October 22, 2014 | 2073 users online

Hair - L'Oreal - Mega Blonde haircolor

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

Sigh...I wish this had worked for me. There are a lot of positive reviews so I am guessing it is the combo of my hait and this product but it really did not help lighten without brassyness. I am a very dirty blonde (truly dishwater) and I get my hair professionally highlighted and the colorist uses bleach. She does not tone the bleach but she may add something to cancel out the orange/gold as hers comes out fairly clean white. My roots show quickly so in an effort to save money and time, I try to lighten the roots myself. I probably should stop doing this as I can't seem to get a good system going. Many years ago, I would use bleach and tone with Clairol toners (the discountinued line) and that worked well. Maybe it is due to age but my hair just pulls way too orange for me to do it on my own it seems. I was hoping to use just color and not bleach/toner (I have to tone bleach from yellow when I use it) as I get breakage with that but this is not the answer. I left it on about 55 minutes as at 45 mins I could still see a lot of brass. It did lighten the hair a lot and I have used a gentle toner to try to correct it but it still is not great. I gave it a two becuase it left my hair in decent shape at least (better than bleach for sure) but i would recommend using this if you don't pull strong brass when you color normally.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2012 5:40:00 PM More reviews by LoriBecky

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I actually think this is a great product! The only time I ended up with brassiness was when I didn't let it process long enough - you really need the full 45 minutes. At this point I only touch up my roots, put conditioner on the ends before I start. Every few months I'll process from roots to ends just to freshen it up - but I have much less damage from this then I did from bleaching/hi-lights and it is so much less expensive and less time consuming. I do sometimes miss having some low-lights, but over all, based on time, convenience, cost, and overall result, this is a great product!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2011 9:36:00 PM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

High-lift my ass! I used this in the lightest shade (I believe they call it "ivory", although it hardly is!) on my way overgrown, dishwater blonde roots, and it hardly did anything to the color. After leaving it on for an hour, all I got was a dark VERY brassy gold. Definitely won't use this again. Do not trust the swatch or the product name, or you will be very disappointed!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2009 7:19:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Okay, I am now on a quest to not use bleach as much on my hair. I like the way bleach looks, as in it lightens my hair to a nice platinum shade, but it is just too damaging to my fine hair. I can do highlights with bleach here and there, but on my roots every month is just causing too much damage, plus my hair is so dry. So back to high lift blonde for me. High lift blonde haircolor has never damaged my hair as much as bleach does. However, when using high lift blonde I sacrifice the amount of lightness that bleach gives me. Of course, like I said, I can add highlights with bleach to my hair to help that a bit.

So on to my review. I used to use the Mega Blondes years ago. I can't remember the shade I used so I am trying to find one that works best for me. Best for me means a high amount of lift yet minimal brassiness. I'm also tired of toning my hair (which I had to do after bleaching), so finding a haircolor that stays on the ashy side is good for me. My skintone is fair with a touch of pink so gold haircolor looks bad. I purchased the Lightest Ivory Blonde shade, which I probably shouldn't have since it has a Blue and Gold Base. I should have purchased a strictly Blue or Violet base instead.

Of course this haircolor is like other professional haircolors when it comes to use. You mix 2 ounces of color to 2 ounces of developer. Mega Blondes does the guesswork for you when it comes to developer since they give you only 30 volume. This is high enough to lift to blonde while safe enought to use on the scalp. I didn't feel much burn with this haircolor while it was on my scalp either, so that is good. I felt a tiny bit on the back of my scalp but it wasn't bad and certainly not the same kind of burn that bleach can cause. I left this product on for about 45 minutes. I also added 15 drops of Red Gold Corrector to help eliminate brassiness.

After washing out, I was happy to see that it did lift quite a bit, however my roots could be lighter and they do have a slight brassy tone to them. Also, I did apply this color only to my roots and after combing through my hair the shade seemed to mesh well into my platinum hair.

Overall, this is a pretty good high lift blonde haircolor. Like I said before, I should have gone with a shade with a strictly Blue or Violet base to eliminate brassiness furthur. It isn't bad though, just has a slight yellow to it. I'm hoping that this might fade out over time and since I use purple shampoo two or three times a week then it might. Next time I will get a different shade to see if I can get where I want to be. Brunettes beware...since my naturally dark ash blonde hair still got brassiness from this haircolor, you can pretty much guarantee that you will turn orangey from this haircolor. It is better for you to go ahead and bleach and tone.

Wow, this is a long review, but I like this line of haircolor so far but not so much this shade. So yes, I would buy from the line again, but not the Lightest Ivory Blonde. The Cool Ash Blonde might be the one I will try next.

Update: 10/19/2009:

Okay, I used the MB4/Lightest Ash Blonde and it is so much better! My hair is a very light blonde now with only a tiny bit of a yellow tinge.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 10:11:00 AM More reviews by emilee317

i kind of had the same issue as below .. hair salons all just wanted to give me highlights! (i think bc it's more $$$) but i wanted a single process.. i had so many highlights i figured it was about time i go all blonde..

i went to a salon and she gave me a single process. it came out too gold, and i looked like i was wearing a halo.

sooo - a month later i read about mega blondes, went to ricky's, bought the lightest natural blonde and did a test strip. i liked it, so i went for the whole head, left of 45 minutes, and voila! i looove it. i can not believe i did it myself!! i used to do my own hair with demi when it was dark, but never permanent with blonde. i also was luck to have an old roommate who was a colorist - so i learned some tips along the way.

next time i may go for more ash.. as this color is a tad yellow.. but not bad! i still love it. the coverage is full and my hair is silky. only bad thing that came from this is my scalp is a little burned.. so maybe next time ill do 40 min?

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2008 9:47:00 PM More reviews by saintsvalentine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After one hairdresser after another told me I couldn't lighten my light/medium brown hair to a very light brown or dark blonde without bleach, i decided to go ahead and take matters into my own hands. I wanted a new color, not highlights, which is apparently all anybody could recommend besides bleaching.
Well, i did some research and i thought, why not use a hi-lift blonde?
My hair had some undesired red tones in it, so i bought a very light ash blonde in the Mega Blondes with the 30 vol developer. I really didn't expect it to lift more than 1-2 shades (my hair had already been dyed), but lo and behold: my hair is a very nice shade of dark golden blonde. well it's not too gold, it's not orange or anything - it's neutral with some warmth (i did have a lot of red in my hair before). It's much lighter and blonder than i had intended it to be, but it's quite nice actually, and i might just keep it this way for awhile.
So i say, if you have dark hair like i did, and want to go lighter - or blonde, without bleaching it all to hell, try this - the color is beautiful and glossy AND my hair doesn't feel any more dry or damaged than when i use a demi or something with very low peroxide. It really still feels healthy, and looks healthy too. It wasn't my target color, but hey, it's not too dark - which is just awful to fix - it's not too brassy, and i can always go a bit darker. I'll proably use unred in my shampoo/conditioner to tone down any brassiness. but i think it looks totally professional, and if i had wanted medium/dark blonde, this would be almost exactly what i wanted. so much better than bleaching, way more dramatic than highlights, and i did it for about $10.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2005 1:58:00 PM More reviews by babybabybaby

Ive been bleaching my medium brown hair platinum blonde for many years now... This is perfect. However, to achieve maximum results... one needs to follow directions to a T... Plus, I dont recommend hairbleaching newbies to ever begin themselves. With ALL bleach you can get brassy orange hair- its all about doing a DOUBLE process and finding toners to tone down that. I dont need any toner or double process just because my hair is used to it and now I just dye my roots every month with it. But this along with Clairol's MAXI blonde are the best for bleaching yourself.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2004 1:44:00 PM More reviews by fetishdolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This left my hair looking orangey and brassy. It didn't lift my fine, light hair. I won't buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2002 5:39:00 PM More reviews by AmandaMPC

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been self-coloring, bleaching, tinting, highlighting and etc. my own hair for longer than I care to recall -- partly because I hate going to the hair salon and being "trapped" in that blasted chair for hours on end; and partly because I'm an "experimental kind of girl" who enjoys tinkering with what my hair looks like. That being said, I have gone blonde (and subsequently un-blonde) probably about four times since college, and as such I am well-acquainted with the horrors of double-processing (my natural color is a light to medium ash-brown.) Color stripping is probably one of the scariest, most nerve-wracking processes one can do to one's own head (i.e. if it goes wrong you end up with a flame-orange 'do that only Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten could love), and though I have been dying to go back to blonde lately I just couldn't bring myself to endure the torture. Fortunately, I found this professional single-process (lifts up to four shades) blonder at Sally's Beauty. In short, (because this review is starting to get very long) let me say that I'm most pleased with the results; I used a shade called "lightest ivory blonde" and it did in fact do a nice highlift without any brassiness or excessive gold tones. It is a two-part product -- color and developer -- and the developer is of course pretty peroxide heavy; but surprisingly, the smell of the product was not so horribly awful as some of the "consumer market" hair colors I've used. In fact, it smelled a little like Ivory soap IMO. And the damage to my hair was minimal; it still felt quite soft and unsnarled on rinse-out (although I did use a color mix-in product called 777 Perfector, which reduces coloring damage to your hair.) In general, for anyone thinking of going blonder and looking for a relatively inexpensive way to do it, I think this product, at least in this shade, attains pretty decent results.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No