Illamasqua Nail Varnish in Phallic

4.8

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Propyl Acetate, Tosylamide- Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Triphenyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Stear- Alkonium Bentonite, Ethyl Tosylamide, Camphor, Diacetone Alcohol, Benzophenone-1, Citric Acid, Dimethicone. May Contain: [ /- CI 15850:1 (Red 7 Lake), CI 15850:2 (Red 6 Lake), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 15880 (Red 34 Lake), CI 77019 (Mica), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), CI 77000 (Aluminium Powder), Silica, CI 60725 (Violet 2), CI 75170 (Guanine)].

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

A very opaque, beautiful, warm almost-black dark blue satin with royal blue shimmer/nanoglitter that's only visible in direct light. In fact, it actually looks black in most lights. Fittingly for a typically feminine product with a masculine name, this is a unisex shade that would look just as "right" on a daring man as on a woman. It has a very unique finish - it's so pigmented that it actually seems matte despite the sparkles, even under topcoat. As such, it dries quickly - less than 10 minutes per thin coat. The only thing I don't like is the square cap - it was very fumbly to paint my nails with, but for this elegant, sophisticated, pleasingly androgynous color, I can get used to it.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I truly did not expect to love this color as much as I did, and I felt vague buyer's remorse upon purchasing it at Sephora. But now I'm feeling "buyer's remorse-remorse" as in, I feel bad I almost regretted this purchase! it's a gorgeous color, with a subtle shimmer that adds a lot of depth to a very dark blue. It is not mistakable for black, like some navy polishes, but is a great substitute for when black just feels too harsh. Black creme is my go-to nail polish, but Illamasqua Phallic feels almost as neutral but with much more interest.

The only critique I have is that I don't particularly care for the thinness of the plastic cap-- I wish it was a little heftier, a la Chanel or Nars.

The formula is rockin'-- was opaque in 2 coats, but I did three, just to see what happened. No bare spots. A little cuticle drag, but I blame that on my grip on the cap.

on 7/10/2011 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This polish...this freaking polish. Oh my god, it's beautiful.

Now bear in mind, I usually loathe blue polishes. It's my least favorite color on my nails. But this blue...oh my lord. It's deep and inky-a blackened blue. I would say it's a jelly-cream finish. And the best part? There are beautiful, electric-blue glitter particles that hide until you are under light-then they glimmer, and it truly does look like your nails are lit from within.

I haven't bought it yet, but you can be damn sure I will soon. I think $14 is WAY TOO MUCH for a nail polish, so I tested it at Sephora first, and I'm going on 3 days with no chipping whatsoever. And I'm not even wearing a topcoat. The formula is so smooth, it just glides on. It's like your nail pretty much paints itself.

I feel like I can't call this polish gorgeous enough times!!!!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Illamasqua polishes are the best you will ever get.. they glide on like a dream..& last chip-less for days!!

Phallic is the most gorgeous shimmery blue/black you will ever find..it will be one of my favourites forever.

on 10/12/2010 5:48:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The color is truly stunning. I adore the blue sparkles. Wish it read more blue indoors and less black, though. Coverage is fantastic. However, I got chips after 2 days with stickey and SV. Maybe try gelous BC next time. Won't repurchase b/c of chips and it's too dark indoors. But outside..... heaven!

on 5/6/2010 11:08:00 AM

I was first drawn to the name....indeed, however silly that may be, but as a nursing student going into gynecology, I just could not resist getting this polish! After seeing this on Scrangie's blog, I was in love, and ordered it.

I must say, I'm not disappointed! This is the most expensive polish I've purchased so far, but I'm in love. It's such a deep, vibrant blue that just glows and looks beautiful. The formula is also a big "turn-on," being incredibly smooth and easy to work with. No blue cuticles for me! And the bottle itself is a piece of art. I just love seeing this gorgeous gem of blue up with my other beauties.

Just FYI, Phallic is a great base for Sally Hansen's Hidden Treasure...it's a stunning combo.

on 1/6/2010 11:20:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Ah...I love Phallic! Gorgeous deep blue with a hint of shimmer that applies cleanly with two coats. Lasts about two days before I start getting tipwear.

Another top-class nail varnish from Illamasqua. It's a gorgeous midnight sky kind of colour. Unusual, but a real staple. Everyone compliments me when I wear this polish. It's an intense colour, too, so you don't need to apply four or five coats like some. Fabulous! Looks great on toes!

on 10/10/2009 10:27:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

My god, I love this polish. It's practically opaque in a single coat, and is a glorious deep navy with royal blue shimmer that makes it look as though it glows from within. It wears for a good long while without chipping. Lovelovelove. This is one of my most used bottles of polish!

on 8/18/2009 10:08:00 AM

These are the best varnishes I have EVER EVER used and considering my sister owns a nail salon, I should know!

The colours are rich and Phallic is my favourite, not just because of the suggestive name! ;)

The colour is sultry and catches the light beautifully - I always get comments on it.

I was on the subway last week and was wearing this on my toes and a man in his 60s actually asked me where I got it so he could buy it for his daughter, which was surreal and a bit disgusting as he was staring at my toes for the rest of the journey...!

Gorgeous deep blue and very unique in finish. I have heard whispers of a matt collection - I look forward to trying these as I own most the varnishes already! I am hoping for a sky blue next.

Popular Polishes