December 19, 2014 | 1671 users online

Gels/Soaps - Shea Moisture - Organic African Black Soap

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I am so, so, so glad I tried this. My skin used to be full of acne, and then it cleared up for a while, then I started breaking out again. So I tried this, and it's made a world of difference. Using it morning and night, my skin has cleared up drastically and is now more radiant and glowing than before. I have the big bar, and a smaller bar I got in their acne kit. The smell is really nice, too.

The only negative I have to say is that some of the chunks in it can be pretty sharp. I've only run into that a couple times. Not sharp enough to scratch you or draw blood lol, just a bit uncomfortable.

But this is a staple in my skin care routine and will be for a very long time!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Jessicabeelin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This soap is amazing on my skin! I use it as a facial wash and it has made my skin glow. I did go thru a purging period for a few days but since then my skin has been flawless! I follow up with witch hazel and garnier's gel moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by cairow

This is a product I recommend trying, at least once, in one form or another [bar, liquid soap, etc.].

I give this soap a five-star rating, as I am 99% sure it has been a big contributor to the clearing of my combo/acne-prone skin, that has been covered in area-focused cystic acne and resulting scars for the past five years or so.

The only times I have broken out in the past three months [since I purchased this soap] have been when I have not used it! So I've made sure to stick with it morning and night, with a facial brush a few days a week, and I am grateful for the results. No lie: my skin is the clearest it's been since I hit puberty, and my hyper-pigmentation has lightened to the point where I can feel comfortable wearing only an SPF moisturizer, even without concealer. I feel balanced and fresh, opposed to greasy midday.

The biggest negative to this product is it can be pretty drying--for me it is generally in nostril and forehead areas [possibly because I try to concentrate my cleansing in these generally oily spots?]. That being said, at least it encourages me to keep moisturized, which more than likely has also contributed to the significant healing.

I advise against using this, like most soap-type cleansers, on the eye area since it has that drying tendency. It also kinda burns a lot getting drops of this soap in your eyes. I just use an oil blend to remove my makeup pre-wash.

The bar also "melts" easily, so it has it's own soap dish.

Still, pros definitely outweigh the cons for me. I get pretty excited to wash my face now.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 1:42:00 AM More reviews by BlackPinStripes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Shea Moisture is an amazing company and this soap does not disappoint. I don't consider myself to have "troubled skin" but I could still see the difference this soap made for my skin in just one wash. I usually have a few small whiteheads each day but the morning after I used this soap I woke up with zero new breakouts!
This works better than some high end cleansers I have bought. It is just what I was looking for in a cleanser -- strong enough to remove my makeup but gentle enough on my sensitive skin. Leaves your skin feeling soft and clean, I can feel and see that my pores are clearer, and my skin is brighter and more even. And despite it being such a deep cleanser it is also very moisturizing, I don't feel the need to rush to put on moisturizer afterwards (but I have oily skin btw). I don't use too much, lather with warm water, rub gently for about 30 seconds and immediately rinse off with cool water.
All natural ingredients. It has an exotic earthy banana unisex scent so it could also be a great buy for a man. Highly highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2014 9:58:00 PM More reviews by joicena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well , I like the smell. Use it for my body( never use these things for my face ) , good for my skin. Will buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 7:33:00 PM More reviews by NewEra

I love this soap. I have acne on my shoulders and back and this is helping. It smells great and the bar is bigger than other bar soaps.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by felice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Hell no! Pass on this one ladies. I washed my face at 9pm and my face is still burning. I tried to re wash my face with purpose , and I also tried to just rinse my face with cold water and apply an organic moisturizer. MY FACE IS STILL ON FIRE!
If I could give negative lippies , I would. Back to target it goes tomorrow. This was my first shea moisture purchase. I will never purchase any products or use any products from this company again.

You have been warned.

Edit : 7/3/14 10:28 PM. ...

The soap left burns on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2014 10:19:00 PM More reviews by shooootor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing. Im a product junkie. The amount of products I buy constantly is ridiculous. Not since buying this soap. My skin care needs are so satisfied I don't feel like need to get anything else...For my skin that is, hair is a different story! Im acne prone, dullness prone, clogged pore prone. Ive tried literally every single type of skin care from homemade to high end. Ive tried perscription and panoxyl, oil cleansing, biotherm, vichy u name it. Nothing has ever made my skin so glowly, so even, so clear!! Within 2 days my redness is gone, my blemishes and sploches are gone, its not drying, it removes make up, super soft even skin tone. What else could you want. Oh and its a massive bar for 5 bucks. Please everyone try it, if it does happen work for you, you'd miss out not to!! HG.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 8:07:00 AM More reviews by Bitz91

I suffer from some moderate body acne on my upper arms, chest, and back and although my face is very clear of breakouts I've always had blackheads on my nose and chin. Needless to say I've tried everything from drug store acne washes to proactive with little effect on my stubborn acne and blackheads. I've been trying to simplify my beauty routine and try more natural products, and noticed this in the natural section of my local drug store. I had heard about African black soap being great for acne prone skin and for $4.95 for a giant bar of soap I though why not. I'm glad I did. After one wash I noticed my skin felt clean, soft, and residue free. After one week I've noticed that my spots on my arms, chest, and back are clearing up and healing and my face is completely spot free with my pores getting smaller and looking cleaner with every use. I just lather up with a shower poof for my body and I use this soap with my clarisonic for my face and follow with 100% argan oil as a moisturizer. I don't find this soap overly drying and don't seem to need to moisturize my whole body everyday like I used to with standard body wash. When I do moisturize I use virgin coconut oil on damp skin then towel dry off the excess. Overall I've seen improvement in my skins clarity and tone in only a week of use and the overall texture of my skin is soft and velvety so much so I can consider skipping a moisturizer for the first time in my life. The sent is a soft earthy banana like sent that doesn't seem linger on the skin after bathing and isn't distinctly feminine or masculine. I defiantly think this soap is holy grail material for me, and for such good value for money too!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by magpie5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this soap. I've been using Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub for years but for the past few months it didn't seem like it was getting the job done. After reading all the glowing reviews on a bunch of different sites, I stopped into Walgreens to pay the cheap price of $5 to try it out. The stuff smells amazing - a rich, exotic scent that fills the bathroom. I absolutely love the smell! I rub it into a nice lather and massage onto my face - it takes off EVERYTHING. Careful around the eyes, though - it does tend to sting if I get it in mine. I also put my eye cream on right after I finish washing because my eyelids tend to feel dry. I have oily skin, and this product has not dried my face out. Miraculously though, I have no breakouts! I usually always have at least two zits or whiteheads on my face every day. So needless to say, this could be a Godsend. I also use retinol products - ROC night cream and RoC serum during the day - to speed up the recovery process of some recent hyperpigmentation markings. No bad combinations or overdrying from either of them, but like I said, I do have oily skin so it can take it. I also use the Olay microdermabrasion kit 2-3 times a week to help with the HP..my skin is finally getting better. Especially now with this soap, I don't have any new breakouts to combat & can focus on bettering my skin's overall appearance. I highly recommend this product - my skin tone looks more lively and is glowing! No more drab complexion! I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with no harsh chemicals, etc. in the soap - 5 stars!