October 31, 2014 | 854 users online

Shampoo - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Millie43

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have naturally platinum blonde hair and this shampoo keeps it at its lightest! My hair is fine and the shampoo doesn't weigh it down. Overall it is a good product.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2014 5:32:00 AM More reviews by amy101985

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

So far I've used three bottles of this shampoo but it wasn't until I switched to herbal essences Bee Strong that I realised that it was this shampoo which made my hair damaged. I have naturally blonde hair which has turned darker over the years. It's fairly thick but I think it is prone to breakage anyway and so perhaps I just need a more nourishing shampoo than this one. If your hair is very strong it may be able to cope with this shampoo. I heard about this shampoo through my friend who uses this on her bleached hair and said it keeps her colour vibrant. I thought perhaps this one would be better for lightening my hair.

I purchased this alongside the conditioner and lightening spray. Taking the lightening spray out of the equation, I don't personally think the shampoo makes THAT much of a drastic difference to my hair colour, but I haven't used it on it's own to know if it really lightens it that much. However, although so many people have said that it doesn't make their hair dry, I did notice that my hair was breaking a lot and I hadn't previously read any reviews of this product so I knew this wasn't a perception thing. I definitely noticed that my hair was splitting more and that I needed a trim more often.

And more to the point, I haven't used this shampoo for a very long time and my hair is very healthy. But I tried it again last night to test it and it felt very dry when wet and hard to blow dry so yes, it is this shampoo which is damaging. I don't know what to do with the two bottles that I have left...

My hair is soft when it is dry but it is horrific to brush it when it is wet after using this shampoo and conditioner. I also don't really feel like the conditioner nourishes my hair but rather prevents it from being an absolute mess which it would be if I just used the shampoo alone. HOWEVER, the lightening spray is so so so good and I do swear by it for lighter hair! I just use this now with a different shampoo and my hair is soooo much better! I only use it once a week though just to be careful...

So far I don't think the lightening effect of this shampoo is worth the damage that it does to my hair and it is quite expensive as well? But other people have said it's fine so maybe try it and see what you think.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by blackhamable

I love this shampoo! My hair is naturally brown, but it became lighter after moving to Hawaii. Since then, i have been using this shampoo mixed with another to keep my hair light! i LOVE it so much! I have no idea why it gets so much hate. It's a fabulous product.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2014 6:47:00 AM More reviews by babym2805x

I bought this product last summer because I've always been a light brunette/dark blonde with light blonde highlights in my hair, and I wanted to see if I could get them any lighter. This product really does work in my hair, and it's great because it contains no peroxide! I've repurchased this product several times since then, and even using it over the winter kept my highlights blonde too. I didn't find it drying at all, even when I occasionally use it without conditioning afterwards. It smells really good too. I would really reccommend this product to anyone with natural highlights.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2014 9:26:00 AM More reviews by baby_grazi_x05

I've got no beef with this product. I don't notice it drying out my hair at all, and it keeps my roots from looking too terribly apparent. It might work better if I used it everyday, but I switch up shampoo on an almost daily basis. My hair feels clean, volumized, and healthy. Plus, it smells great!! Not fruity, and not manly. Just...nice. I don't know what people have against this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by arisibelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

Bought this at Wal-mart for $6 after my sulfate free shampoo ran out. It's about $30 cheaper than my regular shampoo and my recent blonde dye job was beginning to fade, so I decided to give this shampoo a shot. I've been using it daily for roughly two weeks now. I have actually noticed a difference in my treated hair, though I have noticed no difference in my untreated roots. This makes my hair notably brighter and more vibrant. It has sucked the life out of my more copper undertones, but I'm okay with that. It sort of makes my hair a light, almost lemonish blonde. I've noticed a distinct gold sheen recently. I'm going to finish this bottle and probably repurchase. This product seems to only work if used daily, which is unfortunate considering the heavy sulfate in it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/4/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by kateeohh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have naturally blonde hair. I bought this product because I noticed my hair becoming darker and more dirty blonde. I hoped this product would lighten my roots. After using the product for some time, I didn't notice any change in my hair color. I also think that for the price, there should be more product in the bottles. Personally, I wouldn't buy this product again because it did not do what I thought it would for my hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2013 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Kerrybear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This shampoo was absolutely horrible for me. It dried out my chemically treated hair (routine professional partial highlights) and caused my skin to breakout on my back, neck, and upper arms. I tried this shampoo for a few weeks and after I stopped using it, the pimples disappeared.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2013 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Ayla

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I initially like the shampoo and conditioner but after using it for a while at my last hair cut my stylist commented that my hair was a bit damaged .. Other than my normal coloring with a high lift blonde and regular trims nothing has changed so I'm fairly sure the products did the damage.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by AuroraSom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I bleached my hair, from practically black. My hair was very dark and people even thought I colored it black but it's just naturally very dark probably due to me being Latina and Asian. My hair color now is a light/medium blond and well I had to bleach it about two times to get it this color but I want it to be quite lighter, like when Kat Graham had her blond hair.

Now I've heard that this product had hydrogen peroxide but I've read it and it says it doesn't. I'm thinking they may have changed the formula. Now, if this product had hydrogen peroxide I think it would show better results to girls who are naturally blond and haven't colored it. The reason I say this is that when you process your hair, you open up the hair follicle or cuticle(not sure which is the right term) to either add in color or take it out. I've heard processed hair tends to open up(the cuticle/follicle does) and so I think that the lemon juice and chamomile in this product can actually get in the hair and cause it to lighten. This shampoo is in fact drying. Lemon juice is an acid and it can strip your hair of it's natural oil. The thing I do that really helps is to apply my conditioner on my damp hair and then rinse it out with COLD water to sort of close up the cuticle and keep that moisture in and it's been working so far, no dryness at all.
As for it actually lightening my hair, I have noticed about half a shade difference but I've only been using it for a week. The bottom of my hair it like a very light brown maybe even dirty blond and I noticed it's turning orange which is just a stage of lightening. If the lightening does continue then the orange tone will lighten up to a yellow tone.

I will continue to use this product and see how it goes