September 22, 2014 | 2004 users online

Deodorants - Lafe's Roll on Deodorant Unscented

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 6:22:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

When deodorant doesn't work, it's really embarrassing especially when you out, your hot and your meeting people and you can't do anything about it. I've tried a couple of natural ones and they just don't work. Like this one. I don't sweat a lot on a regular basis but I've been stressed out lately and have been in less than favorable situations that's causing me to sweat more, I guess it's how I react. But when stuff like that happens, you want to be able be protected, and this fails big time. I mean it's not that bad, but because it doesn't work that well, it makes you self conscious. And I hate that. In the trash it goes, and to be honest, I'm gonna trade chemicals for self confidence because damn, it's just worth it!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by StarlitReprise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the LAFE'S NATURAL AND ORGANIC HEMP OIL DEODORANT IN TEA TREE. In my search to find an aluminum-free deodorant I went to a little pharmacy I never bother with otherwise. This was on sale for half the price, so I only paid $4 CAN ( so the normal price was $8 which I wouldn't have bothered trying at that price ). In retrospect I now see why they were trying to get rid of the stock they had left... I got it in the Tea Tree scent and when I tested the scent at the store it was really mild and I thought I'd give it a go, unfortunately when I got home and used it the smell amped up a lot and I really think it smells awful. It reminds me of the outhouse at camp. I think the smell I mean is deet? We used it to clean with. It could possibly be the hemp oil that is in this product, which is supposed to make your skin soft. However, I did try it out, but it left behind the awful smell ( which my mother said wasn't noticeable on me but when I had her smell the product she said yeah, it smelled like urine! ) It bugged me being able to smell it on myself and I'm sure someone would notice if they got too close...

I liked that some of the proceeds ( although only a measly one percent ) went to cancer research, but that's probably the only thing I can think of to say in it's defense.

Ingredients: water, potassium alum, mineral salts, celquat, tea tree, aloe vera, calendula extract, hemp seed oil, grapefruit seed extract.

I also looked up celquat after purchasing, because I had no idea what it was. "Celquat is cotton cellulose, which is a natural cotton plant extract. Within cosmetics and toiletries it is used as a thickening agent."

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2010 8:27:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Tried this in the search for a decent aluminium-free deodorant. One of the Lafe's offerings that do actually work (on me, anyway)--their stick is poor (different formula, no potassium alum), but this roll-on, the solid crystal stone, and the spray are all good. The roll-on works out as the most expensive of the three, and I happened to find it less user-friendly than the spray. All three formats are available in unscented, the spray is also in lavender, and the roll-on in several scents.

Better options:

I'm not a particularly pungent person, but so far I've found the only thing that works nearly as well as aluminium-based regular deodorants is ones based on potassium alum (a.k.a. mineral salts - and NB entirely different from aluminium chloride etc.). Hence liking these Lafe's deodorants. The ingredient list is otherwise nice and simple and minimal and functional. Thumbs up for that.

Tip: ensure armpits are clean and dry (tends to work best on shaved pits); first apply some zinc oxide cream (diaper rash cream, that sort of thing), then the deodorant. Pat it into the skin and allow to dry. I'll often add a top later of powder (Burt's Bees baby dusting powder: talc-free, contains corn starch, kaolin clay, and bicarbonate of soda as the deodorizing active ingredients). No smell at end of the day.

Cruelty-free company, made in the US and regularly available there and in Canada, both in greener shops and in mainstream drugstores (London Drugs here). Decent prices, in line with regular deodorants.

INGREDIENTS: Purified water (aqua), potassium alum (mineral salts),
polyquaternium-10, certified organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) extract,
certified organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) oil, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2010 1:14:00 PM More reviews by reikigoddess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is for the Tea Tree version of the roll-on. It's 71% organic, made in the USA & it was $5.99 (sale price I think). There's no detectable scent. I later saw one for mothers in a spray w/very basic ingredients (3 I believe-basically mineral salts) that I will probably try next. Anyway, I'm really liking this so far & I typically have problems w/natural deod. working for me. I like that this has tea tree oil & mineral salts, which I think are very effective. This also has hemp oil. As w/all natural deod. I reapply at least once each day & in hot weather I'm sure I'd have to do so much more often. This is quite a bit cheaper than the Dr. H. that was recommended to me & much easier to find than Miessence which I've heard is really good. So far I'm really pleased w/this & it's better for me than the Kiss My Face Liquid Rock roll-on.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2009 3:10:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Wow, this so did not work for me. I bought this product due to high reviews on natural websites. To be fair, there were not many reviews for the unscented version, but there were lots of positive reviews for the "active" scent. I used for a few weeks before I started noticing a sour scent in the afternoons. Now, I have a very poor sense of smell, so if I can smell something, it has to be pretty strong. Yep, it was my pits. I tried for several more days, convinced that maybe I didn't fully cover my pits or didn't use enough, but, no, this deodorant just doesn't work for me. I applied on dry skin after showering and shook the bottle before applying to make sure all ingredients were evenly distributed in the solution. To be fair, we were in the midst of a heat wave during this time (110 heat index), but still... it just didn't work.
ETA: My mom visited and said I smelled fine. I don't know what about this stuff triggered my sense of smell, but I could not stand it. Obviously, though, this was a personal oddity, not common for others who use this product.