October 21, 2014 | 2051 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Make Up For Ever - UV Prime SPF50

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2014 9:01:00 AM More reviews by laquiche

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This product has very good sun protection and dries into a nice satin finish. Leaves a white cast but it's ok with makeup after.
Main problem is that this not a makeup primer, i mean it doesn't help with lasting power because it makes skin very oily in less than 1 hour.
I wouldn't repurchase this product and will try to finish it in the winter i think, because for summer this is too rich.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/17/2013 10:25:00 PM More reviews by wildcardinside

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This Primer has a fantastic UV protection, at an SPF50.

Pro's: High UV/sun protection, dries into a nice satin finish.

Con's: It applies opaque white, leaves a grey cast, makes oily skin 10 x oilier, does not asist in keeping makeup on longer, terrible as a primer, is expensive.

All in all, I have to say that as a primer this product is pretty terrible, at least for combination to oily skin. In fact, I am almost certain it has TURNED my actual skin type oilier. Because prior to using high SPF primers on my face, I had pretty normal skin with a SLIGHTLY oily nose tip. Make up literally lasts longer with NO primer, that's how bad this product is as a primer. (I honestly wouldn't even try it if you have "normal" skin because it may interfere with the lack of oil production and well, make your skin oily. For dry skin types, it may be great, offer a lot of moisture for your skin, but I would honestly save your money and do a bit more research. I am only continuing to use this primer because I need the sun protection and it cost way too much (Especially in AUD), to throw away or simply not use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 11:05:00 AM More reviews by mariaelena40

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this product if better for those with dry to normal skin. I little goes a long way otherwise it casts a whitish shadow and will take longer to dry. This is not like other silicone primes, but it does work beautifully under makeup with the added bonus of high SPF. I have sensitive skin and this in no way breaks me out in any way. Going on my 3rd bottle and well worth the $$.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 9:56:00 AM More reviews by angiee0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this stuff!!!

The only reason I gave it a four was because it smells funny at first upon application and it has no expiration date. It just says that it is good for 12 months. I just like it when sunscreens put expiration dates on them because then I know exactly when it is good until because I could buy one that has been sitting in the store awhile. I am just an SPF queen.

I love how it gives me a dewy finish and it makes my makeup last longer. I use a tinted moisturizer so maybe it makes that last better than a regular foundation? I don't know. All of my foundations and TM are long wearing so that may have something to do with it.

I said I would buy again but I think this is going to be a summer only product. I do not need PA+++ in the winter. I have other cheaper facial sunscreens for that. So I will probably buy one every summer

Update 4/30/12: I still love this stuff. It makes my matte makeup foundation look dewy, which i love. The only downfall that I've seen is I wish it had a pump. Actually this morning as I was sqeezing an amount out I accidentally squeezed too much out and ended up wasting some product. Wish it came with a pump!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/15/2012 6:40:00 PM More reviews by ecisabella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this primer hoping to condense 3 products (moisturizer, sunscreen and primer) into one. While it worked well as moisturizer and sunscreen on my dry skin, as a primer it was useless. It remained tacky 5 minutes after application, so foundation didn't float like it should. Then, any makeup evaporated after a couple of hours. Not what I had hoped at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2011 8:34:00 PM More reviews by J_cool

While browsing Sephora in search of a strong, waterproof facial sunscreen that would address skin oiliness and further refine the skin, I came across Make Up For Ever's latest contribution to the sun protection market: UV Prime SPF 50. Knowing how reputable a brand Make Up Forever is and how it's products have yielded impressive results in the past, I snatched up a tube of the stuff.

The consistency of the UV Primer is like a gel-cream, white in color, somewhat runny in texture and easy to spread due to it's emollient properties. After setting, the product leaves a slightly whitish cast and noticeable sparkle. Keep in mind, though, that it does NOT dry matte, but leaves a dewy, satin finish.

Regarding it's priming capabilities in terms of foundation application, I found that it offered some slip and that my makeup sat comfortably on top of it. It offered a hint of glow to my overall look, though it did nothing to make my larger pores less noticeable.

As for the 50 SPF, it's great. I live in a dry climate with searing temperatures, and UV Prime protected my face from the heat and rays, even while sweating. I just felt it. I honestly couldn't feel much of the sun's intense heat with the sunscreen on my face, which would mean that UV Prime is stable, heavy-duty sun protection.

I have rather sensitive skin and UV prime did nothing to irritate my skin, acne, or eyes. Sunscreens on the US market never fail to leave my eyes bloodshot and painfully itchy. This has not caused any reaction of the kind, regardless of how much I applied.

Though this is where the praise ends.

As mentioned earlier, this sunscreen is not matte. Within an hour of application, UV Prime gets greasier and greasier and eventually starts to slip.... and takes ALL of your makeup along with it! I tried powder on top and I tried it without moisturizer and I even tried it with an additional primer underneath (!!), and still, it failed to keep my makeup intact. It gets awfully shiny as well. By the end of the day, don't be surprised it your face is *sparkling* - literally. Funny as it may sound, the sparkling effect isn't flattering or funny to those like myself with larger pores, it just makes them 10x more apparent.

The packaging says that it increases skin's moisture by 100% at the four-hour mark, though it really should say that your skin will look as if petroleum jelly was smeared all over it. Why this product is considered a primer is beyond me, it clearly is more of a moisturizer than a primer.

It really boils down to UV Prime being an excellent sun protector and a horrible primer. With all the "time-released" emollients in this, I wonder what foundation would last? Exactly what foundation is made to compliment UV Prime? Is it developed for those with very dry skin? The idea of using it under your base and powders, especially if you're oily/combo, is, dare I say, "anti-makeup." And that's why I chose to rate this formulation very low.

UV Prime is not cheap, it is $30 for an ounce. There are quality SSs out there for 1/2 the price, try something from Japan. If oiliness is an issue, Japanese sunscreens are ideal, because they are developed to withstand humid, tropical climates. They are usually very mild and have a low alcohol content that helps to refine pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2011 1:59:00 PM More reviews by gionnetto2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this primer at the only MUFE store they have in Italy. My skin is dry and sensitive and I was in need of a sun block primer that could be used under my foundation since my foundation doesn't have a high enough SPF for the season.

UV Prime is easy to put on and surprisingly light in texture. It has no bad smell whatsoever and it doesn't taste funny if you accidentally put it on your lips like most sun block creams do (La Roche Posay, Avene, Vichy, Lancome).

So far I've used it with Photogenic Lumessence, Colorstay for Dry Skin and Avene Haute Protection foundations. None of them bled, came off, got too white (or dark) or oily.

Needless to say I would buy it again in a heartbeat :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Aeon1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

HG primer for those with combo skin. Don't wear a moisturizer under it or you'll get greasy, but the truly dry may still want to use an eye cream.

Use a chick pea size drop, dot in on forehead, cheeks, chin and spread thinly. It looks heavy and white because of the ti diox but will sink into skin. Let set for 3 minutes before applying foundie so the film-forming agents and silicones can bond to skin.

Truly helps airbrush pores and hasn't clogged or broken me out. Both conventional silicone-based foundie and mineral foundies like Jane Iredale smooth on beautifully after this. Due to the alumina in this formula, you get a nice glow.

And well they should, because this is just fearfully, fearfully expensive.

Very oily ladies may have to blot once during the day - but there's almost no avoiding that with most primers except the super-mattifying.

Deducted a lippie for price and 1 for packaging - I'd prefer it in a pump.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/3/2010 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Stasea

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I decided to sample this since I really love MakeupForever's HD liquid makeup. This idea of primer+sunscreen is long over due! I was using natural sunscreens for a long while, but they don't mix well at all with makeup, and definitely don't mix with Houston humidity, so I had to breakdown and start using chemical sunscreen. Anyway, I don't like this. The fragrance is way too strong for me! Also, when it sets, it leaves a sheeny/shiny finish and slightly pale cast, which I often encounter with my dark brown skin tone. Liquid makeup application wasn't too good either because it was too heavy. It looked better with powder only. I'll stick with my MAC Prep+Prime Spf50, which is my HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For me, this primer is absolutely brilliant. I don't usually wear primers because half of them are too heavy on silicones (notorious pore blockers), and the other half are too oily and thick. This one is neither. It blends wonderfully on my skin, w/o greasy, heavy feeling (wow! imagine that?). And the fdt goes on beautifully. Today, I have it under Dior's Icon Photo Perfect Cream-to-Powder foundation (enough silicones there! no need for more) and I couldn't be more pleased with the result: softly matter, but not dry and powdery. I barely dusted the T-zone with powder this morning, and at 5pm (right now where I live) it still looks good. I would certainly recommend this primer.