L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

2.6

on 5/8/2015 8:42:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This mascara....yikes! Like many reviewers have mentioned, this product will give you major raccoon eyes despite being a "waterproof" mascara! I've used the regular voluminous in waterproof and it works great, so if you were to pick from this or the other, definitely pick the other. This formula also feels a lot more wet than the regular.

on 5/8/2015 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I never hated a mascara so much! It applied well, I enjoyed to overall look. It made my eyelashes longer, and full. However, within an hour I would get HORRIBLE smudging under my eyes. I have never had this problem before with any mascara. I tried using eyelid primer under my eye and it only helped delay the smudging by a few hours. Not sure what the hype is I would not recommend.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I am so disappointed by this, I had to review. First of all, I bought this because Thataylaa on YouTube swore by this stuff! I have naturally long eyelashes, so pretty much any mascara I use will be fine. Let me start off with the formula type, it is a very wet, thick formula so it's very hard to get a desired coat. When applying to the lashes, it feels very thin, and smudges just terrible! If it didn't take more than 5 coats to thicken up my lashes, then I wouldn't mind it. By far the worst L'Oreal mascara!

on 5/7/2015 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I accidentally bought this in a hurry, instead of Maybelline's full n soft waterproof which I've tried years ago. I liked the firmness of the bristles of this brush - it wasn't too big and I hate that. It was easy enough to apply, but the look wasn't "great". It was just a regular mascara look, no "4x the volume" as advertised on the packaging. However, I purchased it for a day of watersports and it totally held up. Absolutely no smudging after my face being sprayed by ocean water from a boat, and being dunked under water about 20 times. Water was freezing, not sure if it would act differently in tropical warm water or a hot tub. Therefore, for me it totally served its purpose (I was really worried I'd be a mess after). It was quite stubborn to take off but that's expected. In conclusion, lash effect = ok, waterproof = good. Wouldn't wear except for beach and watersports as I have better ones that are non-waterproof.

--> I did notice on the package it reads "NEW Waterproof and Longwear". I wonder if its an improved version as others don't seem to have had my luck. Still called Voluminous Carbon Black Waterproof though.

on 4/18/2015 7:53:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

Good Lord, does this stuff smudge! I don't use very much mascara at all -- just a single flick on each eye's upper outer lashes -- and I still wind up with raccoon eyes after only an hour of wearing this. One hour, at home, where it is cool and dry, with no eye-touching at all. That's *terrible* performance, and I swear, it continues to smudge for days. I thought for sure I'd taken it all off last night, but then this morning -- raccoon eyes again. So back to the oil-based remover, and once again I thought I'd got it all off, only to find in another two hours? Raccoon eyes *again.* This is crazy. I've honestly never seen smudging like this before. Even in my teenaged Goth phase, when I was all about the super-heavy black eye makeup, I never had this type of persistent smudging.

I hate throwing things away, but I think I'm going to have to toss this one out. Not recommended.

on 3/7/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

NOT WATERPROOF. I've been wearing the regular Voluminous Waterproof for almost 20 years and that version wears like iron. I've worn the regular one to the gym, with allergies, whatever and it does not budge, but the Carbon Black version smudges easily. Hoping the tube runs out soon.

on 2/19/2015 1:59:00 AM

This is the worst drugstore brand mascara I've tried if not the worst one ever. I bought it from a local drugstore as a cold season waterproof alternative to my other non-waterproof brand I usually use. And... it smuges!!! It's the only one conventional mass market (packed with potentially dangerous chemicals), waterproof mascara that does that! I mean, not only it's packed with chemicals that are supposed to work but it's also advertised as waterproof. Yet, by the time I arrive at work, I clearly see ugly black circles around my eyes and by the lunch break, a good portion of it is under my eyes like I just came back from a night club of have been crying. And what's worse, it's next to impossible to remove it. I've tried everything I could from mascara removers to olive oil, cleansing milk and soap. It takes me 4 times more time to remove it than with other brands and then next morning I still see black stains under my eyes. Plus, it is not really working and my eyelashes just look plain as usual when I don't wear mascara. I dislike this product so much and I got so frustrated trying to remove it tonight that I decided to register and review it. What a waste of my money, never again.

on 12/20/2014 4:29:00 PM

Contrary to most of the reviewers, I LOVE this mascara. I agree that it isn't as waterproof as most waterproof formulas, but that's exactly what I like about it. It is just waterproof enough, leaves your lashes soft and comes off relatively easy with an oil based makeup remover (I use Ponds cold cream). With other waterproof mascara I always feel like my lashes are going to break or fall out due to dryness and difficulty taking it off, but not with this one. I also have never experienced raccoon eyes and I am prone to it having oily skin. Other plus - the color is super dark. This mascara is my HG drugstore mascara.

on 12/6/2014 2:22:00 AM

Agree with most reviews here, it smudges like crzay!!!! I wore eyeliner and this mascara during first use, I looked like a panda in 2 hours. I wanted to figure out which one is the culprit, eyeliner or mascara, so this time I wore this mascara alone. Again in two hours, the panda was back when I looked at myself in the mirror. Going to the trash now!!

on 10/29/2014 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This has been my HG for over 25 years. I'm surprised that it's not rated higher on this site. I have super long lashes and this has been the best mascara. I've tried all the other mascaras that have been rated highly but none are as good as this one. Everyone is always asking me what brand of mascara I wear.