The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask

3.4

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 4/19/2015 11:15:00 PM

It actually works, but it's very strong. I have sensitive skin with a pinch of oily and i actually thought it was a good idea to buy it, and it was, the thing is that it was too strong for my skin type.

on 3/25/2015 7:03:00 AM

I have read a lot of negative reviews on this product: stinging skin, too expensive, drying out, difficult to wash off etc.

First of all, before you purchase ANY skin product, you should have your skin assessed by a professional to determine your skin type. Secondly, NEVER apply a product without doing a spot test. Thirdly, but a product that SUITS YOUR SKIN type. And finally, read the directions or ask the assistant on how to apply.

I have severe sensitive skin, and this didn't irritate it at all. If you found that this product "turned your face red" like I have read then you should have done a spot test before applying it to your whole face. The chances are you have either an allergy to an ingredient, you skin is a dry type or you have broken skin from either pimples or sores. None of these is the manufacturers fault.

If you find this product dried your skin, then again i think that this was just the wrong product for your skin type. The packaging clearly states combination/oily so don't use it if you don't have that type.

If you are finding it hard to remove, you have 100% used too much. A little goes a long way. Apply a thin even layer to your face, just enought to make it so you can't see your skin underneath. Before you wash it off, smile a little and scrunch your face to cause those micro racks in the surface, that makes it easier for the water to penetrate the mask and it will wash off a lot easier.

I can't help you on price, but if you remember that a little goes a long way, you won't go through it as often and that will save you some quid :)

I absolutely love this product and definitely recommend it for people with combination/ oily skin for a weekly skin treatment.

Remember to use this product at night, as the clay drys it draws out the excess oils and sebum in your pores and you don't want the daily toxins getting into your freshly cleansed pores.

on 3/1/2015 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I'm going to say up front I thoroughly dislike this mask and it is one of the few products I would recommend to no one. I have pretty much flawless skin and like to use a detoxifying mask to make sure it stays that way. You should also know that I have extremely dry, sensitive skin due to illnesses so anyone with that skin type might find this review helpful. I put this thick clay mask on and immediately noticed my skin started stinging, but all products sting my skin so I disregarded it. As the product started drying, the stinging got stronger, but was also accompanied by a horrible itch. At about the 15 minute mark, I had to wash it off before it was completely dry, because I was pretty sure I was having some sort of reaction. Washing it off was the worst part for some reason- it burned like heck. My face turned out to be red and very itchy, and my normally smooth skin was rough. The flaky, dry patches I had worked at for so long to get rid of were back, too. Basically this mask was a disaster. I should give it a 1, but I gave it a 2 because at least it didn't give me a rash or break me out. I wouldn't recommend it, but I say if you do decide to get it proceed with caution and do a patch test. Sensitive skinned people should probably avoid this all together. But I'm happy for the people it worked for, I wish it had for me.

on 2/17/2015 12:52:00 PM

A lightly scented greenish-gray clay mask. I have combination skin and found this to be a very drying mask. It applies thickly and dries to a hard finish in 10-15 minutes. My skin started to have a stinging sensation as this mask dried, perhaps from the alcohol in it. . I do think it would be beneficial for oily skin types and maybe just the T-zone area for combination skin types? I prefer a less harsh clay mask, such as Boots Botanics Ionic Clay Mask or any Montagne Jeunesse mask as I have no irritation or dryness from using them.

on 12/5/2014 9:52:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Nope. Nope nope nope. Never again. Apparently I'm extremely sensitive to something in this product. Broke out so bad; I've never had a reaction to anything like that before. Guess I'll stick to my Aztec clay masks.

on 10/6/2014 6:31:00 PM

I bought this product yesterday after great reviews from the worker at The Body Shop at my local mall. She asked what kind of skin I had and if it was sensitive, which yes I have combination(oily t zone and dry cheeks), and it can be sensitive from time to time. She told me she had the same kind of skin and she loves this product. It really helped balance the oils in her skin. I thought this was going to be a great product. She told me to cleanse my skin before applying and then apply the mask and leave on for 15 minutes. I did just that. It began to dry immediately and right from there my face began to hurt because it was hardening and pulling the skin tight. I can handle that. It's always a good sign when it stings a little hinting that it's doing what its supposed to do. About the 12 minute mark my face began to burn just a tiny bit. I thought it might have been from me kind of scrunching my face during the process. I went to wash it off after the 15 minute mark and like many reviews that I have read that says it washes off nice and easy... no not the case. I stood under warm water to loosen it up before I could even get any to remove. Once I dried my face the mask had burned my skin where it has been applied. Not like slightly red, I mean like reddish purple and painful. Needless to say I will give this mask one last shot in a few days just on my nose and chin and if it does it again in the garbage it goes. Slightly disappointed.

on 8/13/2014 8:58:00 PM

I bought the sample size at Ulta and I loved it! Let me start by saying I have combination/oily skin which is what the mask says it's for. The first thing I noticed was the scent. It was a good smell that reminded of what most ocean scented lotions smell like. It's gray colored and as it dries it gets lighter. My skin is not sensitive but I did find the tightness while it dried a bit painful. However once washed off my skin looked AMAZING. It felt soft and looked bright. Despite the tightness I had felt, I didn't need to put moisturizer on as I usually do. The next day my skin was more oily than usual. However today, two days since using the mask, my oiliness went down immensely! I usually need to blot by 12PM but I didn't need to blot until around 6PM today! I absolutely love this mask! I'm a broke college student and the price is quite steep for me, but after seeing the results of the mask both my parents encouraged me to get it! I really recommend everyone purchase the sample size and see how your skin reacts, I'm sure you will then run out to buy the full size like me! I've recommended it to all my friends. Though one more con besides the pain I felt while it dried, despite the mask originally smelling good, as it dried it began to smell fishy! I'm guessing it was the seaweed. Not a horrible smell but definitely not great.

on 7/30/2014 8:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Just used this for the first time today, I can already feel the improvement on my skin! First few minutes of having it on my skin gave a wee bit of a sting, but you can tell that the product is working. I will definitely include this in my beauty routine.

on 7/22/2014 10:22:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have pretty large, visible pores. I've had this mask for about a month. I use it about 2-3 times a week, leaving it on from 30 minutes to an hour. At first I was getting small red bumps, but gradually they're fading (maybe all the gunk is being pulled to the surface?) and the condition of my pores has improved SO MUCH!! They really look smaller, and definitely lighter. I do experience a bit of stinging at first, but it's not too bad. If you have sensitive skin, this mask may be too harsh. I got it in one of the awesome sales at the Body Shop, so it's also very inexpensive for the amount you get!

on 7/2/2014 11:11:00 AM

I have very oily skin, acne prone and in the summertime I cannot stand all this eccess oil, so I was in search for a really clearifying mask and I thought I could give a try to this one. It is a clay mask with an earthy smell, easy to apply. I use it twice a week for about a month and I love it! I use to have small pimples on my forehead but just the other day I realized that they are almost gone! I wouldn't recomend it though if you have sensitive skin because ,as others have already said, it can be very stripping.

Popular Masks