Illamasqua Rich Liquid foundation

3.5

Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, C18-38 Alkyl Hydroxystearoyl Stearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Homosalate, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Kaolin, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Bht, Parfum (Fragrance) And May Contain: [ /- Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Carmine CI 75470, Red 36 CI 12085, Ultramarines CI 77007, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Red 7 CI 15850, Yellow 6 Lake CI 15985]. May contain Carmine as a colour additive. (10.6.09)

on 6/27/2015 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had such high hopes for this foundation when I first swatched it on my hands- it was super full coverage and seemed to last on my hand so I bought it. Plus I really liked the skin base formula!
But for some reason it just won't work on my skin! I have normal skin that sometimes gets shiny on my nose at the end of the day. And whenever I wear this foundation it just always ends up REALLY patchy! And no amount of powder can fix it!
I've tried using thia with numerous different primers and moisturizers ( water based, sillicone based, oil based etc) and just on my bare face. Didn't work. I tried applying it with different tools (beauty blender, traditional foundation brush, buffer brush etc) didn't work. I tried mixing it with other foundations, didn't work.
And in my area, you can't return cosmetics so I'm stuck with this. You shouldn't have to work so hard to get a foundation to wotk for you!
Would NEVER repurchase this! Such a shame, it had such potential! I even tried giving it away to my sister who never have problems with foundation and it is still patchy!

So, I bought this is the second lightest shade as I have extremely fair skin and find it hard to get foundations to match my skin tone but this one was literally a white paste which when applied to skin turned into a dry scaly looking mess which hardly blended at all and when mixed with another foundation the other foundation would begin to create an oily mess, as it eventually came to sit on top of the illamasqua in oily patches. Would never buy again. Drugstore foundations would be more effective.

on 6/11/2015 4:20:00 PM

This is a nice, very full coverage foundation. And when I say full coverage, I mean VERY full coverage One little dot of this foundation will cover half your face so the price isn't as bad as it will last a long time.

However, I can't use this foundation very often because it does not work well on dry skin or skin with dry patches. If you have even the slightest bit of patchiness on your face, this will make them look about 1000000x worse, no joke.

I now use this as a concealer instead and it works incredibly well for that.

This stuff has unreal coverage. I'm just going to say it now, this is the coverage I expected from double wear, I went into this thinking I could use a pee sized dot for each cheek and looked like I was wearing a thick mask the coverage was that good

With that out of the way this is a good foundation but I don't like using it on its own, I like mixing it with foundations to add more coverage (Healthy Mix Serum for example) I have this in RF210 (I am sand beige in Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup and NC20 in MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation for reference)

This stuff comes in a squeeze tube bottle which, given the £35 I spent on this at the counter seems a little cheap in my opinon, that being said it is a hygenic container I guess and decent for travel so there is that

The formula is really thick and uses kaolin which is found in a lot of clay masks (that explains both the smell of this stuff and the look if you use too much) with that out of the way I wouldn't recommend using this as your only source of coverage unless you were trying to cover some extreme discolouration or fill in scars

Personally I like mixing it with sheer foundations to add some coverage and still keep the blending quick and easy, my personal favourite at the moment is Healthy Mix Serum (I'm vanilla in that by the way) but any blendable foundation would work too

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Holy Grail, batman. I am in love. First off: I will help all of you having issues with the application. I think I have mastered it over the last few weeks.
This foundation is the fullest coverage foundation on the planet. It has a dry formula, unlike Kat Von D, so it looks like skin and not paint. The colors range everywhere from lightest fair (100) basically white, to the darkest of dark skins. I use 120, the shade is perfect. I have combo skin for reference, and have tons of acne scars and pores. This made them DISAPPEAR. I kid you not, disappear. For 53 dollars, it better...but besides the point. Here's how I apply:
First off, I use a good, but not sticky, moisturizer. I mix my sensitive skin equate cream with aloe vera, and let it dry. Then I go in with a dry primer (by dry I mean matte, however, if you have dry skin I recommend using a regular primer). I use Rimmel stay matte primer, and let it dry for about 5 minutes. Now usually I use the beauty blender for all my foundations but this one is different, thick and dry. I use my fingers! Just squeeze a bit out, allow your finger to warm it up, then begin slowly applying around the face, pushing it into any pores or scars. You won't need much, and I swear you won't need concealer either. I set this with my stay matte Rimmel powder, which keeps it matte for about 4 hours, then I touch up with blotting papers. The result will FLOOR you. Your skin will look flawless and insanely perfect, and as long as you don't use too much, it will never look cakey.
The package is very hygienic with a small tube at the end, and a bottle of this stuff should last you a year or more, and that's if you only use this foundation. So really, the price is worth it.
I will continue to rebuy this unless my skin suddenly becomes very oily, as I believe if you are insanely oily it may melt a bit or look unnatural. I still suggest trying it though, as it is incredible.

on 2/24/2015 4:22:00 AM

I'm always after a full coverage foundation that stays matte and doesn't slide off my face throughout the day and also doesn't aggrivate my acne prone skin. Although this foundation is a VERY full coverage foundation it doesn't stay matte for long and seems to slide off my face after about 5 hours wear. I use the illamasqua primer (matte) which I love and I wouldn't change but this still doesn't stop the foundation from becoming shiny (wet looking) or sliding off. This foundation would probably suit those who aren't too oily and is looking for a full coverage foundation to wear for short periods. This foundation does last but won't look like anything you put on at the beginning of the day about 8 hours later. I do wear this foundation from about 6.30am to around 5.30pm and it does last but it looks shiny, oily, wet and seems to suck up any of my other makeup such as my contour.
My routine for this foundation is the same everyday and I apply with a flat top foundation brush and buff into the skin. I found buffing this foundation in was the best way as a normal foundation brush or a beauty blender didn't even it out and it went majorly patchy. My Mac Pro long wear concealer works well this foundation and I set with a no7 translucent powder which again works well with this foundation. The finish I have is matte and looks flawless when first applied but as I've mentioned within the first hour will look wet looking and after a few hours will start sliding off.

Pros of foundation -
High/full coverage
Covers acne well without colour correction
Looks flawless when first applied
The colour selection is BRILLIANT
Works well with primers
Comes in an easy squeeze plastic tube bottle
Does not aggrivate acne prone skin

Cons -
Quite difficult to apply
Becomes oily almost instantly
Feels thick and cakey
Needs a concealer and powder to provide a complete finished look
Sticky and transferable onto almost
EVERYTHING
Will not last all day or have the same look/effect by the end of the day
Slides of oily skin types
Not a long wear foundation
Personally find it too expensive for the quality of the product

A good comparison to this foundation is Estée lauder double wear however this foundation aggravates my acne but has a better finish, stays on all day and sits better on my skin.

The quality of this foundation initially surprised me due to how minimal it looks while giving long-lasting, full coverage. I have never used a western foundation that covers this well while looking incredibly minimal (the closest I've found before this was medium). Although it was $48 it feels more like $30 for the amount you get in the bottle as you only need a small amount. Less is more with this foundation, any more and it will be like face-paint.

I've noticed reviews about how dry and hard it is to spread and I'm going to counter these. This is a second-skin foundation, not a moisturizer. It doesn't matter if your skin is smooth or not use a proper base. I have dry skin and occasionally get breakouts and I have had no problems with this foundation when using bases. If you have this foundation and it's not working with your base, using a base with Aloe Vera gel instead of a moisturizer could help.

on 10/8/2014 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This foundation is everything to me! It is full coverage but it looks natural! Not like the Mac foundations they look bad on the skin ! But u must put a full moisturizer before u apply it!

on 8/7/2014 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this for stage makeup. It's really thick and gives you perfect skin. I would not recommend using it for a date or clubbing as after a good night kiss it was on my date's face even though I continually repowder through out the night. You will look a bit shiney if you have oily skin so be prepared to repowder but overall a great foundation.

on 6/21/2014 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Color (115) was amazing, matched my very fair skin great. Consistency was interesting, almost like caulk, but blended in very well, and not much is needed.
The bad thing is that it does not stay on the skin. I have oily skin and the foundation just melts away after just a few hours. It is supposed to work on every skintype, but no, not oily skin.
Also, expensive for not staying on skin.