manuka honey

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

did not clear up my acne at all but really does help in reducing any redness i had on my face. it is expensive but i would pay double or triple for facial masks so in the grand scheme of things $20 is not a lot for an antibacterial mask or spot treatment

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

!!WARNING!!

Be careful when using this PLEASE!

So my skin was near perfect (for my skin) after a few years of struggling with acne and breakouts I finally found products that were working for me (dudu osan black soap! <3) and my skin just naturally calmed down. My skin was smooth and soft after I did my homemade exfoliater and my dark marks were fading. So I decided to make the terrible terrible decision to take my skin care up a notch to see if I could get to the next level of perfect skin. Bad idea.

I spent anywhere from $28-$35 on this fancy pants manuka honey from Whole Foods, after hearing amazing things about it for the skin. Mind you, I have been wanting to try Manuka honey for years but never got around to it. I used it as a mask and left it over night the first night an woke up to nothing special. My skin was fine (as it had been). I did notice a few tiny flesh colored bumps but there were only a few so I didn't mind it. I repeated this the next day and my skin seemed a little better I thought, but again not such a noticeable change.

Then day three came.........
My word! My skin was an absolute disaster. What seemed like hundreds of tiny flesh colored bumps appeared alllll over my face! Everywhere, my nose, my chin, my cheeks, my forhead, even on my ears! It was terrible. On top of the grotesque bumpy texture and look of my skin, it itched like CRAZY! I had never experienced such an itching sensation in my face before. My skin was ruined. I didn't even leave the house in the day time for a few days. I was completely devastated. My skin had been near perfect and I had ruined it. It literally took about 2-3 months for my skin to go back to normal, and although my skin is worlds better now, Its still not as perfect as it was prior to me using the Manuka honey.

I spent the days after the initial reaction desperately searching for answers. I bought Benadryl and started taking antihistamine because my face looked like I had a reaction, not a breakout. Upon researching, I found out that using honey (such as Manuka honey) on the face can cause allergic reactions for those who suffer from seasonal or summertime allergies! BING BING BING! I have the worst seasonal allergies, especially in the summer! So Manuka honey definitely caused an allergic reaction.

And so, I'm writing this review as a warning to those who may be in a similar position. While I don't doubt that Manuka honey may be great for the skin, and really help some with acne, do yourself a favor and steer clear of this if you have seasonal allergies because it may cause a terrible reaction. This goes for all types of honey not just Manuka. I have since went back to my normal cleanser and exfoliater and my skin is doing great. My advise for anyone who is going through this is to just go back to basic gentle skin care that you know your skin likes and be patient. The reaction was horrendous and it sucked but it did get better everyday. I went to the doctor but he said there's nothing you can really do, and that the body with heal itself with time (which was true). I used a benadryl creme on my face at night that really helped to soothe the skin and stop the itching because that was really bad. Hope this helped! :)

I have been washing my face with honey for 4-5 months now (in addition to OCM to remove makeup), but just recently made the plunge and bought some Manuka honey. I bought a 10+ organic Makuna at Trader Joes for like 11 bucks, which (after some of the prices I've seen) was a pretty dang good deal.
Since switching to Manuka honey vs. regular raw honey, I've seen a huge difference in my skin. It's still not perfect, but I haven't had a cystic pimple since I started using it (which was one of my big problems). The clarity and tone of my face looks much better, and for the first time in my life I actually feel comfortable seeing people without makeup on! It has also seemed to help bring those annoying clogged pores up and out through the surface...they will turn into blackheads and thus be a lot easier to extract. Sometimes I go a little overboard with the picking and my skin ends up a bit swollen and inflamed, but I just do a honey mask with the Manuka and a little lavender oil, leave it on for 20-60 minutes (or however long I have time for) and it helps calm it right down!
Although I've only tried it once or twice, I'm not crazy about using it for a spot treatment overnight just because it's so sticky and I'm a stomach sleeper ;) BUT it does help to bring down inflammation immensely. Overall I have LOVED the switch from regular raw to Manuka honey and for me it's worth the extra few dollars!!

I use Wedderspoon 100% Raw Organic Manuka Honey UMF 16+, bought for about 33$ at a local health food store.

As a mask Manuka honey is great, although my skin can sometimes become sort of irritated/red/hot if I leave it on for too long or if hair or something accidentally gets on my face while it's on.

I use it as a spot treatment and prefer that use rather than as a mask. Left overnight, I do find that it reduces swelling. I put it on open wound type pimples that I've picked at or popped and it helps with the scabbing and healing process. Reduces inflammation for sure and makes it hurt less to the touch in the morning.

I think it brightens my complexion as well after using it as a mask, I generally found that any other honey was simply not as effective for topical use. Manuka honey is the way to go.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I highly recommend using a raw, organic Manuka honey with a UMF level of 10-16. Apply as a masque after steaming pores open first, as honey works best in conjunction with moisture. Also try using with a touch of oil, such as jojoba or grapeseed.

As most honey comes in a jar, be very careful not to contaminate it, and use a clean spoon each time. No double dipping!

If your skin reacts badly and you aren’t allergic to honey, it could be that the UMF level of the honey you are using is too strong for your skin, and you may need to either dilute it or use a honey with a lower UMF level.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is more first aid than beauty, but mananuka helped me keep a fingertip, so that's pretty beautiful. I hurt my hand, specifically the side of my ring finger. Squeamish, stop here and skip to next p. Avulsion (big flap of skin), lost half a fingernail, deep, deep cut.

I didn't get great care in the rural ER, but immediately started doing wet wound care and kept it covered with honey under a nonstick bandaid. It took two months to heal, but I didn't lose the part that had been lifted up. It reattached and sensation is back. The scar is not terrible. I had been so worried that part of my finger would be lost, but I think keeping the honey on it encouraged reconnection in a way that it wouldn't have with a dry scab. Please see a doctor if you are hurt, and follow their recommendations, but if you have access to real wound honey, it seems like an amazing healing agent.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

About half a year ago, I tried using almond oil as a moisturizer, which turned out to be a nightmare. My combination skin became full fledged oily. Even the sides of my cheeks, which were dry, became oily. My forehead erupted in painful, swollen cystic pimples which never seems to end. Out of desperation, I bought a jar of manuka honey umf5. I applied it as a mask for the first week or so. The oiliness was reduced very significantly , especially on my cheeks.

The second week, I applied like a moisturizer. I misted my face with water, then used a smidgen (just a smidgen!), and rubbed it all over my face. Yes,it will dry with a little bit of stickiness. If your hair sticks to your face, that's too much. It helped to reduce the number of new pimples I get, and they also deflate and form heads much faster. I live in a humid country, so I guess I dont have the issue of the honey sucking water from my skin instead of from the environment.

I'm still trying ways to stop my forehead from mimicking an active volcano, but manuka honey does help with it, though it doesn't completely solve my problem. I will try mixing oatmeal in next, hopefully it gives better results.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I'm never going back to regular cleansers!! I have acne-prone skin,mostly in the T-zone along with some scarring on my cheeks and this Manuka Honey has been like an angel helping me with these issues. It has SIGNIFICANTLY improved the acne and white-heads on my face along with improving the scars. All I do is wet my face a little and then apply a layer of this honey on my face for however long I feel like because not only does it cleans your face, but it also moisturizes! This stuff also washes off soo easy (I don't know how but it does) and basically it's the most amazing product in the world. If you're still not convinced to try it, try looking at review videos on youtube and I'm sure you'll be convinced too!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Ok. Let me tell you my experience with this stuff. I own horses and a few years ago I had a horse that suffered an absolutely horrific external injury to the back leg. No flesh was left afterwards. It was pretty much deaths door for the poor baby. Our vet told us at that point there was very little we could do, but he gave us a jar of manuka honey as one last hope. We covered this horses leg in it as bandaged it. Three says later. A layer of flesh has grown back. Nine months later he was walking and running around as f it had never happened. It also reduced the scarring majorly! Manuka honey saved that horses life. And now I'm just amazed with it's healing power. I have very acne prone oily skin so I use this everyday as a face mask. I generally leave it on for an hour to three hours a night. It washes off very easily with water and clears my skin so dam fast it's brilliant. I don't use any other face washes anymore except to remove my makeup. This completely eliminates the need for exfoliators, washes, treatments etc. And this is coming from the girl who has pretty much had shitty skin for six years and tried everything including proactive. I also live in nz so it doesn't cost too much. 17 dollars for a jar of 10+. It obviously won't work for everyone but if you have scarring and uneven skin, bad texture and redness this will help so much.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have dry, sensitive, very acne prone skin and purchaed a jar of 10+ Manuka honey to use as a cleanser, mask and spot treatment. After patch testing, I used the honey as a cleanser and spot treatment for 3 days, my skin just seemed to become far more inflamed and irritated. The acne I had was red and even more sore than before and new blemishes and red patches of skin were popping up everywhere! The only plus side was that my skin was a little more hydrated, but overall I am so dissapointed with the results, especially as it was very expensive. UPDATE: This stuff caused me some of the worst eczema I have ever experienced, if your skin is even the least bit sensitive please patch test first!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products