Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

(**This is the list for the non-organic large bar. I believe they are the same but the small bars ingredients are organic**) African Black Soap Base , African Shea Butter , Oats , Aloe , Plantain Extract , Vitamin E , Essential Oil Blend , Vegetable Glycerin , Palm Ash , Rosemary Extract , Iron Oxides

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Purchased this soap for dry patches in my face. I previously used Ambi Black Soap but ran out and could not find anymore in the area. Ambi bar is $2 and Carol's Daughter was $5.79 for one bar. I was highly disappointed immediately upon using this product. It made my skin even drier and i all of a sudden began to get acne. I would not recommend this product to anyone. I still have a lot of the bar left. I found my Ambi and the dry skin was gone after my first use. I could have bought 3 bars of Ambi instead of wasting my money on Carol's Daughter. I will not buy any of their products after reading bad reviews on lots of their prosucts. Very disappointing experience.

MAKE SURE you cut the bar into cubes! For hygiene purposes, I highly recommend cutting the bar of soap into cubes so you can store away excess soap in a dry, clean place (A ziplock bag) You do not want to use they entire bar on your face at once!
I originally bought this soap in hopes it would deminish my hormonal acne. I have oily/combo skin and I get lots of little red pimples. I like this soap because it makes your skin feel clean and it's soothing at the same time. There is a strong scent! I love the scent, but it could bother some people. It smells VERY SWEET, like runts banana candy, or artificial fruity banana scent mixed with baby powder? As for acne fighting, I wouldn't say it treats acne like Salicylic Acid or Benzol per. I would say it takes long term usage to see results. It's more of a natural antibacterial property soap that will slowly aid in killing some acne causing bacteria on your face. Overall, this soap is more of a preventative measure against acne, not really a treatment for existing breakouts. You have to use it pretty religiously to see positive results. It's not a miracle worker either.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Okay product, of course this isn't raw natural black soap. This does make my face feel clean, like it is getting everything off. Been using about 2months and I haven't had any breakouts. I have semi sensitive skin. Will not repurchase. Only gave 3lippies because there's something in the ingredients to make this soap black :/

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Ive heard good things about this soap, so one day I bought it. Went home to use it & the smell is just overpowering...and im not sensitive to smells at all! But the smell made me not use this product after that 1 use.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

My daughter actually purchased this for her sensitive acne prone skin and I grabbed it to wash my face one night when I ran out of my normal face cleanser. I have no idea how well this works on acne prone skin but I can tell you that this stuff takes off makeup and waterproof mascara better and faster than anything I've ever used especially if you factor in convenience. Better than oil based removers, liquid cleansers, balms, silicone removers, anything. I use Tartes Lights Camera Splashes and have for years. It's the only mascara that doesn't irritate my eyes by the end of the day but it's a bitch to get off. I usually have the best luck with balm type removers or oils but it still takes some effort and rubbing and of course an extra step. This does not and it also doesn't irritate my eyes. I just lather up my face, use my silicone cleansing disc from sephora, rub my eyes gently until it feels like my mascara is no longer there rinse and done. All of my eye makeup is removed in one step. I love that this rinses clean with no residue and that I haven't lost any lashes from rubbing my eyes raw. Not having to spend $30 on remover balm doesnt hurt either. I don't know why this works so well. Bar soaps are usually pretty bad at removing makeup but I really dont care and this bar has lasted 2 months with barely a dent. I do apply moisturizer and treatment oils to the face/ eye area after as I normaly would and this has never made my face break out.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i used this alongside coconut oil for about a month as i have many acne scars it seemed to clear my skin slightly nothing drastic however it did make my skin very soft but my scars are still there after 4 weeks of prologoned use so i guess ill try another black soap

I was really excited to try this, but was extremely disappointed. I've had cystic acne on and off for the past 10 years. I had it under control for awhile and then started to break out a little again. I picked this up at Walgreens because of the good reviews. Not only did it stain everything in my bathroom, but it made me break out all over in big, red painful cysts. I set it aside for about 5 months and tried it again last week just to make sure it was the cause (only used it on my forehead this time) and sure enough it happend again. If you have sensitive skin, stay away from this!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have very oily, acne-prone skin. I've always heard that shea butter should not be used on acne-prone skin, because it clogs pores and causes more breakout. So even thought I had seen this soap at the store for a long time, I never purchased it because shea butter was one of its ingredients. But when I read the reviews on here, with people raving about how it healed up their skin, i went out and bought it. I fooled myself into thinking that maybe this formulation of shea butter was different. The first day of using it, I liked how squeaky clean my face felt. But a few days later my face was broken out with cysts, and the whole pH balance of my skin was off. I'm still recovering from its effect.
I don't know who can safely use this soap. If you have acne-prone skin, it could break you out even more. And if you have dry skin, it will strip your skin's moisture even more.

OKay so let me start out with saying I defintely have some troubled skin. I've tried so many cleansers at LUSH, used every drug store cleanser you can think of, tried philosophy, and NOTHING has worked for me. I am a frequent makeup wearer, pretty much every day. I have generally sensitive skin, and I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide so it's important to me to find skin care that contains natural ingredients. I have scarring and frequently break out. On a whim, I found this little gem at target for $3.99 and figured it wouldn't be a huge loss if it didn't work out for me. WOW am I glad I found this!!! After 1 DAY of using this I had already received a compliment saying my skin was clearing up. It does have a different smell, but I actually like it a lot. It's been about 3 weeks and I am LOVING this product. It makes my skin feel so clean, without making it feel dry. The only inconvenience to me is the packaging, being it is a bar so it's just wrapped in plastic but I don't mind with how good this product is. I even have used it to wash my brushes and it has gotten them cleaner than any other product I've ever used to clean them and quickly too!! If you're on the fence about buying this product just do it!! I can't wait to try more products from this brand. It's amazing, holy grail most definitely.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Shea Moisture's African Black Soap is a thick, black bar that will last for about 3-4 weeks. It comes in a plastic wrapper with a label on each side. Expect for it to have little chunks throughout which give it a textured feel and appearance. It also has a very rich lather, as well as a sweet scent that reminds me of banana pudding (it smells yummy!). It is excellent at cleansing the skin, and leaves a faint, sweet smell on my skin after I am done showering (I don't use it on my face). Sometimes I catch a whiff of the scent during the day, and become so impressed at how overly wonderful I smell (lol), especially since I don't use perfume. It doesn't leave my skin sticky, dry or coated like some of the other soap bars that I've used in the past. It's actually very gentle, and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. I have used this soap daily for 3 months straight and have yet to see it make any difference at all in clearing the blemishes that are on my back. Nevertheless, I really like it! I do have one gripe in particular though… This soap has stained my towels, making them permanently darker, paler and less vibrant than they were before. So, if you want to keep your towels looking gorgeous, I suggest you purchase a bath mesh (or something)! I have had no experience with it staining my tub or soap holder.

For a more in depth review, you can check out my blog post: