, I am an oil slick within less than an hour kind of oily. Huge pores but overall clear skin. And not to mention, I live in hot, humid Florida.

When I try out a product, I like to try it in different ways and in conjunction with different products. So the first day I wore it after I put on a thin layer of MoM, then Sephora's mattifant moisturizer. Then I followed the directions of the reviewers below: took a tiny bit, rubbed between two clean fingers, and applied lightly and to small sections. At first I put too much and like many have said, my makeup looked scaly and patchy. I was horrified! But I was also very determined, so I tried again. I tried to avoid sections I already applied to and smooth it out a little more and the result are a lot better but depending on the foundation (most foundations) will cling to the areas with the primer and they look cakey and weird. I tried it with Ulta's matte primer (which doesnt keep me matte but does smooth things out) and it looks fabulous! but when you think of all the time, energy, and extra money into buying another primer on top of it (when it's already expensive) that's needed to make this primer look good I wonder if it's worth it. Also it does absolutely nothing for my pores which it claims to be poreless so that's a bummer. BUT I've never had anything make such a difference in making my makeup last so long on my oily greasball face.

Now, I also tried it without the MoM and the results were not as impressive. If I had tried it like that the first time, I would have probably returned it.

So do you see my dilemma? I love the oil control, I NEED the oil control, but the cons of this primer are quite a lot. I might try smashboxes pore minimizing primer next. So I put I will buy it again but only if smashbox is a fail.

on 9/16/2014 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I've had a deluxe sample of this primer sitting unused in my makeup bag for months. I used it recently on a last minute trip and was pleasantly surprised. This is a great primer for the t-zone if you have combo skin like I do or for all over if you have very oily skin. It definitely keeps my t-zone matte and my foundation or BB looking fresh. I also like it under the eyes after moisturizing to prevent my concealer from creasing. Less is definitely more since this can leave a powdery finish and it takes a little more work to blend evenly than most silicone primers. It also feels slightly tacky and tight until it dries down completely which may not appeal to some but becomes unnoticeable after foundation is applied. Not sure that I will use this in the cooler months when my skin gets drier but this is a great t-zone option for me in warmer weather.

on 7/26/2014 1:40:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I only had a small sample (i.e. I can not review price or package) of this and I just used it, because I figured on the hottest day of the year it's a good day to wear a primer.

Let me just say that if you have even remotely dry skin, this is NOT the primer for you. It definitely mattifies your skin, but it sucked out all the moisture in my combo skin and crusted almost immediately around the corners of my mouth, etc. My face feels almost as tight as it does with a clay masque on. I don't think makeup will apply evenly over this because of how much moisture it sucked away.

On top of that, it is exceedingly heavy in texture, difficult to spread evenly and thinly, and I imagine if you're acne prone it would clog you immediately.

If you have very oily skin, this may be a good product for you, but if you have combo, dry, or sensitive skin, I would advise to stay away from it.

on 7/24/2014 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure

AMAZING! I have nothing but good things to say about this product. First off I have really oily skin and other primers I have tried just didn't work. (Mary Kay, too faced etc). I came across this product while browsing through sephoras primers online. I do not recommend this primer for DRY skin. It makes your face tight for a little bit and it actually sucks the oil off your face. It does feel a bit drying but it leaves you matte for a long time. My skin was matte all day-- except my forhead but that's another story. If you have oily skin get this! It is beyond amazing!! :)

on 7/13/2014 3:27:00 AM

If you have very OILY skin all over than you will probably love this. However, not everyone who likes a matte finish has extremely oily skin, like myself. I have combination skin and this stuff is way too drying for me to use all over. I only apply this to my t-zone and I use very little. It does a good job at diffusing pore size but it has a tendency to adhere to imperfections and emphasizes them.

Do not "rub" this primer to apply it. It's very thick and you have to use a patting motion for it to look it's best. It leaves a white cast if you use too much or if you have a tan/deep skin tone.

The packaging is worth mentioning as well. It's a squeeze tube made of a very thin plastic. Since the product itself is so thick you have to squeeze harder than you would normally. Because of this the tube creases badly which looks bad but also becomes a problem when you're on your last bit of product and can't get it out.

Popular Primer/ Correctors