April 17, 2014 | 1922 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by starbuck777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm really like-loving this loose mineral foundation. I have dry acne prone skin and I've been applying it with Sephora's Mineral Powder 45 Brush (I'm not a talented makeup artist nor a brush afficianado but I STRONGLY recommend this brush for loose OR liquid cc creams or foundations...makes all the difference in the world especially for a novice like me) and using the mostly downward strokes and initial tapping Jane Iredale recommends. You can't apply this stuff like Bare Essentials. No circle, blending, or dusting motions. I think the BE brushes are even too fluffy in my opinion. It won't stick to you and just doesn't work. Tap on to areas that need the most coverage, and then in one motion, stroke in one direction from top to bottom. Even use this motion to blend. You can also move, in one direction/motion from inside to outside of the face when working away from the nose but it's the same technique so you get the idea. I know it sounds weird but that's what JI recommends as well and it's really the only way. Otherwise, their flanked sponge, or whatever it's called, can be used to press and roll it on, but I only use this on acne scars that need fuller coverage. Obviously use sparingly though because it's more cakey/less natural than using the brushes.

Color matching was hard (I actually got steered towards the wrong color at first (warm sienna) but it was too dark/yellow) so I'm hoping I can use that during the summer when I'm tan. Otherwise it's A LOT of money down the drain and this was quite a splurge to begin with...I'm such an idiot for getting influenced in the store...in the sales girl's defense, I am hard to match because I get pale to tan depending on the season and have both warm and cool undertones but she basically gave up once I insisted on the loose powder instead of the pressed. Apparently, she only likes the pressed but I read loose was better for dry skin. Ugh. Why is buying makeup always a freaking battle? Anyway, neutral undertones tend to work best on me and I'm Revlon Colorstay Sand Beige. I ended up getting Satin for my winter skin (IF I was warmer/more yellow I would have gotten warm silk FYI) and am pretty happy with it. The loose and pressed colors are way different from each other so do your homework. The find your foundation quiz on the jane iredale website was actually really helpful so I recommend it!

And finally, although it doesn't look as amazing as bare essentials, it's pretty darn close; however, I totally choose JI over BE any day because the ingredients are WAY WAY better. It's improving my tone, doesn't make me feel dry/itchy, and basically dispelled my belief that I couldn't wear powder foundation...turns out the crap metal fillers in BE was the real problem.

Oh, also use a toner or spritzer! I start on moisturized skin (rosehip seed oil that I let sink in) and apply in layers. I was worried the pommist/D20 spray would make me break out so I bought this esoteric brand OM Pur's toner in Lavender Neroli. It's raw, all natural, and mostly aloe based. Love it but typical rosewater type toners would work just the same, I'm sure. Good luck!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Chl0eD

Absolutely LOVE this product!

I have a super oily face - T zone in particular.. to the point that my foundation will literally dissolve off my face... I also have acne and acne scarring so need my foundation to last!

I went into the beauty salon to ask for advice and they used this mineral foundation on me... I could not believe when I got home after work and it hadn't moved off my face! Due to the oil it does look a little cakier by late afternoon but it stays on!

I love how it looks - I hate really matte foundations on me, I prefer the dewier look which this foundation gives (especially if you use the d20 hydrating spray with it).. yet still doesnt look oily or greasy!

Totally recommend to anyone with really oily skin!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by msjohns888

.37 ounces. Seriously. No coverage, will use in a month. Taking it back.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 12:12:00 AM More reviews by ycust

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted to try mineral makeup and I was introduced to JI by the makeup artist. She said, JI is much better than BE in quality and more suitable for mature skin. She made best demonstration on my face, so I gave it try. I like it because it (powder) alone gives a great coverage, not too sheer and not too matte. I can use JI Dream Tint under it for a perfect look but it would make my face shinier. I now use MAC which is light and fine powder in great shade. JI's coverage is better than MAC and I would go back to JI again. However, there are 3 down sides to this product. 1) is that it make my face very shiny after a couple of hours, so I need something like No More Shining spray to finish. 2) is that they don't have many shades available. Certainly not for tanned Asian skin. I'm NC35 in the winter, NC37 in the summer, so I always have to buy two shades and need to mix them. 3) is their high price. Go figure I need two shades of Dream Tint and two shades of loose powder. I tried NARS recently and they have so many shades and gave a natural finish, but I think JI is slightly better for the silky finish.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by martejensen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this after hearing so many great things about this product, but when I actually bought it and tried it on it was a huge disappointment. It wouldn't even go on my skin, it just sort of dusted off. When I tried blending it, it had absolutely no coverage whatsoever. Had been looking forward to using this product as it's supposed to be super good for your skin, but I ended up going back to my good old Kanebo.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by skylarbee4

My face has mild rosacea that is noticeable in pinkness around my cheeks, jaw, and some on my nose, I have kp around my jawline, some very mild freckles and sun damage, a tendency toward hormonal breakouts, and combination skin- oily, normal and SENSITIVE. This is my HG foundation! Since my skin reacts to everything, I like that JI products are free of nasty parabens, pthalates, preservatives, fillers and FD&C dyes- and as an added bonus have an spf rated highly by the American Cancer Society. Plus they are extremely water resistant, if I'm sweating or swimming, as long as I'm not wiping my face constantly- it stays on. Which doesn't mean that it's not easy to remove, I can use water and the Magic Mitt (also by JI) and it removes every last bit of it.

As for coverage, I've noticed that the loose powder offers more coverage, but is not quite as mattifying. So I either use an oil control primer or go over my nose and jaw lightly with the pressed base. By itself, the loose minerals cover up my redness perfectly, I use a light warm shade since I have a neutral/warm skin tone and I want to counteract the redness. The yellow undertones make my blotchiness disappear- without looking like a caked on mess! It looks like it's my skin, just better! It doesn't break out my skin as long as I wash it all off before bed.

Although the price can seem a little steep, I feel like I'm paying for something that above all works on my skin, is healthy for my skin, and actually helps to prevent new breakouts on my skin since the powder is inert- no bacteria can grow in it. (I keep my brushes clean though, because THOSE can cause breakouts!) All in all, I'm never using another brand of powder on my face ever again- unless other mineral makeups decide to get rid of their fillers (like talc) and sell me something that is pure and clean and undiluted.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by needhappyskin

I absolutely despise this line of products. I put them on only to be disappointed with the sheer coverage. Then, I literally watched three new pimples pop up a few hours after applications. As soon as I washed this makeup off my skin calmed down. Now, I am going makeup free. Super embarrassing but I just am terrified to touch makeup to my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by LGinata

Unlike my last two Jane Iredale reviews this product I actually liked. It has not given me any redness like the pressed base but then again it doesn't contain all the same ingredients. My only complaint is that it can look a little oily after a few hours and you might need to touch it up. Other than that is a pretty good product. I have Amazing BaseŽ SPF 20 Light Beige. Which is perfect for my pale skin with pink undertones.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 2:11:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

In my ongoing search to replace my HG pressed powder foundation (EM), I received several samples of this product from Jane's website when I inquired about the pressed foundation.

ME: MAC = NC15; EM = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff; Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude. I'm in my mid 40s, slightly drier cheeks, slightly oiler t-zone, not super sensitive to breakouts, redness/slight rosacea on cheeks, nose, chin, several melasma spots.

This stuff performs like the pressed version = does a decent job as far as pigment if applied w/ a flat top brush (I use either my EM or SK), but if I want to completely cover my melasma and redness, I have to go over those areas w/ my damp Beauty Blender sponge. I do not apply under my eyes as a liquid concealer or foundation works better there. Also, I find it goes on easier and more even if applied over a primer (I use monistat.)

Bisque is a nice match for me. I always set my MU no matter what I"m wearing w/ UD All NIghter, but I did go 1 day w/out setting and I recall this foundation lasting about 7 hours w/ a need to blot my nose/chin 1x at 4 hours. W/ the UD = lasts from 6 am until 10:30 pm.

I won't re-purchase since IMO, EM loose performs better and is FAR less $$. However, it does doe a nice job so I gave it a 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by jrothkopf

I rarely write reviews, but I love Amazing Base! I'm 49 with an oily t-zone, but use a retinoid, so have some flakes, too. However, I use this over my Shiseido high ppa ss, and I look great.

You NEED to know that the loose powders are darker than the pressed, which is why some MMUers are upset about the color choices, I think. Call Jane Iredale to get some free samples (though they tend to send me ones that are way too dark, for some reason...) They'll send loose and pressed, if you're interested.

I'm pretty darn pale, but have a slight yellow undertone, and use Bisque in Amazing Base (perfection!) and Warm Silk in the pressed powder (not sure yet about this shade because I rarely use the pressed powder.)

I love how light and no-makeup-y it feels, and if I have more to cover up, I just spritz with Evian or Pomist, and then do another layer of powder, or use a concealer brush to apply the Amazing base more thickly on spots. I also like to apply it with a mini kabuki on troublesome red areas, as well. as her Chisel brush for a lighter more overall sweep of powder..

I feel more confident because I don't feel like I'm wearing makeup and it does a great job at covering redness!

The other day someone even said how pretty I was, and that I didn't even have a pimple! LOL!! They didn't even know I was wearing makeup. True love: my HG!!