November 28, 2014 | 1888 users online

Styling Products - The Body Shop - Cottonseed Curl Booster

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by daria33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Is this possibly discontinued? I went on their website to check the price, and I can't find it.

Anyway, I bought this maybe a year ago with a gift card, and I've been using on and off. I have hair that is somewhat wavy, and this creates an ok wave in my hair, nothing dramatic, but better than what my hair can do on its own. I put it in damp hair, then twist hair in two sections and let dry like that, maybe take a walk outside on a sunny day. Then separate the waves lightly, but no brushing at that point because brushing will straighten the hair out. It gives me some waves without crunch. Sometimes I use it without a rinse out conditioner before. It does have conditioning ingredients from what I can tell, but I'm no expert in cosmetic chemistry.

I still have more than half left, so I'm not going to be repurchasing soon, and it may have been discontinued, but I wouldn't mind buying something similar if I can find a conditioning cream like that with some hold but at a drugstore price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Dfurbert

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product ! It works amazing for my curls and it has a great smell. The packaging is also great it has a pump that twists off also just in case u can't pump the rest of the product out when it's all gone 👍👍

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 2:04:00 PM More reviews by itstotallybea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has been a god send for me. I have naturally very curly and quite frizzy hair that I find impossible to tame. 3-4 pumps of this through my hair after towel drying makes a huge difference. It smells pretty neutral and has a medium consistency. I would recommend this to anyone with wild curly hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Espiegle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have somewhat impossible hair because it's never really the same from day to day. I guess you could call it "supple" hair because I can straighten it easily, I can scrunch it into a lot of full bodied curls, or I can make it loose and wavy- but it doesn't like being played with- it needs to air dry in the perfect conditions, if I use a diffuser to speed it along, forget it- it looks really bad...And once dry, it's hard to make it stay in a texture for any length of time, and it at its worst it is shapeless, messy and frizzy or all three. Usually all three. When I can get it right, my hair can look great- but it's so rare- it almost never happens anymore.

I wear it up all the time. First of all because I do a lot of sports, so I have to- then, I'm always showering- but obviously I can't always wash it. I do the co-wash thing, sometimes wash the roots with Grandpa's Pine tar soap. That works well. But if I don't use some sort of leave-in conditioner or detangler, it gets frizzy and really shapeless. Most of these products weigh my hair down, if not right away, definitely by the next day.
Finally- to TBS Curl Booster. It works. It gives glossiness, it "forms" the curl pattern without fixing it unnaturally. It just helps it along. It smells delicious- very clean smelling, slightly nutty with the faintest tinge of cinnamon. It's not sticky. You can't see or feel it in your hair, it's just as if your hair becomes a prettier, glossier, bouncier-curl version of itself. And when I put it up, and then take it down, after I've used this, my hair isn't all deformed the way it usually is.

I use a pump or two after I've showered and either shampooed/cond. or just co-washed, through towel-dried hair. Then I use my tangle teezer and do whatever I'm going to do with my hair that day. Whatever "style" I decide on- wet ponytail because I'm going to sports, or down to air dry then up or straight up in a wet bun- this helps everything just look like Good Hair. Makes life easier.
One pump bottle lasts forever- and I actually finished it and actually bought another one. With me that is truly saying something- nothing- but nothing (except Wella SoFine Conditioning Mist, which was discontinued years and years ago) works on my hair. (CHI silk stuff used sparingly when straightening works well but makes my hair really dirty the next day- and doesn't work for staying curly.)
Recommend. And bonus- TBS not tested on animals/natural etc. And not very expensive. Especially considering how long it lasts.
UPDATE:
I actually ended up buying this for the 3rd time- and I've discovered the best use so far- either in wet hair, or if I dampen my hair, and then I twist my hair into long spirals, put into a loose chignon and it dries perfectly. My hair looks really shiny and thick and healthy, and I get the impression that the longer I use it, the better my hair looks. I'm so glad I discovered this stuff.
2nd UPDATE: I still love the way this smells, but it doesn't seem to work anymore- makes it a bit dry and lank, at the same time. I'm glad it worked for as long as it did, and I didn't read the full ingredient list; perhaps there is alcohol that becomes drying after some time? Pity. I gave it to a friend who has similarly curly hair, we'll see if and for how long she likes it...
I guess I need to remove a star for "non-endurance". So- 3 or 4 stars.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2011 6:50:00 AM More reviews by tsh82

i would buy it again, or wouldnt buy it again. so its a maybe for this one.
i think it does make my curls last longer and it has a really nice smell n makes my curls looks more natural. although i have to wash my hair at least 3 times a week now that this is making my hair looks dirty after 2 days. tho the price itself is pretty good for the quantity :)

UPDATE
i use this after i wash my hair when its still wet, i have to say it works better that way because as soon as it dries my waves turned into curls! :D

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 2:55:00 PM More reviews by narkiz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like this product because oddly it made my hair softer and I stopped using hair conditioner. A nice side effect:) Other than that, it is a mediocre product, didn't do miracles on my curls.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2010 1:24:00 PM More reviews by beg1nner

I have very curly hair that varies from waves to ringlets, a huge annoyance over frizz, and frustration over my curls turning drab and flat when they get even slightly oily. I bought this for about $12 and after using it a couple times I have noticed it makes my curls last longer. I took off a lippie because it didn't do all it promises about my frizz, but thats okay. I am a beg1nner.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2010 12:33:00 PM More reviews by jootje

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This product is heat activated and I find that it does indeed work better if you use heat. Without heat it does somewhat enhance my waves I guess, but they're still very frizzy. When I blow dry my hair becomes very shiny and the frizz is reduced, but my waves are gone.
The packaging is convenient. Two pumps is enough to cover all my hair (BSL).
The smell is a bit peculiar, but it doesn't smell bad. Just different.
It's not a bad product but it doesn't do enough for me to repurchase this. When I blowdry my hair my waves get lost and if I use this without blowdrying my hair is very frizzy, so that kind of defeats the purpose. Basically this acts as just another shine enhancing serum for me, and there are serums I like better.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2010 10:21:00 AM More reviews by rosiefm

This stuff is great! I have fine wavy hair and it totally gives my curls a boost without weighing them down. 1 lippie off because of the slightly weird smell. But I definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2009 12:30:00 AM More reviews by shaecode

LOVE this product! makes my curls bouncy and smooth. i use it everyday now. i buy it and use it with the brazil nut define and no frizz cream from the body shop, and that usually runs out before the cottonseed curl booster.