August 1, 2014 | 1014 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Tonytails: French Twister

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 1:19:00 AM More reviews by missmoffat

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

There are two sizes jn the MIA French Twister, small and large. It comes in three colors, dark brown, blond, and clear. The small size did not work for me as my hair is just past the shoulders and thick but the large size, which is designed for long/thick hair did. I also use two long U shape pins to secure. (1) Make a ponytail with your hands, (2) place the French Twister about half-way down (or up) the ponytail (it will feel loose) and at this point twist. The twister will create a roll but there will be the tail of the hair sticking out. (3) Push it in lengthwise along the roll and then take the stick and with your fingers "feel" for the two holes to put the stick through. You might need to do a bit of fiddling to position the roll. (4) For added security secure with long U shaped pins. Created an elegant French Roll, which stayed all day. About $8 in the US.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by glamourdoll

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I came across this at Ulta and I am glad to have found it. I have just-below-shoulder length very straight (read: unyielding) Asian hair. I usually just let it be on weekends, but when I go to work, I like to have it up and out of the way. I have tried to put my hair up with bobby pins, but they don't work with my hair texture. My hair is smooth and slippery, and when I pin it up with bobby pins, the bobby pins just end up being pushed out of my hair--and then my hair falls down. Enter this gadget called the French Twister (no, it's not a tornado in Paris LOL). It looks sort of like a bow and arrow. Basically, you wrap your hair around the "bow" part, which has one hole at each end. You roll your hair around the "bow" towards your head, in the usual French Twist technique. Then you insert the "pin" through the two holes. This little gadget allows me to put my hair up easily & comfortably. It gives me a polished, professional look in just seconds, and yet somehow----not uptight, overdone, or matronly. I think I will have to get another one for backup---i like it that much. It costs $8 at Ulta but despite that I am planning to repurchase.
UPDATE: 5/23/09. I ended up breaking it! This was my fault though. I had wanted to get a backup one anyway, so I went back to Ulta. I then discovered that there are two sizes: small and large. It turns out that the small size is a better fit for my hair. The small one is $7, the large one is $8. Available in brown or clear. The package says the larger one is for long/thick hair, the small one is for short/fine hair. I apparently had to try both. But I really do like this! UPDATE: July 3---one of the prongs came off of my backup twister, so now the elastic isn't held in place properly. It is too much trouble to thread the elastic in place and then, because the prong is gone, the elastic snaps off before I can get my hair threaded in there. I think for me it is just easier to put my hair up in a clip or ponytail. I won't be repurchasing this one.