August 21, 2014 | 1915 users online

Lipstick - E.L.F. - Barely Brown - Mineral Lipstick

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2012 6:36:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Probably one of e.l.f's more impressive products, their Mineral Lipsticks are surprisingly creamy and glide on application especially compared to their Essentials Lipsticks, which are dry and drag over the lips. The pigmentation appears standard for a drugstore lipstick, maybe two coats will bring out its true color.

The packaging is elegantly minimalist for a drugstore lipstick as well. Though it looks great, the quality of their lipstick packaging seems to vary, as I have another one of these lipsticks in Cool Coral that has a sturdier lipstick case than my Bare Brown lipstick, of which the bullet casing is audibly loose if shaken. The closing mechanism also feels too loose. I worry about taking the Bare Brown lipstick with me as I am afraid of the packaging will fall apart in my bag.

As for the color Bare Brown, I enjoy that it is a neutral everyday shade that works out great for medium skin tones. For those who have hyper-pigmented lips, Bare Brown can neutralize the pigmentation and soften the look of your lips. However, for those whose lips don't have much pigmentation to begin with, Bare Brown may be so neutral brown that it makes your lips look lifeless. I compared it to Maybelline's Color Sensational Lipstick in Totally Toffee, which is a slightly drier, less creamier formula than e.l.f.'s Mineral Lipsticks. The two colors are very similar, except that I find that I like Maybelline's Totally Toffee over e.l.f's Bare Brown due to the Totally Toffee having a hint of warmth in it; it appears much more natural and less made-up.

But to reiterate, I do recommend this shade of e.l.f.'s Mineral Lipsticks for lips that are highly pigmented and need to be more neutralized. Because the formula is also creamy and long-wearing, I also highly recommend this lipstick for those with dry lips such as myself.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2009 9:15:00 AM More reviews by eiffadea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

barely brown looks straight dirty brown on the tube for me..but swatched on my hand it looks peachier..on my lips, its dark brown..(im NC42 in MAC)..this color alone is too dark on me as i most enjoy nude lips..so as i was browsing through elf website during their 75% off mineral l/s line, i thought barely brown is a nice nude brown color that is not too dark..so 1 lippie off because of the inaccurate website swatches..but the lipstick's formula is amazing..so creamy and moisturizing as well as opaque..but i have to warn you not all elf mineral lipsticks is as opaque as some others..as far as the formula goes,i prefer this over my expensive MAC lipstick which has great color but is drying on my lips sometime or NYX round lipsticks which is very opaque but too creamy and doesnt stay as long as i would like it too..i like barely brown when paired with natural nymph..only then i'll get my favourite nude brown..definitely will repurchase..=)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2009 1:07:00 PM More reviews by loverofmineralmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I ordered a couple of neutral color mineral lipsticks from ELF's website to try them out and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of these lipsticks. This lipstick's swatch on the website was deceptive for it is a much lighter brownish nude color than I thought it would be. This lipstick has a soft texture, blends well and is very moisturizing but the color is not long lasting so you are going to have to reapply often.

Barely Brown is a light nude color lipstick with a yellow undertone (if that makes sense) and as a woman of color this lipstick worn alone washes me out, however, paired with a peach, pink or champagne color lip gloss makes this lipstick wearable. To be honest, this is not my favorite brown-based nude lipstick and I doubt I will reach for often which is why I keep it in my purse for only occasional use.