April 17, 2014 | 1406 users online

Eye Shadow - E.L.F. - Mineral Eyeshadow in Caffeinated

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by NaturalBeautyLovr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wore this eyeshadow the other day for the first time and got so many compliments! Even my husband (who almost never notices my makeup) told me my eyes looked beautiful. This eyeshadow is a deep gold leaning brown. VERY shimmery. I have only applied it dry, pressing it onto a sticky base, but I plan to foil it and see how it looks then (these ELF mineral eyeshadows transform when you wear them wet!). All in all, I think this is a great, year-round color that looks beautiful for the daytime without eyeliner and glamorous in the evening with a little smudgey liner. As with any loose eyeshadow, I wouldn't recommend this for travel, as it could get disastrously messy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2013 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Aethernaut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Caffeinated is, as others have pointed out, quite a misleading name for this shade. There is nothing coffee coloured about this, to me it is a shimmering antiqued gold. I can't see the olive green as strongly as others can however so it's possible that it will pull more green on some complexions than others. I think it's quite a neutral shade and so should work with a variety of skin tones.

It is shimmery but I do not find this overwhelming if worn dry. Applied wet, it becomes an intense metallic shade which I can (just about) pull off. I think the very fine texture and lack of chalkiness in the formulation make the shimmer kinder and more wearable.

Caffeinated glides onto my lids very smoothly and is easy to blend. A little goes a very long way and these pigments are messy. I recommend keeping them upright on a dresser as if you put these in a makeup bag they will just explode powder everywhere when you open them up. Keep them upright and work neatly and you should be ok, though a certain amount of mess and spillage has to be expected. Fallout when applying is a problem, but if you tap excess powder from the brush and do your eyes first you can clean up any stray powder with ease.

I love this shade, I can wear it alone just on the lid and feel "done". It really enhances my blue grey eyes and makes them look clear and bright. It can be used to dramatic effect if applied wet and in my experience this does not look harsh even on pale skin - on tanned skin it is truly beautiful. Once on it does not budge - last night when I was taking this off I noticed that it looked exactly the same as when it was first applied. No creasing, no fading. I do have dry lids though, so your mileage may vary. It is also great that this whole range of shadows is inexpensive, does not contain harsh chemicals and is cruelty free.

Of the four E.L.F mineral shadows I have tried so far, this one is definitely the keeper. It will last me a long time, but I will definitely buy again when I run out.The colour is so flattering that I don't mind dealing with the messiness of working with pigment powder. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 12:32:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

Amazing product!! This is such a beautiful color. In the pot, it just looks like an average brown, but worn foiled on the lid, it is a tarnished golden brown, with almost a slight hint of olive-y green in it. Just absolutely gorgeous.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by chsieh1128

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In general I love ELF mineral eyeshadow for its quality and price. I would give 5-star to the eyeshadow in general.

However, the name Caffeinated and the color shown in their website is quite confusing. I was more expecting a deeper coffee bean brown (and it looks deep brown in the pot). However, when you apply on the eyelid, it's golden shimmering olive brown.... a bit too shimmering for my taste.

Still playing with this color... but I probably will not get this color again...

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2011 8:06:00 AM More reviews by voidy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

The name of the eyedashadow is deceiving - you'd expect it to be a coffee brown colour-, but to me it looks like a medium brown with a lot of gold shimmer (way too much) and a very subtle hint of green. In my opinion, it is a pretty colour, but if you don't like shimmer don't get it. I think it would be a lot prettier if it wasn't so shimmery.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2010 2:48:00 PM More reviews by WesleysMom25

This is a dark brown color. I have it on today and I love it. I think they last all day. A little goes a long way.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2010 11:17:00 AM More reviews by MakeUp4Fun

I would describe this color as a deep bronze color. It's too metallic / shiny for my liking, but it's sitll a very nice color. I don't find them to be very long-lasting even with a primer. But I'll deal with it since it's one of the cheapest mineral e/s you can buy at $3 a jar :) Actually, the size is the same as Everyday Minerals sample... about 0.03 oz. That's plenty of product for an eyeshadow. I ended up pressing mine into a palette because I just couldn't deal with loose powders in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2010 8:07:00 PM More reviews by bisco

I've bought five mineral eyeshadows, this one isn't too bad. I think it might be too dark for my fair skin, but the shade and product it's self isn't bad. It's great. Over all, the shade is an olive/brown like color. It has a lot of shimmer, and you definitely do not need to apply a lot to get the shade in the jar. I'd say it's nice though! And would recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 10:33:00 PM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a very beautiful brownish, olive, gold mineral shadow. The price was right at 90 cents. The shadow is long wearing with the e.l.f. mineral primer and I can wear this during the daytime and it has the perfect amount of shimmer. It looks great as a wet eyeliner - lots of shimmer and it pops with my brown eyes.

Love this shadow and I will buy this product again...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2009 7:00:00 PM More reviews by hp11989

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Overall rating: Although I gave this product 5 lippies, they are awarded more for texture and pigmentation than for actual shade. This is shown on the E.L.F. Web site, as well as on the product box, as soft medium brown. Don't be fooled: IT HAS LOTS OF OLIVE GREEN IN IT! It's more like a bronzed olive green. It applied beautifully, like buttah; is very pigmented; and is very shimmery. It lasted all day with UDPP underneath. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or swap it because although it's gorgeous, it wasn't what the color thought I was buying, and it doesn't do anything for my hazel green eyes :-(
Where did I buy this: E.L.F. Web site.
Price: A mere $.75 during the recent E.L.F. sale.
Packaging: Best you can get for a loose powder product: large screw-top pot (about the size of a BE shadow) with a sifter cap.
Would I buy again: No. continued >>