November 28, 2014 | 1236 users online

Makeup Brushes - Coastal Scents - Kabuki on a Stick

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have to say this is a pretty great brush. Although i tend to neglect this brush for some odd reason, every time i use it i think i should def use this more often.
~~~~~~~~~ PRICE & AVAILABILITY ~~~~~~~~
The Coastal Scents Kabuki on a Stick can be found only on the coastalscents website. Im sure there are other websites/manufacturers that make a similar brush though i havent seen it but i wasnt looking for it since I own this one. I purchased mine on Coastal Scents for around $6 which isnt bad. Not expensive esp for a face brush.
~~~~~~~~~ PERFORMANCE ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Kabuki on a Stick is a somewhat thicker short handled brush. The handle is a flat black and thick with no logo or labeling. (at least on mine it doesnt say anything) The ferrule is silver. The bristles themselves are natural hair and brown in tone. This brush is a very dense circular brush. At the very top is some slightly longer hairs which helps with its multipurpose uses. This brush is dense enough to apply thicker creams or liquids or blend out harsh lines. This also could be used to apply your makeup in a more heavy handed way or holding slightly further back for a lighter application. This brush is great for contouring or blending out contours and blushes. It can be used for mineral foundations as well. I have tried this for liquid foundation even though it is natural hair & not synthetic bristles & it worked pretty dang well. My favorite use is for blending out foundations and blush & bronzer. It buffs away any imperfections w/ ease. Its not scratchy or harsh. Its a really sturdy brush. It washes well and does take a little longer to dry being a natural hair brush. Be sure to be careful not to get water into ferrule of any brush for it may disturb the glues holding the brush together. Dry brushes at an angle downward to avoid this.
Overall, this is a great little brush to have. I dont know why i forget about it, maybe since i have too many brushes now but i do love reaching it for it when i have more time to spend perfecting my makeup. Its a great buffing and blending brush. Its dense & firm & soft. A great brush for foundation & blush & bronzer. I would repurchase if i ever needed to but its held up for a few years now and cannot be happier!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 5:37:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this brush. The bristle head is about the size of a half-dollar. The bristles are stiff but in my opinion, not too harsh. I like a slightly more abrasive kabuki so it can buff the product in more effectively. The brush is very inexpensive and good quality.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 More reviews by lalalalila

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is CS's dupe for the BareMinerals Handi-Buki. At first, I was really disappointed in this brush, but over time, it grew on me and I found an unconventional use for it. The reviews on Coastal Scents' website claimed that this brush was extremely soft, but I found it to be nowhere near that. It was hard and scratchy which made me not want to use it at first. But after a few washes, the scratchiness went away -- it's no longer abrasive, but is still on the hard side. When I first received it, it also had a distinctive animal-ish odor. But like the scratchy texture, this went away after the first few washes.

I've used this brush to apply and buff in mineral foundation and mineral veil, and it does a pretty decent job for those types of products. What surprised me is that this brush worked extremely well to apply my Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation (natural hair brushes usually aren't recommended for this). I hardly ever use liquid foundation, but when I do, this is the brush I reach for. It's small enough that I feel I have more control over how much product is distributed onto my face and helps to blend very evenly. I also like that the small size is perfect for throwing in your make-up bag for traveling and touch-ups.

I wouldn't buy this again because there are a lot of other brushes that could do a way better job. But for what I paid for it (~$6.95 2 years ago), it's decent.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by JasmineC

This brush is one of my go to brushes ! It is sooo soft and very dense . The handle is the perfect size . I use this brush for powder foundation . This brush is apparently a dupe for the MAC 109 brush (in the youtube world) .On the Coastal Scents website it states that it is comparable to the handy buki by Bare Essentials ( Bare Minerals) which i this it is . It is also said that this brush can be used for liquid foundation (also in youtube world) I have not tried it for that, I think it works well with my powder foundation. I actually like this better than my ELF kabuki face brush (studio line) . I fine the kabuki on a stick keeps it shape and the ELF kabuki face brush does not . I LOVE this brush and will use constantly till i get tired of it which will NEVER happen.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by utprincess

Great brush for contouring or applying blush. Too small (head) to apply mineral powder. I love how the handle is stiff and long enough for good application of powder blush/bronzer. Cheap and efficient product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 11:22:00 PM More reviews by brittanyhocake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite foundation brush ever! I use it for my loose mineral foundation (BareMinerals) and I love love love it! I'm sure I will buy again! It is similar to a Bare Escentuals brush that my mom uses - I don't know what it is - but she says she wants one!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2010 1:14:00 AM More reviews by Margaritka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this brush and use it often, as it allows very high precision application of powder foundations. I also tried this for contouring powder and blush, but its round shape does not make it the best countouring or blush brush.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2010 12:58:00 AM More reviews by violetcoffee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is not my fave CS brush, but it's decent. The bristles are sable and goat hair and a little bit rough - CS's synthetic brushes are much softer. Also, even though the website gives the dimensions of the brush, I thought it was much bigger. I was hoping to use this brush for bronzer and powder foundation, but I think it may be more suited for blush just because I prefer a larger brush for bronzer and foundation. Not the best, but certainly not the worst either.