February 1, 2015 | 952 users online

Gels/Soaps - Shea Moisture - Organic African Black Soap

rated 2 of 5 on 1/3/2015 1:57:00 AM More reviews by productjunkie98

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I Used it as a body soap and it really dried my skin out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2015 3:03:00 AM More reviews by hallimaj

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this soap! I mostly use it for my face, to help with my acne. It lasts for a decent amount of time. I cut it into smaller pieces, because of the size. Other than that. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2014 5:24:00 AM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I only thought BP or SA bars were the only bars of body soap that could treat my troubled, cystic acne prone body (back, shoulders, chest and in-between my breasts). I've tried so many other bars of body soap (Tree Hut Mango, used to be my favorite but breaks me out and Dove which is cheap and dries my skin out). I saw this at my local exchange (military kid here!) and bought two at the time since I thought, hey it's for acne and when I run out I'll have a back up. Good thing I did because doing my research I haven't found any other store that sells this bar of soap. (I live in the Alaska, Anchorage area). Many other stores sell things from this brand but not this specific black soap.

This soap is very big and has lasted me a full month with the bar barely melting in my shower with daily use while the classic Dove bars would melt every week it seems. It looks scary and leaves black residue on the tub floor that looks like mold and the liquid it forms into when you use it is black as well and looks like something is taking over your flesh (lovely I know). As you keep using it I've noticed that the bar of soap separates into what reminds me of rotting wood but it is still completely usable.

First off, I love that this is all natural. Go for green ingridients! Second, it hasn't been a miracle worker like some have stated here but I do break out far less than with other soaps. I don't believe that anything other than BP or SA can completely clear my body acne but this makes me breakout significantly less than others I've tried.

The smell is of black licorice and it is definitely emphasized when you use this in a hot shower which is honestly not something I prefer. However this bar does leave my skin feeling really nourished and not stripped dry (must be that shea butter). I would repurchase this again but considering it's been a month since I bought my first one I doubt I'll use up that and my back up anytime soon.

I just hope that I can find this somewhere outside of the military exchange (hopefully online) since I won't be a dependent for much longer!

Update 12/27/14 : just began using this soap with my Clarisonic Mia that I got for Christmas and it works beautifully! Gives me such a deep clean but still doesn't leave me feeling stripped or dry in any way which is so good considering I've heard that the Clarisonic can be very harsh.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I am so, so, so glad I tried this. My skin used to be full of acne, and then it cleared up for a while, then I started breaking out again. So I tried this, and it's made a world of difference. Using it morning and night, my skin has cleared up drastically and is now more radiant and glowing than before. I have the big bar, and a smaller bar I got in their acne kit. The smell is really nice, too.

The only negative I have to say is that some of the chunks in it can be pretty sharp. I've only run into that a couple times. Not sharp enough to scratch you or draw blood lol, just a bit uncomfortable.

But this is a staple in my skin care routine and will be for a very long time!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Jessicabeelin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This soap is amazing on my skin! I use it as a facial wash and it has made my skin glow. I did go thru a purging period for a few days but since then my skin has been flawless! I follow up with witch hazel and garnier's gel moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by cairow

This is a product I recommend trying, at least once, in one form or another [bar, liquid soap, etc.].

I give this soap a five-star rating, as I am 99% sure it has been a big contributor to the clearing of my combo/acne-prone skin, that has been covered in area-focused cystic acne and resulting scars for the past five years or so.

The only times I have broken out in the past three months [since I purchased this soap] have been when I have not used it! So I've made sure to stick with it morning and night, with a facial brush a few days a week, and I am grateful for the results. No lie: my skin is the clearest it's been since I hit puberty, and my hyper-pigmentation has lightened to the point where I can feel comfortable wearing only an SPF moisturizer, even without concealer. I feel balanced and fresh, opposed to greasy midday.

The biggest negative to this product is it can be pretty drying--for me it is generally in nostril and forehead areas [possibly because I try to concentrate my cleansing in these generally oily spots?]. That being said, at least it encourages me to keep moisturized, which more than likely has also contributed to the significant healing.

I advise against using this, like most soap-type cleansers, on the eye area since it has that drying tendency. It also kinda burns a lot getting drops of this soap in your eyes. I just use an oil blend to remove my makeup pre-wash.

The bar also "melts" easily, so it has it's own soap dish.

Still, pros definitely outweigh the cons for me. I get pretty excited to wash my face now.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 1:42:00 AM More reviews by BlackPinStripes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Shea Moisture is an amazing company and this soap does not disappoint. I don't consider myself to have "troubled skin" but I could still see the difference this soap made for my skin in just one wash. I usually have a few small whiteheads each day but the morning after I used this soap I woke up with zero new breakouts!
This works better than some high end cleansers I have bought. It is just what I was looking for in a cleanser -- strong enough to remove my makeup but gentle enough on my sensitive skin. Leaves your skin feeling soft and clean, I can feel and see that my pores are clearer, and my skin is brighter and more even. And despite it being such a deep cleanser it is also very moisturizing, I don't feel the need to rush to put on moisturizer afterwards (but I have oily skin btw). I don't use too much, lather with warm water, rub gently for about 30 seconds and immediately rinse off with cool water.
All natural ingredients. It has an exotic earthy banana unisex scent so it could also be a great buy for a man. Highly highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2014 9:58:00 PM More reviews by joicena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well , I like the smell. Use it for my body( never use these things for my face ) , good for my skin. Will buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 7:33:00 PM More reviews by NewEra

I love this soap. I have acne on my shoulders and back and this is helping. It smells great and the bar is bigger than other bar soaps.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by felice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Hell no! Pass on this one ladies. I washed my face at 9pm and my face is still burning. I tried to re wash my face with purpose , and I also tried to just rinse my face with cold water and apply an organic moisturizer. MY FACE IS STILL ON FIRE!
If I could give negative lippies , I would. Back to target it goes tomorrow. This was my first shea moisture purchase. I will never purchase any products or use any products from this company again.

You have been warned.

Edit : 7/3/14 10:28 PM. ...

The soap left burns on my face.