October 22, 2014 | 993 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by foxyknoxy

Love this product. It does have cons but its worth it for me. So this product is going to oxidize on you. It goes on light and depending on how oily you are, it may get darker. I'm okay with this since this makeup never breakouts me out and I tested it out to find the perfect shade. It last forever and I use it only in the places I need it. I don't buff onto my entire face.

Pros:
Great for Acnegenic/Sensitive/Oily Skin
Better Ingredients vs. Other Mineral Powders
Doesn't Transfer to Clothing As Much as Other Foundations/Powders
Great Shade Selection

Cons:
A Little Expensive
The dispenser packaging should include a twist and tap top similar to Bare Minerals
Probably not that great for dry skin

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 5:23:00 AM More reviews by EmyLoy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My favourite foundation. This stuff provides sheer but buildable coverage and a luminous finish when buffed in (I use a big, natural-fibre powder brush). So easy to apply and even after a hurried application, it's virtually impossible to mess up or end up with streaks or unblended areas. I have normal-dry skin and was so surprised the first time I used this that it didn't give look powdery AT ALL (even outside in full sunlight). It sinks into the skin rather than sitting on top and it doesn't settle or melt into lines (great for mature skin too for this reason). Gives a beautiful, polished, no makeup look. I use "Golden Glow" and am an NC35 in MAC. Note that the pressed version of this is very different though as the mineral particles aren't milled as finely and therefore looks powdery on the skin. Other foundations that I've used & liked, but still preferred this have been: MAC Face & Body, Lancome Teint Miracle & Chanel Vitalumiere.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/22/2014 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Silverystars

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Awful product. Overpriced for what you are getting. I've used my MAC product for 20 yrs and will stick to it as it's amazing. This product was given as a gift and now in the bin. Coverage isn't great and lasts only 2-3 hours. My MAC lasts all day. Don't waste your money!!!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2014 7:28:00 PM More reviews by cwoodlander

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I can't believe a Jane Iredale foundation caused such horrible breakouts. Years ago her purepressed based and the liquid minerals were the only two things I could tolerate! Now over 10 years later with dry mature skin I am once again having a bout with rosacea and reactivity and I went running back to Jane Iredale. I dreaded the idea of powder on my dry skin and didn't like the liquidminerals anymore, so I went with the loose for the dewy look it should have provided.

Mistake! Though I didn't have to waste money - the Iredae customer service is excellent and I received a number of samples - I discovered over a period of a couple of weeks by testing twice, breakout out horribly after three days, allowing everything to settle down and clear up and trying again for yet more breakouts, this was the cuprit. I have not changed anything else in my skin/hair/diet routine. So very disappointed as I don't know what to try next. Don't get this if you have highly reactive or sensitive skin. If you want to try it, ask the company first for free samples.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by starbuck777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

EDIT*: I still use this on most days: when I run errands, go to the gym, or hang around the house. But I would never feel confident wearing this as my "meet new people" or going "out-out" makeup. It feels great and I'm convinced it does wonderful things for my skin. But finding a color match is impossible. I mix two colors every time (Satin & Warm Silk... a pink + a yellow undertone to =neutral) and I still feel the color and finish don't look natural. But again, compared to wearing nothing, at least I feel like I have some coverage on chill days. Even so, I'm TRYING TO BE BRAVE AND WEAR THIS ON MY CHIN THOUGH when I do my full makeup because that's where I break out. I think doing this minimizes my breakouts.

ORIGINAL POST:
I'm really like-loving this loose mineral foundation. I have dry acne prone skin and I've been applying it with Sephora's Mineral Powder 45 Brush (I'm not a talented makeup artist nor a brush afficianado but I STRONGLY recommend this brush for loose OR liquid cc creams or foundations...makes all the difference in the world especially for a novice like me) and using the mostly downward strokes and initial tapping Jane Iredale recommends. You can't apply this stuff like Bare Essentials. No circle, blending, or dusting motions. I think the BE brushes are even too fluffy in my opinion. It won't stick to you and just doesn't work. Tap on to areas that need the most coverage, and then in one motion, stroke in one direction from top to bottom. Even use this motion to blend. You can also move, in one direction/motion from inside to outside of the face when working away from the nose but it's the same technique so you get the idea. I know it sounds weird but that's what JI recommends as well and it's really the only way. Otherwise, their flanked sponge, or whatever it's called, can be used to press and roll it on, but I only use this on acne scars that need fuller coverage. Obviously use sparingly though because it's more cakey/less natural than using the brushes. But I'm getting better at it, I think at least.

Color matching was hard (I actually got steered towards the wrong color at first-- warm sienna-- but it was too dark/yellow) so I'm hoping I can use that during the summer when I'm tan. Otherwise it's A LOT of money down the drain and this was quite a splurge to begin with...I'm such an idiot for getting influenced in the store...in the sales girl's defense, I am hard to match because I get pale to tan depending on the season and have both warm and cool undertones. She basically gave up once I insisted on the loose powder instead of the pressed. Apparently, she only likes the pressed but I read loose was better for dry skin. Ugh. Why is buying makeup always a freaking battle? Anyway, neutral undertones tend to work best on me and I'm Revlon Colorstay Sand Beige. I ended up getting Satin for my winter skin (IF I was warmer/more yellow I would have gotten warm silk FYI) and am pretty happy with it. The loose and pressed colors are way different from each other so do your homework. The "find your foundation quiz" on the jane iredale website was actually really helpful so I recommend it!

And finally, although it doesn't look as amazing as bare essentials, it's pretty darn close; however, I totally choose JI over BE any day because the ingredients are WAY WAY better. It's improving my tone, doesn't make me feel dry/itchy, and basically dispelled my belief that I couldn't wear powder foundation...turns out the crap metal fillers in BE was the real problem.

Oh, also use a toner or spritzer! I start on moisturized skin (rosehip seed oil that I let sink in) and apply in layers. I was worried the pommist/D20 spray would make me break out so I bought this esoteric brand OM Pur's toner in Lavender Neroli. It's raw, all natural, and mostly aloe based. Love it but typical rosewater type toners would work just the same, I'm sure. Honestly, it looks the best when i don't use a toner but go to the gym, lol. Then my natural oils/sweat comes through a bit and makes my JI look the best-- super weird, I know. Good luck!!!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Chl0eD

Absolutely LOVE this product!

I have a super oily face - T zone in particular.. to the point that my foundation will literally dissolve off my face... I also have acne and acne scarring so need my foundation to last!

I went into the beauty salon to ask for advice and they used this mineral foundation on me... I could not believe when I got home after work and it hadn't moved off my face! Due to the oil it does look a little cakier by late afternoon but it stays on!

I love how it looks - I hate really matte foundations on me, I prefer the dewier look which this foundation gives (especially if you use the d20 hydrating spray with it).. yet still doesnt look oily or greasy!

Totally recommend to anyone with really oily skin!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by msjohns888

.37 ounces. Seriously. No coverage, will use in a month. Taking it back.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 12:12:00 AM More reviews by ycust

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted to try mineral makeup and I was introduced to JI by the makeup artist. She said, JI is much better than BE in quality and more suitable for mature skin. She made best demonstration on my face, so I gave it try. I like it because it (powder) alone gives a great coverage, not too sheer and not too matte. I can use JI Dream Tint under it for a perfect look but it would make my face shinier. I now use MAC which is light and fine powder in great shade. JI's coverage is better than MAC and I would go back to JI again. However, there are 3 down sides to this product. 1) is that it make my face very shiny after a couple of hours, so I need something like No More Shining spray to finish. 2) is that they don't have many shades available. Certainly not for tanned Asian skin. I'm NC35 in the winter, NC37 in the summer, so I always have to buy two shades and need to mix them. 3) is their high price. Go figure I need two shades of Dream Tint and two shades of loose powder. I tried NARS recently and they have so many shades and gave a natural finish, but I think JI is slightly better for the silky finish.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by martejensen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this after hearing so many great things about this product, but when I actually bought it and tried it on it was a huge disappointment. It wouldn't even go on my skin, it just sort of dusted off. When I tried blending it, it had absolutely no coverage whatsoever. Had been looking forward to using this product as it's supposed to be super good for your skin, but I ended up going back to my good old Kanebo.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by skylarbee4

My face has mild rosacea that is noticeable in pinkness around my cheeks, jaw, and some on my nose, I have kp around my jawline, some very mild freckles and sun damage, a tendency toward hormonal breakouts, and combination skin- oily, normal and SENSITIVE. This is my HG foundation! Since my skin reacts to everything, I like that JI products are free of nasty parabens, pthalates, preservatives, fillers and FD&C dyes- and as an added bonus have an spf rated highly by the American Cancer Society. Plus they are extremely water resistant, if I'm sweating or swimming, as long as I'm not wiping my face constantly- it stays on. Which doesn't mean that it's not easy to remove, I can use water and the Magic Mitt (also by JI) and it removes every last bit of it.

As for coverage, I've noticed that the loose powder offers more coverage, but is not quite as mattifying. So I either use an oil control primer or go over my nose and jaw lightly with the pressed base. By itself, the loose minerals cover up my redness perfectly, I use a light warm shade since I have a neutral/warm skin tone and I want to counteract the redness. The yellow undertones make my blotchiness disappear- without looking like a caked on mess! It looks like it's my skin, just better! It doesn't break out my skin as long as I wash it all off before bed.

Although the price can seem a little steep, I feel like I'm paying for something that above all works on my skin, is healthy for my skin, and actually helps to prevent new breakouts on my skin since the powder is inert- no bacteria can grow in it. (I keep my brushes clean though, because THOSE can cause breakouts!) All in all, I'm never using another brand of powder on my face ever again- unless other mineral makeups decide to get rid of their fillers (like talc) and sell me something that is pure and clean and undiluted.