December 20, 2014 | 1360 users online

Eyeliner - Everyday Minerals - Smokey Eyeliner

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 3:52:00 AM More reviews by bomkin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG eyeliner. It's simply AMAZING. As of now, I only have two makeup products that I consider to be my HG so this is pretty valuable to me.

Background:
I'm an extremely picky person when it comes to makeup, especially eye makeup. I have oily lids and somehow, every single eyeliner I have tried in my life have run on me. Everyone that I know around me who uses makeup have expressed their confusion as to how eyeliners just seem to melt on me all the time, even with all different kinds of setting powders and primers. It might be the shape of eyelids I have, which are overlapped (but not mono-lidded) along with how oily I can get. My eyes are also quite teary. I've tried pencil liners, cream, pen, gel, liquid, and other drugstore and indie mineral liners. Even Urban Decay's 24/7 eye pencils and MAC's Fluidlines, which I've used for a long time always ran on me in a matter of several hours - which I considered to be a very generous length of time - and I could always be seen rubbing away underneath my eyes. It was a very frustrating experience over the years because it also rubbed away any makeup I had on around my eyes to cover my dark circles that was hard enough to cover in the first place.

Color:
It is exactly as its name suggests; Smokey. It's a nice color that I find perfect for everyday-wear. I used to use black all the time until I realized how harsh it looked on me during the day (especially with the running). Now I reserve black for the evenings. Then I gravitated toward using dark browns for several years now. I admit, I didn't have much hope for Smokey when I ordered it based upon reviews because it wasn't the dark brown color I was looking for. But as it turns out, after using this for close to 6 months now, this is a LOVELY color that I didn't know I wanted. It isn't as harsh as a pure black but it's still enough to strike an impression. I also love that it doesn't have any shimmer or sparkle, which a lot of mineral makeup companies seem to add to their eyeliners for some reason, which I'm not too particularly fond of.

Quality:
This actually does NOT run on me. If it runs because I'm squeezing my eyes shut tightly often because of wind or something else, it's barely noticeable and I can wipe it away easily. I tight-line with it as always and wing it slightly at the ends. The tight-lined part blends in with my lashes so well that it makes them look naturally full and gives a nice definition. I am immensely pleased with its staying power as it lasts on me until I take it off or have a hardcore crying session.

Application:
I use EcoTool's angled eyeliner brush with this, which I also love. I pour a couple of drops of saline solution for contact lenses, which helps it last longer on me, (or plain water if I haven't got the time) and dip the brush in the powder and paint a little area on my palm with it until I get the consistency that I want. Then I lift my eyelids and line between my lashes. Since the brush tip is thick, I just squeeze it really quick with the tip of my fingers and I'm able to wing the eyeliner nice and sharp. Oh! I also use the same brush (dry) to fill in my eyebrows. It's a taaaad bit dark for my eyebrows but it's better than anything else I've tried so far since it creates a soft, defined look that doesn't look reddish/out there like many brow powders give me, the too-defined look pencils give, or the spotty look that waxes give me since my eyebrows are VERY sparse. I just brush it out with a eyebrow brush and it looks great. Very versatile.

That said, it sounded like a lot of work at first, but once I got the hang of it, it's fast and easy. It's about as much of a hassle as putting on potted gel/cream liners, which I was already used to.

EDM, please stick with this one!

Edit 11/23/14: I no longer use this because the shipping is just too prohibitive now, and I don't really support the company anymore. Plus, the ingredients in this make it so that I have to throw it out in 2 years or so. That's not bad at all, but it's not worth it to me anymore to order just this when I don't order anything else from EDM. I tried looking for a replacement for the color through other indie companies the past year, because I still think the color is beautiful, but I still haven't found any that fits the bill. I'm trying Physicians Formula serum + eye booster eyeliner in deep brown next (why is the name of this so long and complicated? lmao).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2010 10:39:00 PM More reviews by georgiasweety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Very pleased with this eye liner, this is my first powder mineral loose eye liner. It has great staying power applied dry with a brush, or wet. The color is a matte soft black, very "kohl" or "smokey" as the name says. A great alternative to black, and not as harsh. My smokey eyeliner did not appear to be forest green as another reviewer posted, but its very possible with mineral makeup for batches to look different. .09 oz/2.5 grams of eye liner for $6.50, you need the tiniest amount to do both eyes this will truly last forever. I have not used this yet as eye shadow, but I imagine you can use it all over and it will have great staying power. My only complaint is the inside packaging- there is a built in sifter which is good, but a lot of product stays above the sifter. I guess loose powders are so messy, there is always need for improvement, but I have no suggestions to give. I was worried about smudging or transferring during the day, but this absolutely stayed put and did not smudge in the heat or anything. True to its name, affordable, easy to apply, long wearing, worth the purchase. Cant wait to try the other colors!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2010 2:22:00 AM More reviews by KingTaco

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this thinking it would be a blackish grey, or a greyish black, but it's actually forest green. I like forest green, but it's not at all what I expected.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2010 6:04:00 PM More reviews by CharlotteAmalie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is superb stuff. I use it wet. It goes on smoothly, stays on, doesn't chip or flake. At first I had trouble with little bits of it falling down onto my cheeks, ruining my foundation. And the eyeliner powder doesn't wipe off easily. Then I discovered that my brush was at fault. Now I use a used-up Cover Girl Line Exact applicator (a bit like a felt tip pen). Moistened with a tiny bit of water, it absorbs just enough pigment, and makes an incredibly smooth line going on. I like the Line Exact, too, but this is w-a-a-y cheaper, and looks like it's going to last forever. It's a nice smokey charcoal color, soft and pretty--much less harsh than either black or brown.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2009 6:08:00 PM More reviews by AnythingVanilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

my new HG eyeliner! Natural, you can smudge without transfer, nice soft color and does not run! This stuff lasts all day! LOVE IT! THE BEST EYELINER OUT THERE!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2009 10:47:00 PM More reviews by Tsukichan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This liner is a matte, soft charcoal color, and imo works so much better than black as a liner for a couple reasons:
1. It's not as harsh looking (ie. you won't be confused with your emo little sister.)
2. It can be used dry to create a soft look, or wet to create more drama.

I use a lipliner brush to get a really fine line, and also use this to stipple in my eyebrows which are dark brown. I really think you have more flexibility with a powder liner, but if lining with a brush isn't your thing, it might not be the best choice for some. There is the risk of having fall out under the eye if applying dry. Staying power is almost too good...even after a meticulous face washing I still usually have some left between my lashes. It can definitely be considered waterproof.

I have tried to use this to create a dramatic smokey eye look, but it just doesn't blend well enough if you are using it on the lid. But considering it IS labeled as a liner, I can't take a lippie off for that because it does a great job at lining. Also, the price is unbeatable ($2.50 for a "sample" size that in reality will probably last you the rest of your life.)

If you are looking for a substitute for the classic black liner, don't pass this one up!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2009 9:15:00 PM More reviews by ET3638

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

At first I thought this would be a grey colour, but it turns out that it is a very soft black. When I apply it, it goes on nicely and smoothly and doesn't "skip" like a normal pencil eyeliner would. It is very easy to smudge and spread for a nice smokey effect which is not too "harsh". A great product that will last you literally, 10 years if you use it everyday. I tapped the container once, and am still using the stuff that's on the underside of the lid for over a week now, and will probably be using that for at least another 3 weeks. Definately a repurchase!
EDIT: I also use this as my brow colour because it is such a nice soft black that it matches my eyebrows sooooo perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2009 5:45:00 PM More reviews by redcurrant

I bought this because I've always wanted to smokey eyes but have never been good at it. Though I can't say I've mastered it yet, this eye liner is perfect for a natural look. It is a soft black that smudges easily. I just apply it with a liner brush right at my lashes. I bought the large size container, which has three holes. I recommend that you only open one to avoid a powdery mess as with most loose powders. Great eye liner though. It will probably last me a long time too.