Avon Perle Noir

3.3

on 1/12/2015 9:39:00 PM

. I am surprised at how much I have ended up liking this. Though it is a bit too sweet for me on its own. initial spray comes out as a bit sharp alcohol and perfume -like AND IMO generic mainstream department store fragrance. I've tried this a few times, and I determined the crappy bottle atomizer releases too much. I eventually took care of this issue by breaking the bottle atomizer apart, decanting into a dabber and dabbing. (I suppose some would argue that avon is a step down from department stores, but I don't agree. I am an ardent fan of vintage avon, especially Bird of. Paradise which to me is evocative of both vintage Miss dior EdC and vintage Vol de Nuit extrait).

Thankfully Perle Noire quickly morphs into a subtle but not screechy or plastic cedar wood dry down that melds into the skin. The spice rounds out and smooths the wood, but this is NOT spicy, dark or oriental in feel. Could transition from day to light evening. Substantially sweeter than avon Persian Wood. And a little less sugar sweet (with no plastic doll head) than Kurdjians Lady Vengeance or Rochas Tocade. I bring those two up because Perle Noire somehow smells cedar rose wood oriental modern (no moss) chypric. Or maybe I am hallucinating since I have tested so many rose chypres lately. After a while, I think I smell lemon in the dry down (this is incredibly positive IMO since citrus often turns synthetic and candied on me - it's perfectly natural here).

I do prefer to layer with SL Ambre Sultan (amber oriental that tones down the sweetness), or a bit of Lorenzo Villarossi Garafano (carnation geranium and adds brightness and spiciness) IMO. Sometimes I am in the mood to interject a shot of EL vintage Spellbound extrait (the one that comes in a squat square crystal bottle and is a dark reddish amber color, not the new greenish liquid). I think I might try some CdG Avignon next.

A very different fragrance, vintage Adolpho for men heats up with carnation in the same gentle way. (Adolpho, though, starts out with a blast of Galbanum which makes it very different in mood, season, temperature, evocations).

This is, to me, an easy to wear, likeable fragrance that could be unisex if applied very sparingly (decanted, not sprayed). It doesn't radiate the same amount of spicy dusky carnation as vintage EL spellbound extrait (dark reddish amber liquid in a squat glass bottle with a stopper); or as spicy powdery as vintage Opium.

I have read reviews comparing it to polge's coco chanel. Perle noire has a more distinct wood, less floral, with spice and citrus and fruit to round and lift the fragrance. IMO, it almost behaves like a very gentle baby version of a vintage spiced golden fruit chypre (the spice here is much more muted and gentle than mitsouko). I have to say that I am not a particular fan of coco; all my admiration went to the sharper more animalic original ungaro Diva, another Polge's?, that came around the same time.

Extremely modestly priced and plentiful on line. I would categorize this or the very different Imari as modern avon, and I always thought I would prefer vintage avon (Persian wood or topaz). I had decided to delve into vintage avon because I read numerous reviews about how they contained more quality ingredient than today's modern luxury niche offerings. If you decide to purchase vintage avon, I recommend looking for splash bottles stored in their boxes, hopefully not degraded too much by light or heat. If it smells skunky or off, then it had spoiled.

Note: the longer it is on my skin, the better (and spicier it gets). Very very nice. A keeper. It's a feel good scent that won't cause offense. I am thinking this could be almost as versatile a layering ingredient as Ambre Sultan (different accords of course).

Notes: fruit; carnation, rose, cloves, spices, wood. By Jean. Paul Subrenat 1993.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

What a blast from the past! Yes, I love that first whiff. Inhale, inhale, quick, for the strong first blast is ever too short. Deep, dark, more intense spices immediately follow.
Long, finned caddies, rhinestone necklaces, elbow satin gloves, strapless dresses and sensuous red lipstick...this is a classic perfume of a time and era. I can luxuriate in this stuff for hours.
Why oh why does Avon discontinue their best perfumes? Perle Noire should be classified as as oriental floral perfume in Avon's all time Top Ten. Spicy cloves, a good sweet patchouli, subtle woods and warm spices mix together to create a believable mix of an oriental that's not overpowering or synthetic. Perle Noire radiates just enough to give an aura of sexiness that is painted of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
There's almost a kitchen kitten sexiness to Perle Noire. You know, clear the table where everything goes flying and...I'm sure you get the picture.
This perfume lasts for hours. Still available on the secondary market and well worth it.
Fragrance Notes: Carnation, Rose, Clove, Spices, Woodsy Notes, Fruity Notes, Oriental Notes.

on 6/14/2009 2:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

A very pretty discontinued fragrance. Smells a bit like roses, aldehydes and spicy carnation. Definitely an old-style floral, but nicely elegant and tea-party suitable. Light floral, and not for evening, though, so the name is misleading.