April 18, 2014 | 1851 users online

Gels/Soaps - Shea Moisture - Organic African Black Soap

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 8:03:00 PM More reviews by IndustryKoda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried Nubian Heritage and Shea Moisture and I prefer Shea Moisture's Black Soap. Bigger bar, soothing scent that is boyfriend friendly (he will actually use it) and I can leave it on my face as a mask and it is fine for eye makeup removal.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 1:14:00 AM More reviews by FallenWish

Life saver. I've cleansing my skin with unrefined coconut oil, and I'm going through the hell phase. On top of that, I stopped taking my birth control as well. So basically, zits galore. And they've been so freakin' stubborn. I just started using this stuff along with a Burt's Bee's product, but my skin has been clearing up drastically. Just after two days of use, my mom commented on how much clearer my skin looks. I wash my face at night with this, pat dry, and put on some extra virgin coconut oil. Then I rub in some of Burt's Bee's maximum strength salicylic acid spot treatment, 99.5% all natural. I'm so happy my skin is finally starting to clear up.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2014 6:14:00 AM More reviews by AngelWingsLipgloss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was going through a stubborn phase of acne that simply wouldn't stop not matter what I used! I had doctor's prescriptions, used high end and low end skin care. Nothing seemed to garner significant results. a friend recommended african black soap and it has given me some relief. I really enjoy using at night as the scent might be off putting to some during the daytime.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2014 5:07:00 AM More reviews by Possum44

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this! First, it's huge so it will last a long time and it smells nice, just like black licorice. I bought it cause it's good for troubled skin and cruelty free. I'm so loving that it is moisturerizing but doesn't cause body breakouts. My body breakouts are clearing up and disappearing. I get oiliness and dryness and this is just a great soap for my skin troubles.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2014 12:41:00 AM More reviews by geecard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I broke out in small pimples on my back and chest... Not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Softandpink

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love this soap!!! I just have to find a good place to keep it because it is so large. Almost too large for my soap dish. Anyway after use my skin is soft and appears to have a more even tone.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by bdiddy86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best thing since sliced bread. I'm African American, extremely oily, acne prone, sensitive skin. This was a Godsend! Not only did it clear my acne, but it made my face glow. The bar lasts forever! I use it day and night and it removes makeup wonderfully, and it doesn't sting my eyes like previous brands of black soap did. This is seriously my greatest beauty find of all time. Nothing else has worked for clearing my acne. Not Rentin-A, not Proactive, not any drug store facial wash... nothing but this! Just make sure to use a moisturizer after each use. Now if I could find something to remove my hyper-pigmentation, then I would be great!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by Makemeupnotcakemeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

SO IN LOVE !!
this soap is amazing. usually african black soap is very drying. this is not at all ! it has improved the texture in my skin & i rarely break out, I've been using this soap for about 2 months & i've only had one pimple thus far. sometimes i use this with my clarosonic mia other nights i just use my hands. I don't have a major downfall for this product but if i had to point one thing out it would be the fact that this soap leaves a " squeaky clean/ waxy " feeling on your face, but with the results that i have seen with this, that annoying squeaky clean feeling is more than bare able.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 10:14:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is a godsend.
My skin has been crazy problematic as of late. Dry patches on my cheeks and chin, a heavy layer of oil, and more acne-prone than usual. It's Winter here, so the harsh, dry air as been wreaking havoc. It's clear that my skin is overcompensating for the lack of moisture by hyperproducing oil like it's going out of style.
My usual cleansing routine is to use the Dr. Bronners almond castile soap, then follow it with a quick swipe of witch hazel, tea tree oil to treat any blemishes, and then jojoba oil to moisturize. Up until recently, this was working fine. But then the Winter came.
I switched to the oil cleansing method, using 1/3 jojoba and 2/3 castor (recommended for oily and acne-prone skin), but it just caused more acne and didn't help my skin repair itself or maintain any moisture. I know there is supposed to be a purging period, but the blemishes I was getting were large, painful, and in areas I never get blemishes. So I decided to stop.
So yesterday, I decided to give the Shea Moisture African black soap a try after hearing great things about it. Knowing that black soap has been a staple in many people's skin care regimes for years and years (I remember being intrigued seeing it in Annie Hall - "Are you joining a minstrel show?") made me feel comfortable with trying it out, since it's not a "fad" product.
The first thing I noticed upon using it was how clean my skin felt, but not stripped of its natural oils. My face felt soft, supple, and healthy. I immediately followed with jojoba, skipping the witch hazel, and for the first time in two months, I felt the oil actually absorbing into my skin, rather than sitting on top of the flakes and scales.
My skin continued to feel comfortable throughout the night, and the pain of a couple blemishes started to decrease.
By morning, when I looked in the mirror, I noticed that my blemishes had decreased in size and color significantly, having almost disappeared. My skin still felt soft and hydrated (even though I have the driest bedroom on the planet), my pores looked smaller, and my face didn't feel tight or uncomfortable like it does on most mornings.
I decided to use it in the shower, both on my face and the rest of my body, and my skin feels incredibly comfortable all over. No itchy, flaky, dry patches on my torso (a problem I deal with EVERY WINTER). No red, inflamed areas. Just soft skin.
And the smell. Oh my goodness, this stuff smells divine! It's odd - it's like an earthy, fruity scent. It's not heavy, and it doesn't overpower the senses. It's just a sweet scent that awakens my mind when it lathers.
I love this stuff. If after one day, I can be blown away by a product, that says a lot.
I like that it's in bar form. I find this lasts longer than a bottled liquid since it prevents me from using too much product.
It's about $5, which for a bang-up facial cleaner, is quite inexpensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Chikitapchocha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This soap has done so much for my skin! I love it