October 22, 2014 | 2073 users online

Bad Bad Bad for my acne prone skin
Breakouts and clogged pores after only 2 uses

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by orchard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation. I have tried so many foundations. I find that liquid foundations sink into my pores really badly and go super shiny so I opt for powder foundations. I have really oily skin so I like to get a matte powder. I have tried the following foundations: laura mercier (bad and crazy expensive)/mac studio fix powder / lancome matt / givenchy matte / estee lauder double wear powder / marks and spencer mineral powder (very bad!!) The lancome, givenchy and estee lauder powders were all lovely powder foundations but the lightest shade in each were just too dark for me. Mac studio fix nc15 powder was ok but the nc15 shade was not right on me either. I also tried the ready powder from bare minerals - they have lighter shades available which is good but the powder itself for me was really bad, it cracked and dried on my face and was really drying and patchy even though I have oily skin! I have tried lily lolo mineral powder too, I got the warm peach shade which is a great shade on me but I think the bare minerals matte is better for coverage, quality and it stays on longer.
I first started off with the BM matte powder in c10 fair shade which I loved everything about except the color which was just too dark on me. I was about to give up when the SA suggested I try the w10 shade golden fair. Turns out it was much better than the fair color on me and I have more of a yellow undertone. The w10 is still slightly too dark for my pale skin but Im willing to put up with this as i like everything else about the product and its still a good color on me. I use BM over paulas choice spf 30 wrinkle defense and its perfect. I use a little bit of the BM veil spf 25 finishing powder over that. I used to use a garnier primer but the whole thing looks better without a primer for me.So spf 30 moisturiser, foundation and veil and I'm good to go! I have spent a fortune on moisturisers and makeup and have finally found the combo I love!

ps. Im docking one mark as the lightest yellow based shade (w10) is a tad too dark for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2014 5:02:00 PM More reviews by missmelodya

pardon my language but...

HELL TO THE NO.

i asked the sales lady if this powder foundation would be suited to my combination, sensitive skin. she sung the praises of it, claiming authoritatively that, among other things, this would be the "perfect solution for the look of a liquid foundation without the mess and breakouts." thank god for samples, because oh how wrong she was...

my skin is not oily. this powder exaggerated every single pore and line on my face. the area under my eyes in particular looked like jagged granite. for real this stuff made me look 80 years old AND orange (i used the *lightest* shade.) this coming from a 34 year old that still gets IDed to get in to nightclubs. this dried out my skin horribly despite using moisturiser, created cystic acne in a matter of *hours*, and oxidised just as quickly. it transferred on to everything it came in contact with.

in short, i would only think this product might be suited to people with very oily skin and an already completely flawless facial surface. absolutely wouldn't suggest using it under or around your eyes at all regardless of age or skin type, unless of course you want to accelerate the ageing process in your eye area by virtue of cosmetic dehydration.

the only positives i can give this powder foundation: decent coverage, a truly matte finish, affordable, easy to find both online and in stores.

i really don't like writing negative reviews about products. saying that, if this review spares even just one person over the age of 30 from seeing what they'd look like as the crypt keeper with this stuff on their face then i'll have done my part by posting it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by antiguru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this is a Try Me Kit, all from Bare Escentuals. My first ever experience with this brand, back in the spring, I believe. I have oily skin, especially in summer. I'm getting older. I accept this. But when I looked in my car mirror upon leaving my house after applying this, I found an old lady staring back at me. What.the.heck? As an all over foundation, this did not work for me. It made every fine line I have look like the Grand Canyon and made the rest of my face look like a Stephen King movie special effect. Not cool. Being the stubborn type, I insisted on finding a way to use this. I put a teeny tiny bit on my daughter for a school dance. She's 12 with perfect skin. When I was done, she looked like a 33 year old hooker. I apologize to any 33 year old hookers reading this but it's the truth. But that still didn't stop me from trying to find a use for it. I finally found that since I moisturize and prime my undereye area very well, I could use this very sparingly as an undereye setting powder. I mean very sparingly, like just fake the jar out by sending your makeup brush a centimeter over it. I'd then spray with a makeup setting spray like my life depended on it. Which I do every single day, anyway. The only thing that changes is the brand of the spray I use, based on the occasion. Because I like pain and apparently hate myself, I'm working on using up the regular formula in exactly the same manner, which I got in the same kit, right now.

Bottom line, ask for a sample at the counter to make sure you don't spend way too much money to end up looking like something Stephen King would write about. M'kay?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2014 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Demorte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know, been using for years, but I feel like it's a lot more sheer and sparkly then it use to me. Might just be me? Never the less, I always go back to this. Been using for years.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Econobabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh my god, I LOVE this product. I have very fair (and very oily) skin and this is a dream come true for me. When topped off with mineral veil, at the end of the day I am not looking like an oil-slick, only just "dewy" (which is something I can live with). I wish it was cheaper, but it does last about a month for me, and I keep repurchasing because it is a Holy Grail item for me. I'm so thankful this foundation actually works.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2014 6:02:00 PM More reviews by sisaceva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS STUFF. Seriously amazing. I have very pigmented, red skin and it is also very oily so by the end of the day, all my makeup would wear off. However, this stuff is very pigmented and it lasts a really long time. It never broke me out and it looks very natural. It can be a little pricey but it is definitely worth it 100% The packaging could be better as sometimes too much comes out and it gets messy, but other than that it is a great foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by msbluestone13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use this as a setting powder now. It doesn't work as a foundation alone because it transfers off your face..and it comes off so easily. Now I just use it as a setting powder. I read some reviews about breakouts--now I'm trying to remember if its broken me out. I ll have to try and use some as foundation for a few days to see if it does. I sure hope not bcuz my face is actually a bit clear. Other then that.. I don't know what the hype is? I would rather just buy meow minerals instead...which I probably will do next time...B.E. needs to make their foundation non-transfer..

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Angelseleena

I really really wanted to like this. I bought this because minerals are better for the face. The SA told me that this is quite full coverage, which had me sold. However this cakes up on me no matter how lightly I apply it BUT if I apply it too lightly it doesn't show up at all and doesn't cover a thing. No matter what I do I cannot get this foundation to work for me which sucks because I really wanted to like it. It leaves the face matte, that's a good thing however it doesn't give me the adequate coverage I seek and it makes my nose, chin and forehead look super cakey and overall my face looks flat and dull. I wouldn't repurchase this. I am so disappointed :(

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2014 8:45:00 AM More reviews by cfoster95

I was so excited about trying BM because of all the good things I have heard about it however, I am REALLY disappointed with this product. I have acne-prone sensitive skin and because of the ingredients in BM I thought it might have been perfect for me!

I went to boots and told them I have always had acne-prone skin and the woman told me to try the Matte Foundation due to a particular acne-fighting ingredient it has (i forgot what this was called.) She did my makeup for me and I thought the coverage was good, I like the finish it gives and overall it was pretty good! I let it sit for the day and it still was looking OKAY by the end of the day so I thought if it would help my acne and give me good coverage, it's worth the buy!

I bought it and watched the DVD at home of how to apply it and was SUPER excited.. Buffing the product in takes a while as I like near full coverage but it works in the end! I just have to put atleast 15 minutes aside to put on JUST my face makeup which means I can't exactly rush in the morning! But the coverage is defo fine for me.

After about a week of trying it I started to break out.. Bad. At first, I thought "oh maybe my skin is just getting used to the product" 3 months later and my break outs are still as bad. :( I take off the product properly with the products I have always used and have had no problems before until I used BM. I also wash my brushed every 4 days so it can't be the dirt from the brushes, it must be the product :(!

Another thing, is that after about a month after using BM, I found that when I started to apply it my skin dried out SO quickly.. I'm not too sure why as my skin never did this at first. Before, I always moisturise etc but it seems that it just DRIES my face out now..

I'm still on the search for a good foundation, but it's a shame that BM wasn't the one for me from all the good reviews I have read. For £50 for the starter kit, this was NOT WORTH THE PRICE! For coverage and for my breaking out - I could have easily gotten the same quality from a cheaper brand.

I'm not sure what it was about BM but I have a feeling it's either the ingredients or the brushes! It's quite a shame that BM wasn't the foundation for me!