Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have tried and tried to use this foundation. The coverage is great. Unfortunately, it stays powdery on my face and settles in dry patches and pores.

I don't know if they changed their formula or what but I really do not like this product and it makes me very sad. I used to swear by bare minerals it was always my go-to a few years back, but I parted ways with it for a while to explore other make-up realms, and when I came back to this product over the summer, something was just not right. Before the formula used to go onto my skin and look absolutely flawless. Now... it was far from that. It went on incredibly patchy and didn't cover a majority of my skin. What I mean by that is it just did not go on parts of my skin, I have no idea why. I used to apply a moisturizer then buff the product into my skin using a more dense brush than the one provided ( i believe I used a Real Techniques), I really tried everything with this new formula to love it and figure out different ways to apply it, but really nothing worked. I am very upset and would love for their old formula to come back as it was one of my absolute favorites. :( very upset/frusterated

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I actually like this a lot! Now, I am a known foundation addict, always on the quest to find that "perfect" foundation. This is not a holy grail product for me, but still, I like it...a ton!

Okay, background info on me: I am a former mineral makeup shunner. I totally hated bareMinerals, and had never even tried it. I think for me as a makeup artist, I felt there was a stigma attached to it, for reasons completely unknown. I would cringe inside when I saw it. Weird, right? My friend scored a job with them, and I still wouldn't try it. Finally, I ended up working a couple of events with bareMinerals, and was forced to learn about the brand, products, applications, etc. I was actually BLOWN AWAY when I would apply the powder to most clients' skin! It looked gorgeous, really flawless and natural. I decided at last this would be worth a try.

So I dove right in, applied the regular foundation, and broke out. Badly. I was so disappointed! Turns out I have a sensitivity to the bismuth oxychloride, an ingredient in the original formula. But I then discovered..the matte formula. No breakouts, no bismuth...but sadly, no real "glow" either. I just feel like the original absolutely melts into the skin and buffs out like a dream. The matte formula is different. I didn't feel like I was getting the right coverage, etc. Still, I continued on...

Here is the secret- brushes matter. Big time. After about 2 weeks of tweaking my application, swirl, tap, buff, using light layers with the Flawless Face brush, building up slowly. I don't look "flawless" by any means. This is light to semi-medium coverage at best, so if you are looking for the same kind of coverage as a liquid, you won't find it here...mainly because this is not a liquid. Although they claim it's creamy, it really doesn't strike me that way.

However, what it DOES do for my skin is simply wonderful. I wear this on my days off, and I love it! My skin has stopped breaking out, it covers up redness and all that, leaves a really nice satin matte finish, and has overall improved the look and feel of my skin immensely. I do set with mineral veil, and use their primer sometimes too. My combo skin gets shiny about 3 hours in, but I just blot, or buff with at clean brush, and it looks great again. I am to the point where I dread using a liquid foundation when I go to work. I am now seeing the hype around these products. I love the simple ingredients, and the locking sifter is really a great idea, so that I don't spill too much powder around.They actually teach you that skin doesn't have to be covered up by a mask of product to look beautiful. Side note: my hubby actually compliments me when I wear this. He says "See, you don't need all that makeup to look beautiful!" Yeah, if only he knew..heh heh...

PS: Don't forget to get a GOOD color match. I was matched by a rep and she was waaay off. I ended up returning, and buying two foundations, mixing the Golden Fair and Light together. Perfect! Also, not really too economical, but I am willing to pay, because I use such a tiny amount of the stuff, it lasts a good long while.

I like this powder because it's not too heavy! I first had the original but it was way too oily and made my pores look huge (like I wasn't even wearing any makeup) so I took it back for the matte version. I'm now so happy with my purchase! There are so many color options to choose from. Looks natural, no matter how much you put on!

I've been using this for about a year and have to say that this foundation is definitely buildable and doesn't break me out. At first I packed on the powder and it looked so patchy. The "swirl, tap, buff" method is key. I'm always able to get full coverage when I buff the powder in and in thin layers. I also receive many compliments whenever I wear it. It's the perfect foundation for the price point, coverage, and ingredients.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the only foundation I can use that makes my skin look good. I have rosacea, with very sensitive skin and I am really intolerant to all liquid foundations which is a shame as I love a lot of them being a product junkie. I have tried a lot of other mineral foundations (Becca, Jane Iredale, Laura Mercier and a few lower budget brands like Loreal, Gosh and Lily Lolo).
It doesn't accentuate my large pores or fine wrinkles and as long as I buff it in evenly, it gives a good, smooth even finish. I have combination skin with an oily t zone and this looks good all over my face. I prefer this finish to the more luminous finishes like the original version because of my imperfections. I find it lasts a good length of time even if I go to the gym after work with this on and I do still have some coverage. I do use the bare minerals concealer in summer bisque before applying this to my red areas (around my nose, chin) so I don't know if that adds to the overall effect. I use a few different colours, medium beige after my holidays, or fairly light or fairly medium on my neutral skin tone.
I didn't like this the first time I used it but I suppose my skin has changed over the years and it now suits me very well. I do make sure I very gently exfoliate with a soft washcloth a couple of times a week and moisturise regularly to ensure an even finish.

This is probably one of the best foundations I have used for day time wear. It goes on really nicely and is really light. The coverage is buildable and you can use a pad to patt in in for more coverage (whoch can be good for people with larger pores). I like this as it isnt cakey at all and looks really natural on my skin. I used golden fair which was a perfect match and atm I am using fairly light as my friend gave me hers and it is still a good shade. Its a decent price at £25 but lasts me about 6months ish. maybe 7 at a push.

Honestly the best foundation I have ever used. ALL liquid foundations go cakey on my face, no matter how expensive - this is something to do with my skin type. This is the only foundation I have ever tried that doesn't do that. The coverage is natural and buildable, and doesn't crease in the fine lines around my eyes. My only criticism is the matte effect doesn't last on my (very oily) nose. However, it does work better with the anti-oil primer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Not a fan and will not be repurchasing. I used the shade GOLDEN FAIR which was a decent match for my NC20 neutral leaning towards yellow skin. However, it oxidizes and turns orange after a while. My skin is normal and I don't find this to be that mattifying aside from when first applied. I get extremely shiny when wearing this which is strange as I have normal skin. The foundation gets streaky after several hours of wear. Coverage is light to medium. The more layers you apply the darker the foundation gets. I don't find this to be a natural looking foundation...it looks cakey when built up. Feels quite lightweight on.

This is honestly the worst powder foundation I've ever used considering the price. I tried to wear it alone and the coverage was horrible. I've tried to use it to set my liquid foundations and it just cakes on it's not blendable at all either. I've honestly had better luck with drug store brands.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review/Comparison: BareMinerals vs. It Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination by TheKatalicious17

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products