John Varvatos Artisan

3.8

on 12/3/2012 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a very nice but not exciting citrus fragrance. Has a hint of spice and wood which makes it a little different but again not very interesting or memorable.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This smells EXACTLY like Asprey Purple Water, which I own. Asprey is extremely hard to find and bloody expensive, so this is a great, less pricey alternative that is more widely available if you love that scent. This is really more unisex than masculine, in my opinion. I ended up with loads of samples of this because my fiancee hated it.

on 12/10/2010 12:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I am trying tons of new scents on my man right now to find his next scent. I really thought I would love this one for him based on the description. And I do love it. Just not on him. I love it on me, instead!
On my man, this was just too feminine. He smelled wonderful, like candy. Literally, like fruity candy. I don't want my man to smell like candy. I want him to smell like an Adonis! Like a man! When i snuggle into my man's neck for a whiff, I want to feel it in my loins! Artisan just made me think "mmm...candy." If this had just a bit more musk on the dry-down, it would have been great. But no...
That being said, I do like this on me and have been wearing the sample since we ruled it out for him!
I think this one probably depends on what you like on men, your age, you're man's natural body chemistry, etc. I like this scent, just not for a guy. :(

I bought this for my boyfriend for his Birthday. It's a light crisp clean citrusy scent. Makes me think of sipping umbrella drinks on a tropical island. I love it on him. He was attracted to the bottle on a trip to Sephora. He loved the smell and I now associate the smell with him. Awesome staying power too. Its not overpowering like a lot of Mens colognes tend to be

on 5/22/2009 11:04:00 PM

I bought this cologne for my boyfriend. I smelled it at the counter & it just smell so clean & fresh, but not in a "Cool Water" kind of way, which I am so over! It's a crisp, orangy citrus, with fresh, green notes, and just a twist of spice (maybe the ginger?). But there is a soft floral aspect too, that isn't feminine at all, but is confidantly non-masculine. I love to snuggle into his neck a few hours after he puts it on - it's a clean, soapy kind of small, but with a warm, musky undertone that smells like warm skin. I love this stuff!!!!

on 5/20/2009 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am definitely lean towards the citrus scent. I was intrigued by the description from the Sephora site.

Sicilian Clementine, Tangelo, Mandarin, Thyme, Marjoram, Lavadin, North African Orange Tree Blossom, Indian Murraya, Orange Jasmine Tree, Ginger extracts, Kephalis, Georgywood, Belambre, Serenolide.

It turned out I was not disappointed, it is citrusy & herbal, clean & fresh with a luxury. Considering the character of citrus scent, this lasts for about 2 hours, which is not bad.
It is definitely not those sexy, alluring scent, which I am not looking for anyway.
The bottle is something to wow about, truly unique, a tight woven rattan covering the entire bottle. The cap resembles an antique pewter, which presents the entity a found from the pirate's treasure.chest.

IMO, I don't think Artisan works as a unisex fragrance.

Popular Fragrances (for Men)

Bleu de Chanel