manuka honey

4.6

on 3/1/2015 7:22:00 PM

Nice as face mask several times a week, or even as a face wash. There are a million and one things that you can use it for, making it a great beauty/personal care staple to have on hand.

PROS
Calms skin: My face feels smoother and less irritated after leaving it on for an hour
Acts as a natural anti-bacterial without irritation or drying the skin out
Multi-purpose: Good for blemishes, cuts, eczema, sore throat, etc.
Amazing as an alternative, natural acne treatment if you're pregnant or thinking of starting of starting a family (products containing Retin-A can cause birth defects). Pro tip: Cover a pesky blemish with a breathable bandaid or surgical tape and leave on overnight to maximize benefits.

CONS

It doesn't cure acne overnight--if anything, it brings those nasty 'underground' comedone plugs to a head (which helps speed up the healing process)
Sticky! Especially when my cat walks up and decides to give me a kiss on the face :)

I use Wedderspon Manuka 12 UMF, but next time I would probably go for at least 16 UMF.

Shop around because the price varies. I'm addicted to Whole Foods but wouldn't repurchase there because I've found Wedderspon for less elsewhere. Overall, it's excellent value when you consider how much you get compared to what you'd pay for a chemically-based, less effective product at Sephora. Will definitely continue to repurchase.

on 2/4/2015 9:39:00 PM

HG. I even quit using Cerave wash except once every other day or to remove makeup.
Manuka is amazing on all levels. Hydrating, soothes acne, all natural- try it! You'll never look back!:)!

on 12/11/2014 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have never bothered to write reviews for anything but after trying Manuka honey, I had to. I've been using the wedderspoon Manuka honey 12+ active and it's worked wonders!

I was using proactiv for 10 years. Although it is a harsh product, it kept my skin clear (my skin is not at all sensitive and needs strong products to maintain it) but after they changed their line to a more 'mild formula', I started breaking out in horrible cystic acne. I tried tea tree oil, different cleansers, lemon juice, vitamin e oil, changing my diet, and the olay microdermabrasion to clear the acne and the subsequent hyperpigmentation but nothing was working well.

I finally researched Manuka honey and went to buy a jar at whole foods. It's expensive, 30$ for a plastic jar, but it was very worth it. I've only been using it for two weeks but the hyper pigmentation is finally starting to fade, my skin tone is starting to even out, my oiliness has reduced dramatically, and there has been no more break outs. My pores are not as clogged anymore resulting in a lot less whiteheads and my skin is returning back to its good old clear days.

I use the honey as a mask for an hour every night after washing my face with my Murad aha/bha cleanser. The mask does get a little messy because the warmth of your skin melts the honey if applied too thickly. Overall, I would definitely recommend giving this product a try especially if you feel like you've hit rock bottom with your skin. It really worked for me.

on 12/7/2014 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the 'base mask' that I add my honey to:

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

It is as simple as that. Although simple and basic as it is, this humble mask will instantly brighten, whiten and reduce redness on your skin. It soothes any irritation and leaves your skin feeling so smooth after.

How I customise my mask to cater to my skin's needs:

1. Honey

Great for : it's moisturising, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant abilities

Honey has a great moisturising ability and can significantly prolong the time the mask stays moist. The longer the mask stays moist on the skin, the more your skin absorbs.

It is also anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Honey also has anti-oxidants in it. It is said that the darker the honey, the better the anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties of the honey. It is no surprise that Manuka Honey is the darkest of them all. In my picture I used Manuka honey, but I found that the more affordable honey works just as well on the skin.

Directions: add half a teaspoon of honey to base mixture

To read on about how oatmeal, yogurt helps your skin, or how I customise my masks with tumeric, coffee or lemon read:

on 11/30/2014 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been struggling with acne for about 3 years & I've tried everything for my face. I have oily acne-prone skin & I have hyperpigmentation. I did a lot of research and discovered Manuka Honey. I've only been using it for a couple days mixing it with lemon juice & Leaving it on my face for 2 hours & It has balanced my skin out well it's not as oily or red as before but it takes patience for scars to disappear. It's a little expensive but it's worth it for organic products.

on 11/12/2014 7:38:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have very fair acneic skin, which is a fantastic combo because any pimple and any redness is very noticeable -_-

I have been using retin a for my skin for almost 3 months now, and it has remarkable cleared much of my skin. Unfortunately, a down side to retin a is very red, sensitive skin. Dry skin as well, but oddly enough i got very oil skin from it.

I use a manuka honey mask on my face every night and wash off after 1-2 hours. no need to use cleanser after, it's a natural antibacterial in and of itself.

I have been using it for almost a week now and wow wow wow. I've noticed it's helped bring up some gunk ( 3-4 zits, purge i guess), but it's completely evened out my skin tone by getting rid of the redness which is a godsend when on retin a. Lastly, I have never felt my skin this supple and moisturized in a long time, it's definitely less oily than usual. If you have dry skin this is help no doubt.

How can you deny an all natural mask with top results? Give it a go!!

on 10/23/2014 9:13:00 AM

My preferred brand of manuka honey is the Wedderspoon brand, which is supposed to have more beneficial elements for the skin. I cannot speak to the long-term acne benefits of this product, but I do find that when I use this (occasionally), it helps bring minor acne under control. I also have a problem with dryness after using so many retinol products and this does a very good job of restoring my skin's moisture without leaving a greasy residue. This is a good weekly mask.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Bought this a couple weeks ago hoping to use it as a spot treatment and to help get the uncomfortably dry and flaky skin on my elbows in check. After using it for a week, I'm pretty unimpressed with its healing powers. Even though I made sure to buy honey with a UMF level over 10+ (the one I got has 16+), it works no better or no worse than a jar of raw local honey might. It's been somewhat helpful with the skin on my elbows (I mix it with some coconut oil to mitigate the stickiness and then wrap it in an old sock), but does nada to the two blind zits I've applied it to. I'm not the type of person who expects overnight results, but even after 4 days neither zit has come to a head, and are just as red and swollen as they'd have been if I had left them alone. If anything they've gotten larger and redder since I started with the honey, though I don't think the honey is to blame for that. I don't think it's made them worse, I just don't think it's done anything to diminish the zits or at even speed along their life cycle.

I don't have enough acne to guess how much this honey might be helpful at preventing spots or healing old scars, but at least as a spot treatment, it's a real dud.

on 7/17/2014 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Manuka honey has made a dramatic difference in my skin!

I used ot suffer from acne prone and dry skin- ever since using manuka honey as a face wash every morning I have notice that my skin has improved. If I do break out with 1-2 pimples on my face it quickly shrinks by the continuation of honey wash everyday.

Be patient and start by using it every morning and see how you go. At night time I just a use a facial scrub to clean and remove make up or dirt etc.

Definitely reccomend HONEY it is the best thing I have ever used on my face- never going back to anything esle.

My skin is glowing, pores are shrinking and it seems my wrinkles are slowlying become more fine and less visible.

WORTH IT!

on 6/22/2014 1:22:00 PM

I have been suffering from perioral dermatitis now for almost 2 years. I took antibiotics which temporarily cleared it up but when I stopped it came back worse.

Manuka honey has really cleared it up, up to 98% gone. Plus it has made my skin unbelievably soft, even and radiant.

I put a layer of manuka honey on my face, let it sit for 10-30 minutes then wash it off, tone with ACV diluted in water, soak any problem areas in pure ACV, then apply coconut oil as a moisturizer and I dab pure manuka on any troubled areas and it helps to heal them.

I bought the UMF 25+

I hope this helps someone. Manuka honey seems to have cleared my complexion much better than retin-a ever did.

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice
Nerium AD

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products