September 2, 2014 | 984 users online

Shampoo - Green People - Organic Base No Scent Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2012 3:13:00 AM More reviews by faffner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Meh. Not the worst unscented shampoo I've tried. It didn't give me a rash, cause breakage, or make my dense, fine-structured, curly, tending toward poof-y hair fall out. It did make my hair look a mess -- super puffy, no curl, and fried -- while leaving it cruddy feeling. After only two times using the shampoo and matching conditioner, my hand would feel mucky when I ran it through my hair, even though my hair looked really dried out. It wasn't a matter of build-up: the only thing I use in my hair is a teeny amount of coconut oil, which always washes out easily.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2009 5:57:00 PM More reviews by ClariceD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My hair: fine, abundant, straight; length changes from short to mid-length and back again quite frequently; coloured. I wash and blow-dry every other day; I flat iron my hair about once a week. Perpetually itchy and dermatitis-prone scalp.

The product: Basic, minimal, more "natural" shampoo. Its ingredients are mild enough for use on babies and other sensitively-scalped souls. Apart from the cleasing base, the only additional ingredients are anti-inflammatory aloe vera, humectant vegetable glycerin, and antioxidant green tea. As per its name, OBNSS contains no fragrance whatsoever, including essential oils, which in many cases I am sensitive to. While I applaud this, do be aware that it means that the shampoo will arrive in your expectant palm smelling very slightly odd. Fortunately this dissipates quickly.

The payoff for a minimal formula is that it's very concentrated. While it lathers well and rapidly, the concentration combined with the alkaline surfactants make it too drying to my hair and scalp for frequent use. Recent studies have made much of the soothing powers of aloe vera (the first ingredient) for seborrheic dermatitis, but if anything, my scalp was more itchy than ever while using this. I also noticed more hair loss during washing with this product and subtle but definite fading of my colour. In fairness, though, many sulfate-free shampoos I've tried seem to have had this effect and using this shampoo coincided with some changes in long term medication. If your hair is damaged, tends towards dryness, or you have an irritable scalp, this shampoo is best avoided. For sensitive scalps and/or dandruff, Green People's Rosemary Shampoo is well worth seeking out. For drier hair, Essential Care Gentle Herb Shampoo is very effective, also sulfate-free and a similar price. Neither of those options is fragrance-free; both are fragranced with essential oils. Otherwise, this is a good multi-purpose product to have around. I use it as a body wash and to clean make-up and hair brushes with synthetic bristles. At least one lippy is due to that, since as a shampoo this is mediocre at best.

Ingredients: *Aloe vera, decyl glucoside, glycerin, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocamoniumcarbamyochloride, *green tea (*denotes organically grown). GBP8.80/200ml, independent health food shops, greenpeople.co.uk, and other online retailers.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No