October 31, 2014 | 1605 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Coastal Scents - Coconut Oil Fractionated

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by Frae

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This oil has a lot of great uses, but I use it mainly for 3 - for hair conditioning, as a makeup remover, and for the oil cleansing method (OCM) of washing my face. It works well in each of these uses and then some. I occasionally add several drops to my conditioner (it's an ingredient in many conditioners already as caprylic acid) and sometimes use it as a skin conditioner which is near-magic on one's elbows. I put some under my eyes every morning to help make the wrinkles there disappear. It absorbs quickly - much quicker than non-fractionated coconut oil - and has no scent.

One popular use is as a massage oil, although I haven't tried it in that way yet. It has an indefinite shelf life, and will not stain clothing! I slather some on and get dressed with no worries. You get a lot of product for the price, and the bottle has a flip-top cap with a small hole for easy pouring without gushing everywhere. It is a great all-around moisturizer that is inexpensive and organic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

This isn't specifically sold as an eye makeup remover but that's how I use it (and thought it would be helpful to put a review here). Fractionated coconut oil has no additives or solvents and is a pure product processed simply using high pressure or hydrolysis. It also has nearly an indefinite shelf life and is extemely heat stable. And it removes waterproof and/or oil based makeup amazingly well, even long lasting eyeliners like MAC LiquidLast liner and waterproof mascara!
I find the best way to use it for eye makeup removal is to soak a Q-tip with it and gently run it along your upper and lower lashlines. It almost seems to just melt the makeup on contact while the Q-tip sweeps it away. I found only gentle rubbing was needed to remove my Liquidlast liner and any other type of eyeliner (liquid, pencil, gel...) were even easier to remove. You can also just use a cotton pad and swipe down over your eyelid. I used to think Lancome Bi-Facils was the way to go (after an absurd experiment in makeup school where we had to use black cream makeup for lipstick and eyeshadow... and then effectively remove it... and of all the different products and oils we tried, Bi-Facils won hands down) but then I discovered this, and I love it even more! It simply does not sting and while both require a facial cleanser as a follow up, it takes much less effort to get the slippery feeling of the coconut oil off than for the Bi-Facils (which tends to blurr my vision and drive me crazy) not to mention this is way more natural.
Also, fractionated coconut oil is *da shizz* for cleaning your eyeliner brushes. You use a gel liner? Hate cleaning your brush? Put a drop of fractionated coconut oil in your palm, dip in your brush for a little swirl and you won't believe how fast it works. The gel in the brush is instantly liquified into the oil. Not sure it's clean? Try dipping your brush into a clean drop of fract. coconut oil and it is practically clear. You brush is *clean*! Follow up with a little liquid soap rinse and you're done. I'm sure this works for foundaiton brushes too, which can be such a PITA to clean.
Note that this is not the same thing as regular coconut oil. The long chain tryglycerides (or solids) are removed so only the liquid saturated fat remains. I'm quite sure in my travels I've tried just dipping my Q-tip into my solid (melted) organic coconut oil to see if it was as effective, but it is not. :(
Currently Coastal Scents seems to be out of stock but hopefully they will have more soon! (It sells for less than $10 for 16oz ~ a bargain to boot!) I hate to be without this stuff in my cupboard!
EDIT to add, I don't think Coastal Scents carries this anymore, which is a real shame... BUT TKBtrading.com still carries it (and for an even better price!) If you have trouble finding it on the site (like I did), just enter "coconut" in the search box and it will come up. :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No