October 24, 2014 | 1460 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sun SPF50 Face Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2014 11:35:00 AM More reviews by LipstickLesbian27

I'll admit to being a face sunscreen newbie. I was never taught to wear sunscreen daily, especially on the face, so at nearly 23 I am finally clued in, hopefully not too late to prevent early ageing and skin cancer. I picked this product up at my local sephora; it is usually way more than I would spend on such a small product, but I trusted the brand, and have bad memories of drugstore sunscreens being greasy and breaking me out like crazy. I have nothing bad to say about this product. Is it amazing? No. But realistically, I don't expect any sunscreen to be a skin care game changer. Sunscreen isn't like other skin care products, in that it doesn't do anything fancy or exciting; it doesn't reduce acne, it doesn't necessarily moisturize, it doesn't fade scarring or hyper-pigmentation. Its effects are mostly invisible until many years down the line, so in the mean time, you just need to use it and make sure it doesn't cause a reaction, or interact poorly with the other products you use on your face. On that front, this product does its job. It has a fairly thick consistency, and spreads very easily. It has a faint sunscreen smell, but I don't mind; it reminds me of my summers I spent outside swimming as a child, so I actually like it. I try to use the recommended 1/4 teaspoon on my face in order to get the full protection, and it feels very moisturizing. Does it sink in right away? Nope, but give it 5-10 minutes, and it settles in just fine. I haven't had any problems with this product causing breakouts or dry/itchy patches, which is my #1 skin care concern. I've worn it under make up, and it doesn't interfere with that at all. If anything, it provides that extra moisture and "plumped" look, so my make up looks less cakey than usual.

This product is NOT matte, and it won't stay dry and flawless if you are out in disgustingly hot, humid weather. However, nothing you put on your face will stay put if you are sweating enough, so I don't expect any product to magically transform how my skin reacts to heat and sweat. If you slap any sunscreen on and then immediately head out into swampy weather, you are going to get unideal results. As for not being matte, I personally like a bit of a dewy look, I feel that it looks more fresh and hydrated. This product provides just enough dewiness to not look oily, but my skin is drier now than it was in my teens, so that might not work for oiler skin. I can't speak to whether or not it leaves a white cast. I know that that is a super important factor when choosing a sunscreen, but honestly I am so pale that I don't know if it's possible for any white cast to look noticeable to me or others.

Overall, this product doesn't cause any breakouts or reactions on my skin, it is moisturizing and provides me with a nice, healthy looking complexion (the pale girl's alternative to a tanned glow), works nicely under make up, and has a high SPF. I am going to be trying other products when this one runs out, because it is pretty expensive, and I would like to find a cheaper, drugstore alternative (Neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch is next). However, at least I have an old reliable if my quest for cheap sunscreen ends up being a fail.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 8:01:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

I've been using this for a couple of weeks and like it. Its a white cream that goes one clear, so no ghost face! Its a little thick and needs a few minutes to sink in. It feels cushiony and gives a nice glow under foundation. Its defientely geared for normal to dry skin, its too thick for anyone else. Although, I don't find it very hydrating. No irritation or clog pores so far, I might buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by Finality

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the high SPF but the product feels incredibly greasy on my face, and I have very dry skin that I treat with retinoids. The product just sits on top of my skin and actually even burns a bit when I first apply it--something that rarely happens to me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2013 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Juliasyji

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a pretty decent sunscreen. I am a daily sun screen wearer and usually I wear the korean or the japanese variety. When I can't get then, I go for the shiseido cream or the lotion. But lately, I've been wanting something that didn't have that silicone-y feeling sunscreen. I picked this up as I know clinique makes a decent sunscreen at a pretty decent pricing and I've been happy with it.

It it not greasy at all which is great, does not give a white cast which is also a plus.
I am annoyed however at how the product dries up a bit at the opening (even though I always close the cap shut), and when I'm rubbing the cream onto my face, there is almost always a little dried up ball of product that I have to roll off of my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Dromero03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I like this product very much for its high UVA and UVB rays protection. It goes on smoothly and doesn't leave a white residue behind. However the reason why I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5 is because at times it feels heavy. If it is very humid outside, I feel like I can feel the cream all day. It is not humid then it feels fine. Nonetheless, it is a bit thick so I apply nice dots on my face while my skin is still went from the Michael Todd serum I use and rub it in so that it spreads nicely. If I do it like this, it feels better throughout the day. If I don't then it feels heavy which I don't like. While I might highly buy this again all year around, nonetheless I will test others to see if they feel less heavy from other brands but that offer the same protection.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Ispania

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the last time I'm buying Clinique SPF face cream. I bought before city block SPF 40 face cream which didn't match my skin ( check my review if interested) as much as this one.
It is oil free but feels heavy and greasy. It doesn't leave white cast as much as others do and ok when I use make up on top of it, but usually I have to apply my Tarte poreless primer on top of it to matify skin. I've been using it for a couple of days, but today I forgot to apply primer and I couldn't help touching my face all the time because of unpleasant feeling. The only thing I wanted was to wash my face. And this is only the end of may, and it was a little bit windy today, plus my skin is not oily at the time. I am afraid to think what will happen in the middle of summer when my skin is oilier and the weather is humid and hot.

The consistency of the cream is thick and and it doesn't seem to absorb fast. It has regular SPF cream scent, which isn't strong or unpleasant. It has antioxidants which is the only thing I love about this cream.

This face cream is for dry or normal skin. If you are on the oily side then it might not work for you. I also think its expensive ($21) compared to drugstore brands as Neotrogena which I didn't try yet, but definitely going to.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2012 4:56:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I have OSPW skin (Oily - Sensitive - Pigmented - Wrinkle prone) according to the Bahmann system. NW10 (fair), blue eyes, oily/combination skin in the summer, normal/dry in the winter.

I bought this sunscreen as my first foray into incorporating sunscreen into daily wear. I found I ended up avoiding it in the summer, as it was too creamy (translation: greasy by 1pm) for use under my foundation, even when I used it as a moisturizer/sunscreen/primer.

I did like it in the winter, except I suspect it clogged some pores, as I had pretty frequent (although minor) break outs while using it. I see from some reviews that I am not alone, and that shea butter may be the cause. I can handle some oils on my face, such as jojoba, but others, such as coconut, make me explode in acne, so who knows.

There are cheaper matte drugstore foundations that I like better for summer (Neutrogena's Sheer Matte) and creamy sunscreens for winter that don't break me out, so while this wasn't a bad value or product (sunscreen worked well), it is not a repeat buy for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by Farunka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very dry skin and this sunscreen worked great on my face, it became my favourite sunscreen this summer, I saw it in a CCO for 16 $ and went back later to get it but it was gone (no surprise) but they had the body sunscreen for 17 $ and its a HUGE bottle/tube, I tried it on my hand and it felt very similar to the facial sunscreen so I got the body cream and now I have been using it on my face for a while (i have very dry skin so Im not sure this would work on people with different skin type) so basically for me, the face and the body cream are both great.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2011 6:28:00 AM More reviews by Vicffie

I'm attracted to Clinique's products because of its fragrant-free, it caters to my needs and preference. However, when I use the SPF50 face cream, my face started to itch and rashes began to appear. I do not have sensitive skin, and this is the first time I encounter such incident with beauty products. I used the cream twice and on both occasions, the symptoms appear, this bothers me and I feel disappointed in the product.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2011 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is perfect BUT for the fact that is has Shea Butter. Why? Why put such a comedogenic ingredient in an otherwise wonderful sunscreen? WHHHYYYY? It breaks me out. And I couldnt return it. I may use it on my hands and feet.