Aveeno Nourish + Volumize

3.6

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started using this product (just the shampoo with another conditioner) about 6 months ago. I was a bit out off by the harsh chemical smell of the shampoo,but I liked how it lathered and the general results, as it did give my fine hair volume. However, my hair began to gradually come out with every wash, noticeably more than it had before I began using the product. I didn't notice a change at first, as I am only 16 (so my hair might still change its thickness) and I dance almost every day (so I regularly slick my hair back into a tight bun), both reasons for possible slight hair loss. A few months in to using the product, I began to receive comments from my friends that my hair was "thinner than it looked". My ponytails were also becoming thinner than usual. I stopped using the product a couple of months ago because I ran out of it, and I noticed an immediate reduction of hair loss in the shower and when I use a brush. All things considered, the volume provided by the shampoo doesn't compensate for the hair loss caused by it.

I have the saddest Asian hair ever - it is extremely thin, limp, and flat. As a result, every single shampoo I buy MUST have some sort of volumizing effect in addition to cleaning my hair. I've tried various drugstore-brand, volumizing shampoos and hated almost every single one of them. They either weighed down my hair or didn't lift at all or completely dried out my hair.

I picked up Aveeno's Nourish + Volumize shampoo on the whim - I really had no idea why I picked this up when I was shopping, maybe it was because the bottle said Nourish+Volumize and the price was extremely reasonable so I purchased it. (Unfortunately, price IS a factor for me as well because I am on a budget).

To my surprise, my hair ended up loving this shampoo! Aveeno advertised that this particular shampoo would nourish and volumize and IT DID BOTH wonderfully well without sacrificing one or the other. My hair felt soft and moisturized after each use (I was actually touching my hair more than necessary) and, best of all, it provided the much-needed volume but it was done so well that it made my hair look as though it was somewhat 'full' naturally (as though I didn't use anything). I just used a small amount of this stuff and it did its job wonderfully. I was pleasantly surprised with the results and very happy. It smells great as well (not overpowering at all).

I also love the minimalist design and packaging of this product - it looks super stylish with a neutral-coloured background and a touch of bright colour and the tall, narrow, 'tube'-like shape sits perfectly well in my bathtub and takes up little room (which is great because I have more than one bath product sitting on the edges of the bathtub). When I'm near the bottom of the bottle, I simply just turn it upside down (with the lid pressed shut - I love how the opening is just a matter of pressing it open and pressing it shut) instead of having to squeeze it out anymore. The shampoo slides out easily with this shape and type of opening and the material of the bottle is 'squeezable'.

For the record, though, I do NOT use this shampoo everyday (they advise against washing your hair everyday, particularly if you have fine, thin hair), which makes the effect infinitely more wonderful because it's like a treat for my hair when I do use it. The rest of the time, I use baby shampoo or a spray on my second/third day hair.

I would highly recommend this product if you're on a budget and looking for a drugstore-brand shampoo that both nourishes and volumizes your hair (just like Aveeno said they would). This shampoo has definitely made it to my top list of favourites. Just a final note, though: I wouldn't have wildly high expectations of comparing this to a high-end brand with a high-end volumizing shampoo because it DOESN'T give you "BOOM!" hair, but given what you pay for plus the quality you're getting it, it's extremely reasonable and actually meets expectations (I went from having 'dead' hair to having normal hair). As for the rest of the 'thickness' of my hair, after I'm done showering with this shampoo, I also use sprays, rollers, a hot dryer, etc. to create an even 'fuller' effect.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Smells good but it's nothing special. It has a runny consistency, lathers nicely. I didn't think it helped volumize my hair, if anything it made it appear frizzy. I just bought it wanting to try something different at the drugstore. I like that the packaging isn't bulky. I went thru two bottles, I wouldn't buy this again. It's just meh to me.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I love it and how it lives up to its expectations, go Aveeno! I love all of Aveenos prodcts they smell great and buttery. I was susprised how volumized my hair is after using it during my shower time last night

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

The formula feels a little thin, so sometimes it's hard to get a sense of whether you're using the right amount. I have thin, fine hair (especially on top of my head, near my part) and this was very effective at giving it a little lift, without making my hair feel dry/static-y.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a fantastic shampoo (and conditioner). I have fine, long, wavy hair and this made it feel so soft and moisturized. I love the way this makes my hair feel, very pampered.This drug-store brand delivers like a luxury high end product...and I don't even like Aveeno! To the reviewer 2 down from this review, you stated you have medium thick hair and this dried you hair. Ummm this is a volumizing shampoo so it's for fine thin hair, hello! I love Makeup Alley but I swear some of the reviews are from people who don't understand the products they buy and then have inaccurate expectations. Anyway, end rant.

it does all the things that it claims....makes my hair really soft and shiny with volume....but after using it for two weeks, both me and my friend (not acne prone) are starting to break out at the hair line around the forehead with little bumps. So cannot continue using it and won't be buying it again....

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ok so I'm pretty sure my mom got this on a really good sale so i don't feel to bad to say That this stuff is horrible!. I have medium thick hair and i used this and it made my hair so so dry and nothing has ever made it so dry not even a clarifying shampoo and my hair is oily so enough to say i am never using this again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This shampoo did volumize my hair, but it also made my hair very dry. My scalp became very dry, irritated, and itchy. I had to use Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner and leave it on for 10 minutes to try to undo the damage. My scalp still hurts a little.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am pleasantly surprised by this product. I have baby-fine, long wavy hair that doesn't have much body of its own. After using this shampoo, my hair is full, soft and HEALTHY-- that is the key word.

For the longest time I have been trying every reasonably-priced "volumizing" shampoo I could find, and although they would indeed give me volume, it would leave my hair dried out and frizzy. I thought that this was what they meant by volume... the frizz did give my roots some lift, and I thought that this was the best I could hope for. But after trying Aveeno, I see the light! My hair can indeed have volume and look healthy, shiny and moisturized.

A few cons-- this may not give you as much volume as you're hoping for. I am totally ok with that though because my hair looks so good. Also, the product is kind of runny and there isn't a whole lot in the bottle so try to resist using too much. A little goes a long way. It's also pretty expensive. I got mine for $7.99 at Rite Aid.