Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

4.1

(**This is the list for the non-organic large bar. I believe they are the same but the small bars ingredients are organic**) African Black Soap Base , African Shea Butter , Oats , Aloe , Plantain Extract , Vitamin E , Essential Oil Blend , Vegetable Glycerin , Palm Ash , Rosemary Extract , Iron Oxides

on 3/28/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I haven't used this as long as I would have liked to because it started to stain my tub. Smh. I will try it to clean my beauty blender I read from a previous poster

on 3/21/2015 7:02:00 PM

I bought this soap at target after having tried every type of acne product out there. I read the ingredients and they are all natural. I've had acne pretty much since the beginning of puberty and into adulthood. Nothing had really worked for me, so I thought I'd go the way of using products claiming to be made with organic ingredients.

Anyway, the bar is rather large so i cut smaller pieces from it. It lathers up grey and doesn't really have a scent I can relate to. Kind of earthy but not bad. One wash made my skin feel unbelievably clean. After drying, I could see my skin and pores tightening up. Because of this, I was afraid it would dry out and cause the same problems I've had with face washes before. Nope! This soap is amazing. No dryness, although I do use a moisturizer afterwards. It won't instantly make acne "disappear". After approximately 2 months of use, I'm noticing it draws dirt and acne to the skin's surface... I'm watching my skin detoxify. It's pretty crazy.

I wish this stuff was around in my early teen years, but I'm so glad I found it when I did!

Definitely recommend to anyone with adult acne, redness, oily skin, or just as a good make up remover!

I was so glad I tried this. I was interested in trying the coal face soap from LUSH but really couldn't justify 14 bucks for a hunk of soap. Luckily I found this first. The 3.99 price tag was a lot better. I have really oily acne prone skin. This not only takes off every bit of makeup but it leaves my face feeling soft and moisturized. I've also noticed my skin clearing up quite a bit. The smell is ok. The black lather takes a bit to get used to but it easily rinses away. The bar is huge and will last me quite a while. So glad I found this. Works well with my clarisonic.

on 3/1/2015 1:45:00 AM

I'm one of the people this didn't work for. It dried out my skin quite badly, giving my face that dry squeaky feeling. I know that overdrying the skin can cause more breakouts if your skin overcompensates by producing more oil.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Considering this is a soap that claims to help clear up acne, it's nice that it doesn't dry out my skin- but I only use this on the back of my legs so take that as you will. After trying prescription washes, BP, SA and toner to clear up my acne there, I decided it couldn't hurt to try this. I still have some slight acne but it's helped a ton, especially to clear up and prevent the cystic acne. All in all I really like this soap, I personally like the smell and the bar itself is well made and doesn't melt away easily.

Pros: Smells yummy, doesn't dry my skin out, leaves skin feeling smoother, light exfoliation, has definitely improved my painful cystic acne. These products are always on sale at Walgreen's so a good deal price wise, and the bar seems to last a long time. It also has a really nice, creamy lather.

Cons: Might make a slight mess in the tub, has some scrubby bits so can hurt over sensitive areas, was too drying for my facial skin but could be good for very oily people.

I Used it as a body soap and it really dried my skin out.

on 1/1/2015 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this soap! I mostly use it for my face, to help with my acne. It lasts for a decent amount of time. I cut it into smaller pieces, because of the size. Other than that. I love it!

on 12/24/2014 5:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I only thought BP or SA bars were the only bars of body soap that could treat my troubled, cystic acne prone body (back, shoulders, chest and in-between my breasts). I've tried so many other bars of body soap (Tree Hut Mango, used to be my favorite but breaks me out and Dove which is cheap and dries my skin out). I saw this at my local exchange (military kid here!) and bought two at the time since I thought, hey it's for acne and when I run out I'll have a back up. Good thing I did because doing my research I haven't found any other store that sells this bar of soap. (I live in the Alaska, Anchorage area). Many other stores sell things from this brand but not this specific black soap.

This soap is very big and has lasted me a full month with the bar barely melting in my shower with daily use while the classic Dove bars would melt every week it seems. It looks scary and leaves black residue on the tub floor that looks like mold and the liquid it forms into when you use it is black as well and looks like something is taking over your flesh (lovely I know). As you keep using it I've noticed that the bar of soap separates into what reminds me of rotting wood but it is still completely usable.

First off, I love that this is all natural. Go for green ingridients! Second, it hasn't been a miracle worker like some have stated here but I do break out far less than with other soaps. I don't believe that anything other than BP or SA can completely clear my body acne but this makes me breakout significantly less than others I've tried.

The smell is of black licorice and it is definitely emphasized when you use this in a hot shower which is honestly not something I prefer. However this bar does leave my skin feeling really nourished and not stripped dry (must be that shea butter). I would repurchase this again but considering it's been a month since I bought my first one I doubt I'll use up that and my back up anytime soon.

I just hope that I can find this somewhere outside of the military exchange (hopefully online) since I won't be a dependent for much longer!

Update 12/27/14 : just began using this soap with my Clarisonic Mia that I got for Christmas and it works beautifully! Gives me such a deep clean but still doesn't leave me feeling stripped or dry in any way which is so good considering I've heard that the Clarisonic can be very harsh.

on 12/17/2014 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I am so, so, so glad I tried this. My skin used to be full of acne, and then it cleared up for a while, then I started breaking out again. So I tried this, and it's made a world of difference. Using it morning and night, my skin has cleared up drastically and is now more radiant and glowing than before. I have the big bar, and a smaller bar I got in their acne kit. The smell is really nice, too.

The only negative I have to say is that some of the chunks in it can be pretty sharp. I've only run into that a couple times. Not sharp enough to scratch you or draw blood lol, just a bit uncomfortable.

But this is a staple in my skin care routine and will be for a very long time!

on 11/20/2014 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This soap is amazing on my skin! I use it as a facial wash and it has made my skin glow. I did go thru a purging period for a few days but since then my skin has been flawless! I follow up with witch hazel and garnier's gel moisturizer.