Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Skin Primer

3.7

Purified Water, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Magnesium, Aluminum Silicate, Chamomile Extract, Cornflower extract, Methylpararaben, Propylaparaben, Xanthan Gum, Orange Extract.

on 10/13/2014 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Let me start by saying I have normal to dry skin, but despise silicone primers. Smashbox Photo Finish (and all similar primers) cause me to break out like mad. So far the only ones I've found that I can use are L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base and Guerlain light diffusing. I bought the OCC primer to try, since it is silicone-free, and I can say I am very pleased with it. First, the packaging is a plastic bottle with a dropper-style lid, so you can squeeze out as much or as little as you need. Also, very hygienic. I find this to be lightly moisturizing, but it really works to keep my skin & makeup looking nice. It seems to smooth my skin, and lightly mattify, and it does extend the wear of my makeup. I don't typically wear a primer, usually only for special occasions, and my makeup lasts fairly well without one. If you rely consistently on something like Photo Finish, this may not be your cup of tea. I don't think it has *quite* the same longevity or smoothness. But for someone like me me, who doesn't ask a lot out of a primer, and who can't do silicones very well, this is a Godsend. I will definitely repurchase.

on 6/12/2014 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I was excited to try this product after reading rave reviews, but it disappointed me and my oily/combination skin. The product was maybe slightly moisturizing, but did nothing to enhance the appearance or texture of my skin. I felt like it did NOT help control shine and oil, and just kind of "sat" on my skin. It might have helped my makeup stay on longer, but my skin was too shiny and oily to enjoy the long-lasting effect.

on 5/21/2013 4:07:00 PM

This primer is more like an awesome tinted moisturizer, in my experience - When I put it on, it moisturizes, smoothes and mattifies my face, and it seems to have some pigment, too. I rarely feel the need to put liquid foundation on top: just a bit of OCC concealer under my eyes and some powder and I'm good to go. Bonus it's vegan and cruelty-free - if only it weren't so spendy.

on 3/28/2013 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Ended up feeling way too heavy on my skin and it made me super greasy. :(

I'm giving this another try but the two or three times I've worn it I just ended up really oily and I haaaaate that. SO IF YOU ARE OILY, maybe try the sephora silicone free primer?

Agh if you're not sensitive to silicones (breakouts, allergic reactions, etc..) and you have oily skin... definitely give something else WITH SILICONES a try in order to achieve a matte look.

on 3/18/2013 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I haven't tried this product. I am putting this "review" here simply because the last person to leave a review said that this wasn't cone free and the ingredient list on this page says it contains dimethicone BUT on the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics page This is the Ingredient list ::

OCC SKIN PRIMER INGREDIENTS:
Lemon Peel Extract,
Phenoxyethanol,
Sodium Benzoate,
Potassium Sorbate

OCC changed ingredients. They haven't updated the website to reflect a change. Apparently this has Dimethicone as the 3rd ingredient now.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

FYI to those who reviewed this as a "cone-free" primer please note: dimethicone is a "cone" and is among the first 5 ings for this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Reasons this product is awesome:

1) It makes every foundation look incredible. I haven't bought a new one in months because all of my rejects look fantastic when applied over this primer. It eliminates cakiness, transferring, fading, creasing...pretty much every problem one could have with a foundation.
2) It is a great morning moisturizer for combo/oily skin. It smoothes and gets rid of mild dryness. It also provides a great barrier against foundation (for instance, CS Whipped doesn't break me out layered over this!)
3) It's cone-free yet it WORKS. Most cone-free primers aren't effective at all, but silicone based ones clog me to death. It's so nice to find one that gives the glow and lasting power of Smashbox and Hourglass without the breakouts.
4) It's vegan and 100% cruelty free 'Nuff said. :D

All of the OCC Skin products I've tried have been fantastic, but this is a total HG. I don't think anything else has ever made this much of a difference in my makeup application. I get compliments on my skin all the time using this.

on 1/11/2013 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I HAD to write this review...

So, until today, I have been using silicone primers (think Smashbox); though I was never fully satisfied with them, I believed they were the best so I stuck with them. My morning makeup would be all shiny and slidy by the end of lunch. But hey! Silicone primers are the "best" so I stuck with them and invested in a boat-load of blotting papers...

Last night I re-discovered my airbrush kit and decided to airbrush my face this morning. I smeared some OCC Primer over my skin and then prepped my airbrush gun - only to find out my OCC Skin Foundation was finished. A little miffed, I proceeded to use my regular creme foundation. It looked AMAZING! Amazing - it just MELTED into my skin and blended beautifully! It's been 4 hours: no shine, no slickness, nothing!

Smashbox = trash!
OCC Skin Primer = my new mainstay!

on 4/4/2012 6:52:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Great primer. I'm not a fan of the silicone-y primers like Smashbox Photo Finish and this is perfect for me. A little bit goes a long way and it sinks right into my skin. It keeps my makeup on all day and I haven't had any problems with my foundation oxidizing on me since I've used this. OCC is an amazing line and I'm loving everything I've tried!

Great primer! Makes the airbrush foundation apply smoothly, and last for hours without having to touch it up.