manuka honey

4.5

on 7/22/2015 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I'm never going back to regular cleansers!! I have acne-prone skin,mostly in the T-zone along with some scarring on my cheeks and this Manuka Honey has been like an angel helping me with these issues. It has SIGNIFICANTLY improved the acne and white-heads on my face along with improving the scars. All I do is wet my face a little and then apply a layer of this honey on my face for however long I feel like because not only does it cleans your face, but it also moisturizes! This stuff also washes off soo easy (I don't know how but it does) and basically it's the most amazing product in the world. If you're still not convinced to try it, try looking at review videos on youtube and I'm sure you'll be convinced too!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Ok. Let me tell you my experience with this stuff. I own horses and a few years ago I had a horse that suffered an absolutely horrific external injury to the back leg. No flesh was left afterwards. It was pretty much deaths door for the poor baby. Our vet told us at that point there was very little we could do, but he gave us a jar of manuka honey as one last hope. We covered this horses leg in it as bandaged it. Three says later. A layer of flesh has grown back. Nine months later he was walking and running around as f it had never happened. It also reduced the scarring majorly! Manuka honey saved that horses life. And now I'm just amazed with it's healing power. I have very acne prone oily skin so I use this everyday as a face mask. I generally leave it on for an hour to three hours a night. It washes off very easily with water and clears my skin so dam fast it's brilliant. I don't use any other face washes anymore except to remove my makeup. This completely eliminates the need for exfoliators, washes, treatments etc. And this is coming from the girl who has pretty much had shitty skin for six years and tried everything including proactive. I also live in nz so it doesn't cost too much. 17 dollars for a jar of 10+. It obviously won't work for everyone but if you have scarring and uneven skin, bad texture and redness this will help so much.

on 3/8/2015 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have dry, sensitive, very acne prone skin and purchaed a jar of 10+ Manuka honey to use as a cleanser, mask and spot treatment. After patch testing, I used the honey as a cleanser and spot treatment for 3 days, my skin just seemed to become far more inflamed and irritated. The acne I had was red and even more sore than before and new blemishes and red patches of skin were popping up everywhere! The only plus side was that my skin was a little more hydrated, but overall I am so dissapointed with the results, especially as it was very expensive. UPDATE: This stuff caused me some of the worst eczema I have ever experienced, if your skin is even the least bit sensitive please patch test first!

on 3/1/2015 7:22:00 PM

Nice as face mask several times a week, or even as a face wash. There are a million and one things that you can use it for, making it a great beauty/personal care staple to have on hand.

PROS
Calms skin: My face feels smoother and less irritated after leaving it on for an hour
Acts as a natural anti-bacterial without irritation or drying the skin out
Multi-purpose: Good for blemishes, cuts, eczema, sore throat, etc.
Amazing as an alternative, natural acne treatment if you're pregnant or thinking of starting of starting a family (products containing Retin-A can cause birth defects). Pro tip: Cover a pesky blemish with a breathable bandaid or surgical tape and leave on overnight to maximize benefits.

CONS

It doesn't cure acne overnight--if anything, it brings those nasty 'underground' comedone plugs to a head (which helps speed up the healing process)
Sticky! Especially when my cat walks up and decides to give me a kiss on the face :)

I use Wedderspon Manuka 12 UMF, but next time I would probably go for at least 16 UMF.

Shop around because the price varies. I'm addicted to Whole Foods but wouldn't repurchase there because I've found Wedderspon for less elsewhere. Overall, it's excellent value when you consider how much you get compared to what you'd pay for a chemically-based, less effective product at Sephora. Will definitely continue to repurchase.

on 2/4/2015 9:39:00 PM

HG. I even quit using Cerave wash except once every other day or to remove makeup.
Manuka is amazing on all levels. Hydrating, soothes acne, all natural- try it! You'll never look back!:)!

on 12/11/2014 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have never bothered to write reviews for anything but after trying Manuka honey, I had to. I've been using the wedderspoon Manuka honey 12+ active and it's worked wonders!

I was using proactiv for 10 years. Although it is a harsh product, it kept my skin clear (my skin is not at all sensitive and needs strong products to maintain it) but after they changed their line to a more 'mild formula', I started breaking out in horrible cystic acne. I tried tea tree oil, different cleansers, lemon juice, vitamin e oil, changing my diet, and the olay microdermabrasion to clear the acne and the subsequent hyperpigmentation but nothing was working well.

I finally researched Manuka honey and went to buy a jar at whole foods. It's expensive, 30$ for a plastic jar, but it was very worth it. I've only been using it for two weeks but the hyper pigmentation is finally starting to fade, my skin tone is starting to even out, my oiliness has reduced dramatically, and there has been no more break outs. My pores are not as clogged anymore resulting in a lot less whiteheads and my skin is returning back to its good old clear days.

I use the honey as a mask for an hour every night after washing my face with my Murad aha/bha cleanser. The mask does get a little messy because the warmth of your skin melts the honey if applied too thickly. Overall, I would definitely recommend giving this product a try especially if you feel like you've hit rock bottom with your skin. It really worked for me.

on 12/7/2014 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the 'base mask' that I add my honey to:

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

It is as simple as that. Although simple and basic as it is, this humble mask will instantly brighten, whiten and reduce redness on your skin. It soothes any irritation and leaves your skin feeling so smooth after.

How I customise my mask to cater to my skin's needs:

1. Honey

Great for : it's moisturising, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant abilities

Honey has a great moisturising ability and can significantly prolong the time the mask stays moist. The longer the mask stays moist on the skin, the more your skin absorbs.

It is also anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Honey also has anti-oxidants in it. It is said that the darker the honey, the better the anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties of the honey. It is no surprise that Manuka Honey is the darkest of them all. In my picture I used Manuka honey, but I found that the more affordable honey works just as well on the skin.

Directions: add half a teaspoon of honey to base mixture

To read on about how oatmeal, yogurt helps your skin, or how I customise my masks with tumeric, coffee or lemon read:

on 11/30/2014 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been struggling with acne for about 3 years & I've tried everything for my face. I have oily acne-prone skin & I have hyperpigmentation. I did a lot of research and discovered Manuka Honey. I've only been using it for a couple days mixing it with lemon juice & Leaving it on my face for 2 hours & It has balanced my skin out well it's not as oily or red as before but it takes patience for scars to disappear. It's a little expensive but it's worth it for organic products.

on 11/12/2014 7:38:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have very fair acneic skin, which is a fantastic combo because any pimple and any redness is very noticeable -_-

I have been using retin a for my skin for almost 3 months now, and it has remarkable cleared much of my skin. Unfortunately, a down side to retin a is very red, sensitive skin. Dry skin as well, but oddly enough i got very oil skin from it.

I use a manuka honey mask on my face every night and wash off after 1-2 hours. no need to use cleanser after, it's a natural antibacterial in and of itself.

I have been using it for almost a week now and wow wow wow. I've noticed it's helped bring up some gunk ( 3-4 zits, purge i guess), but it's completely evened out my skin tone by getting rid of the redness which is a godsend when on retin a. Lastly, I have never felt my skin this supple and moisturized in a long time, it's definitely less oily than usual. If you have dry skin this is help no doubt.

How can you deny an all natural mask with top results? Give it a go!!

UPDATE** Didn't help my acne much in the end, wasn't strong enough to do the job. HOWEVER, it was incredible as a spot treatment for infected spots. Manuka honey has been proven to kill staph and MRSA.

on 10/23/2014 9:13:00 AM

My preferred brand of manuka honey is the Wedderspoon brand, which is supposed to have more beneficial elements for the skin. I cannot speak to the long-term acne benefits of this product, but I do find that when I use this (occasionally), it helps bring minor acne under control. I also have a problem with dryness after using so many retinol products and this does a very good job of restoring my skin's moisture without leaving a greasy residue. This is a good weekly mask.

Popular Treatments (Face)