John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo

3.5

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Lactic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract (Lemon), Curcuma Longa Root Extract (Turmeric), Crocus Sativus Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract (Sunflower), Vitis Vinifera Juice Extract (Grape), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Glycerin, Benzyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycine, Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate, Malic Acid, Tocopherol, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Yellow 10

on 3/18/2015 11:45:00 AM

I have dark blonde hair and I began to see results with this shampoo after about a week of daily use. My natural highlights looked shinier and brighter. However, this made my hair fall out much more than usual! It became extremely dry, not bouncy, kind of rough and hay-like. I had to stop using it after a few weeks and went back to more moisturizing, less harsh shampoos. The hair loss stopped as soon as I switched back.

on 3/13/2015 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this shampoo a while back when I was previously trying to enhance my blondliness. Ironically enough, I'm attempting to go back to blonde (will I ever learn?) and of course now I'm buying all the hair care products geared towards my goal.
This shampoo did smell nice to me and got a great lather. I don't recall if it's sulfate free or not but it is very drying. Which is understandable, i.e. nature of the beast.
But it got to the point that I was using it daily for maximum efforts and my hair was just turning to straw, on top of the bi weekly highlighting I was doing to get lighter.

Fast forward to present and I'm thinking of opting for something more for babying my hair and repairing it than further ruining it. lol.

Oh and it did work, once I was using it on a daily, but I think it made my blonde lean towards brassy.
It's not expensive and you can find it anywhere so I say give it a shot.

on 2/24/2015 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this product because I wanted to get rid of the red tones in my hair. I recently bleached my black hair, and died it red and now that the red is fading I'm left with copper hair, with bright red roots. I would really like to get the red out, so that my hair is the light ginger color that is was before I died it red.
So I seen this shampoo at walmart when I was looking for a heat protector.
What intrigued me was the "lightening" part that this shampoo claims to do.
So I bought it, I didn't bother getting the conditioner because I always use the Macadamia oil conditioner by OGX.
The first time I used the shampoo I fell in love with the way it lathered, and how amazing it smelled. It smells a lot like lemon meringue pie.
I didn't notice a change right away, but the second time I used it I noticed that a lot of my red hair, especially in the ends, is now a light orange.
I don't understand why it says to use it daily, because it is super drying and my hair is already dry enough since it is winter and -40 outside. But I will definitely be using this every time I wash my hair (every three days) until my hair is the color that I want.

I highly recommend using a good conditioner and a deep conditioning treatment every time you use this shampoo, or your hair will feel like straw and be more prone to breakage.

on 11/29/2014 7:08:00 PM

I've really come to like this shampoo and conditioner! I've got naturally dark blonde hair, and this brings out the highlights. I like to have that shimmery sunny summer hair, especially now that it's winter and I'm not out in the sun. Love the color and scent of the product too! I also use the spray which gives you more lightening. i don't color my hair, so this gives me just a hint of brightening without having to subject myself to frequent coloring sessions!

on 11/17/2014 4:05:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I love this- i have never colored my hair and I'm a natural brunette with subtle natural red undertones. One wash with this stuff and i could notice that it really brought out my natural highlights i had from the summer sun- and made them look as blonde as possible.

Its not going to deposit color in your hair.

You will not go from brunette to blonde in one use, or at all, really

on 11/9/2014 10:29:00 AM

My hair is naturally dark blonde, but receantly I've noticed that it is getting darker escpecially on the roots. So I decided to lighten up my hair a little bit and I bought Go Blonder. After 5 uses I definetely can tell the difference. I'm mixing this shampoo with my regular one.But I do noticed also that my hair is more damaged now, which is really sad cause I like the product. Despite that, its worth the try.

on 11/6/2014 3:37:00 AM

If you're buying this with the intention of lightening your hair, but are not willing to use this product every day than don't bother. It dries hair out, and my damaged, bleach locks definitely suffered from this shampoo, and the matching conditioner did not compensate for this.

on 7/21/2014 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have naturally platinum blonde hair and this shampoo keeps it at its lightest! My hair is fine and the shampoo doesn't weigh it down. Overall it is a good product.

on 6/16/2014 5:32:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So far I've used three bottles of this shampoo but it wasn't until I switched to herbal essences Bee Strong that I realised that it was this shampoo which made my hair damaged. I have naturally blonde hair which has turned darker over the years. It's fairly thick but I think it is prone to breakage anyway and so perhaps I just need a more nourishing shampoo than this one. If your hair is very strong it may be able to cope with this shampoo. I heard about this shampoo through my friend who uses this on her bleached hair and said it keeps her colour vibrant. I thought perhaps this one would be better for lightening my hair.

I purchased this alongside the conditioner and lightening spray. Taking the lightening spray out of the equation, I don't personally think the shampoo makes THAT much of a drastic difference to my hair colour, but I haven't used it on it's own to know if it really lightens it that much. However, although so many people have said that it doesn't make their hair dry, I did notice that my hair was breaking a lot and I hadn't previously read any reviews of this product so I knew this wasn't a perception thing. I definitely noticed that my hair was splitting more and that I needed a trim more often.

And more to the point, I haven't used this shampoo for a very long time and my hair is very healthy. But I tried it again last night to test it and it felt very dry when wet and hard to blow dry so yes, it is this shampoo which is damaging. I don't know what to do with the two bottles that I have left...

My hair is soft when it is dry but it is horrific to brush it when it is wet after using this shampoo and conditioner. I also don't really feel like the conditioner nourishes my hair but rather prevents it from being an absolute mess which it would be if I just used the shampoo alone. HOWEVER, the lightening spray is so so so good and I do swear by it for lighter hair! I just use this now with a different shampoo and my hair is soooo much better! I only use it once a week though just to be careful...

So far I don't think the lightening effect of this shampoo is worth the damage that it does to my hair and it is quite expensive as well? But other people have said it's fine so maybe try it and see what you think.

on 6/13/2014 5:06:00 PM

I love this shampoo! My hair is naturally brown, but it became lighter after moving to Hawaii. Since then, i have been using this shampoo mixed with another to keep my hair light! i LOVE it so much! I have no idea why it gets so much hate. It's a fabulous product.

Popular Shampoos