April 18, 2014 | 891 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - foundation in fairly light

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my shade when I wear bare minerals. Works well for fair gals, but not porcelain fair. I tend to apply with the kabuki brush for more coverage, and the concealer brush to any blemishes. Wears well over primers.

I love the newer jar style with the turn sifter. When I first starting using Bare minerals it was just sifter top. I had to use a cotton ball to prevent powder from sifting out.

Recommendation: use a natural hair brush for application. I use the Kabuki or the full brush from Bare minerals. Less is definitely more.

Not recommended for those with lots of fine lines or if you have a lot of unevenness to your skin.

Great mineral foundation if you want to try the mineral foundation kick.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Jch3110

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I absolutely love this, it 's my favourite foundation ever.

I should add that I've tried most of them in an attempt to find something to make my skin look nice. I have horrible skin with both dry and oily patches, so after a couple of hours my make up always flakes on the dry bits and has left me with shiny patches on the oily bits. Not a good look. I was reluctant to try this as I thought that a powdery mineral make up would just exacerbate the flakiness, but I was really surprised. This is so easy to apply and afterwards I just look like I have really nice skin. You can build up coverage slowly without it ever starting to look caked on, and it leaves my face feeling silky soft.

One taken off overall score because I don't think the range of colours is that great. I am really pale and first got the Fair shade but thought it left me looking a bit washed out. But then my mum got the starter set with 2 colours in and gave me the Fairly Light one as this didn't match her skin. I now use just the Fairly Light in summer and then mix it with the lighter colour in winter. This makes it the perfect colour for me.

Price - looks like it costs a lot for what you get. But honestly, it lasts for ever as you use so little at a time. Overall, works out as good value for money in my opinion.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Having tried a number of high end foundations (MAC Beauty Balm, MAC Studio Sculpt, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, MAC Mineralize Cream, MAC Studio Tech Cream, MUFE Mat Velvet, BE Original, MUFE HD, DiorSkin Extreme Wear, Bobbi Brown Skin liquid and cream compact), and drug store foundations (Meow Mineral, Revlon Colorstay, Revlon PhotoReady liquid and compact, Cover Girl Simply Ageless, LíOreal True Match liquid and cream compact, EDM, Alima Mineral), this foundation stands out in a positive way. I have worn it off and on for years. But it is not my HG.

I have combination skin, and don't like to have too many layers (moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, foundation) on my face, so I love it when my primer/foundation combinations accomplish these goals:
1) Sophisticated Formula: a light-weight formula that feels nice on my face and isnít cakey, oily, or highlighting dry patches;
2) Adjustable Coverage: a light-to-medium coverage foundation that can be built up enough to cover under eye circles and acne scarring (eliminates the need for concealer);
3) Low Maintenance: has enough oil-control for my T-zone, lasts throughout the day without the need for serious touch ups, and doesnít transfer;
4) Ideal Color: product line has a shade that is as close to a perfect color match on my skin as possible;
5) Skin Care: cannot break me out or change my skin condition (make more dry/oily) over weeks of continual wear.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: packaging cannot be difficult to travel with, create a mess on my counter, or be wasteful of the product.
*Bonus points for high levels of sunscreen.

How did this foundation measure up?
1) Sophisticated Formula: (YES) I love BE Original for its light-weight formula and the satin finish it gives, especially when applied with a silicone-based primer and/or MAC Fix+ spray on your brush. This is probably one of the lightest feeling foundations Iíve tried.
2) Adjustable Coverage: (YES) I also love how I can build the coverage up, especially when applied wet with MAC Fix+ spray, and donít need concealer for my under eye circles and acne scars.
3) Low Maintenance: (OK) Without a primer, this foundation did get oily around my T-Zone after about 6-8 hours. Did get cakey when I touched it up. With a primer, it got oily after 10+ hours. Therefore, I would not call this a long-wear foundation for those with combination or oily skin. But looked good for most of the day. Would need to wash face and reapply for an evening event.
4) Ideal Color: (NO) I wore Golden Light for a year, and tried Fairly Light. Similar matching issues as with MAC foundations, too pigmented in color and shades too dramatic to look natural. Golden Light looks very pale and slightly yellow on my skin, but Fairly Light is too NW15 peach/orange/pink/cheese colored for my neck. I would say Golden Light is the best match, but does not look natural. Fairly Light looked nice after I have had a spray tan.
5) Skin Care: (NO) Had out-of-the-ordinary cystic acne break outs from time to time while wearing this.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: (OK) Loose powder is just messy and undesirable, but at least they include a sifter with a lock.
*Sunscreen: spf15, which is not very much IMO, considering you are trying to go as light as possible with how much you apply.

Bottom Line: I really like the BE formula. Will keep a little bit of Fairly Light around for summer vacations for when I am tanner and want a natural look. But it is not my HG because it does not wear all day on my combination skin, does not have a good color match, and does break me out from time to time.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I loved this when I first got it, and the whole time I used it which was about two years. I would still be using it today if it did not suddenly make my face itch. I have a dry skin problem, lacking a natural moisture barrier. It's progressive so over time things I once tolerated I no longer can. I think I began to react to the bismuth in it.

I loved the shade which worked well on my very fair but olive toned skin. I loved the glowy, yet never oily, nor glittery, nor shiny, finish. The coverage was very good, nothing else thus far covers a few broken blood vessels nor a prominent vein near my eye, as well, same for melasma. Great value too, looks like a small amount perhaps but you use so little it lasts for ages. Speaking of which this lasted all day on my dry skin.

Even with my dry skin, as long as I moisturized well first then spritzed my face after, this worked well even as an under eye concealer. This made getting ready a breeze, and I miss using it. Alas, twas not meant to be a long term relationship. So sad to see it go. Only saying no to repurchase because this version anyway, still contains bismuth.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2011 1:08:00 PM More reviews by gracejones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The colour of this is OK. Light was too pale for me but the next one up, this one, fairly light is a little too dark.
I am not crazy about this for several reasons:
- can look mask like if you apply too liberally and want coverage for small marks and blemishes
- this broke me out, it gave me blemishes where I previously never have any

I do not recommend

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by FBenson

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Actually picked up a nice-sized sample from Sephora. I'm quite fair and maybe should have chosen the lightest shade but the salesperson recommended fairly light. I looked orange and the coverage was poor. When I added more, it was mask-like and emphasized my lines/wrinkles. I'm going to stick to my liquid foundation/pressed powder.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2011 11:23:00 AM More reviews by Moonjellie14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I hate foundations because they are so icky to put on. So I've been using a tinted moisturizer for the longest time.... Until I discovered BE's foundation. No patchiness, no stickiness and a beautifully even, dewy complexion. Although the coverage is medium at best, even with the handy buki brush, I'm sold and will continue using this product.

UPDATE: After using it for a while, i find that this foundation does not last and because its powder form, my skin started to feel a little dried out. since discovering Dior Nude, that is my new go-to foundation. Nowadays I will only use my BM foundation on spots that still needs some touch-up after application of my BB cream.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2011 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Denniska

I was looking for some good foundation for my combination skin (oily T zone and dry flaky cheeks) for quite a while now, and after no luck with liquid foundations, I decided to give minerals a try.
First I didn't like it that much because although it was perfect on the oily parts of my skin, I still had flaky dry cheeks. But then I came across Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant and it totally changed the way makeup looks on my skin, after using the microfoliant, I use my moisturiser and then this foundation and my skin is flawless and the makeup looks sooo natural... love the Dermalogica Microfoliant, buy it! :)
So now I have this foundation in MEDIUM and I bought the matte version in light as well and what I do every morning is I mix 2 parts of medium with one part light matte and this works wonders on my face, not too glowy, not too matte, just perfect. I'm amazed how much coverage it gives me, hides red cheeks instantly and using a small firm brush locally on blemishes, it makes them totally disappear. Btw I have the Well rested concealer as well and LOVE IT, would recommend to anybody.

Some people say this foundation doesn't provide enough cover, but it's because they use the wrong brush!! BEST BRUSH TO USE WITH THIS FOUNDATION is definetly the BIONIC FLAT TOP BUFFER BRUSH from Coastal Scents, it's sooo soft, literally like feathers on your skin, no hair fall out al all - and I washed it many many times already, and because it's flat, it helps to provide perfect coverage, you'll love it! You can buy it here, they deliver worldwide http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/2161_37/bionic-flat-top-buffer-brush.cfm
So I hope my review helped you, thank you Bare Escentuals, thak you Dermalogica Microfoliant and thank you Coastal Scents Bionic Flat Top Buffer brush for making my face look sooooo good :))))

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by turrific

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

at $25 a pop, this isn't exactly cheap. BUT it lasts forever (i can get anywhere from 4-5 months out of one jar) and it has made my skin amazing. the only complaint i have is with the newer packaging (the twist top) - it's hard to get the plastic off for first use, and sometimes mine gets stuck. it's a breeze for traveling, so i just put up with i!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2011 10:30:00 AM More reviews by pliegl

I've used this for several years now - it lasts FOREVER, works with my oily skin well, and works in a variety of ways. If you have slight skin discoloration you can use a smaller brush and cover it a little heavier and then go over it with the main face brush...you can put some in the inside corner of your eye to help lighten...sometimes I even put it under my eyes. It's even coverage is great...

I just purchased a new packaged one, so I am looking to see how it works. The biggest problem with the packaging in the past is that if it turns over or you travel with it, TONS of powder comes out and makes it difficult to apply in small amounts (which is all you need). The new packaging is said to help with this..will report back!