October 25, 2014 | 1690 users online

Masks - The Body Shop - Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by jthomson1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product yesterday after great reviews from the worker at The Body Shop at my local mall. She asked what kind of skin I had and if it was sensitive, which yes I have combination(oily t zone and dry cheeks), and it can be sensitive from time to time. She told me she had the same kind of skin and she loves this product. It really helped balance the oils in her skin. I thought this was going to be a great product. She told me to cleanse my skin before applying and then apply the mask and leave on for 15 minutes. I did just that. It began to dry immediately and right from there my face began to hurt because it was hardening and pulling the skin tight. I can handle that. It's always a good sign when it stings a little hinting that it's doing what its supposed to do. About the 12 minute mark my face began to burn just a tiny bit. I thought it might have been from me kind of scrunching my face during the process. I went to wash it off after the 15 minute mark and like many reviews that I have read that says it washes off nice and easy... no not the case. I stood under warm water to loosen it up before I could even get any to remove. Once I dried my face the mask had burned my skin where it has been applied. Not like slightly red, I mean like reddish purple and painful. Needless to say I will give this mask one last shot in a few days just on my nose and chin and if it does it again in the garbage it goes. Slightly disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2014 8:58:00 PM More reviews by Dianaofg

I bought the sample size at Ulta and I loved it! Let me start by saying I have combination/oily skin which is what the mask says it's for. The first thing I noticed was the scent. It was a good smell that reminded of what most ocean scented lotions smell like. It's gray colored and as it dries it gets lighter. My skin is not sensitive but I did find the tightness while it dried a bit painful. However once washed off my skin looked AMAZING. It felt soft and looked bright. Despite the tightness I had felt, I didn't need to put moisturizer on as I usually do. The next day my skin was more oily than usual. However today, two days since using the mask, my oiliness went down immensely! I usually need to blot by 12PM but I didn't need to blot until around 6PM today! I absolutely love this mask! I'm a broke college student and the price is quite steep for me, but after seeing the results of the mask both my parents encouraged me to get it! I really recommend everyone purchase the sample size and see how your skin reacts, I'm sure you will then run out to buy the full size like me! I've recommended it to all my friends. Though one more con besides the pain I felt while it dried, despite the mask originally smelling good, as it dried it began to smell fishy! I'm guessing it was the seaweed. Not a horrible smell but definitely not great.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 8:19:00 AM More reviews by fofamoyane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just used this for the first time today, I can already feel the improvement on my skin! First few minutes of having it on my skin gave a wee bit of a sting, but you can tell that the product is working. I will definitely include this in my beauty routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2014 10:22:00 PM More reviews by furafura

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have pretty large, visible pores. I've had this mask for about a month. I use it about 2-3 times a week, leaving it on from 30 minutes to an hour. At first I was getting small red bumps, but gradually they're fading (maybe all the gunk is being pulled to the surface?) and the condition of my pores has improved SO MUCH!! They really look smaller, and definitely lighter. I do experience a bit of stinging at first, but it's not too bad. If you have sensitive skin, this mask may be too harsh. I got it in one of the awesome sales at the Body Shop, so it's also very inexpensive for the amount you get!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Rubyruby78

I have very oily skin, acne prone and in the summertime I cannot stand all this eccess oil, so I was in search for a really clearifying mask and I thought I could give a try to this one. It is a clay mask with an earthy smell, easy to apply. I use it twice a week for about a month and I love it! I use to have small pimples on my forehead but just the other day I realized that they are almost gone! I wouldn't recomend it though if you have sensitive skin because ,as others have already said, it can be very stripping.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2014 5:39:00 PM More reviews by Angelcake92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I find this quite uncomfortable to use, it leaves my skin red and sensitive afterwards, sometimes even bumpy. Maybe it is too harsh for me. I cant say I have noticed it making a difference either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2014 6:30:00 PM More reviews by DoraZ

I'm a HUGE fan of this mask, I use it once a week, sometimes every two weeks if I have a particularly busy weekend. I have combination skin, a very oily T-Zone and dry patches on my cheeks and I find that regular use of this product helps keep my face clear of breakouts and flaky skin. During the week I usually clean my face with Dove Beauty Bar and I moisturize with CereVe products (their night cream, SPF face cream and their undereye cream). When I do my facial, lately I've been using products from TBS's Seaweed line. I'll wash my face with the face wash, exfoliate with the facial exfoliator (and a washrag) and then I'll apply the Ionic Clay Mask. Sometimes before I apply the mask I will steam my face and apply TBS's Tea Tree Oil directly to my T-Zone if it's summer-time or my face has been particularly broken out or oily. Now, this mask can get pretty dry in the tub, I just make sure my face is still slightly damp and adding a little warm water while I'm applying it makes application simple and easy. I agree with the other reviewers, this does tend to sting a little, especially on the more sensitive areas around my nose and around my eyes. But it's not unbearable and the stinging usually goes away within a few minutes. I tend to apply it mainly on my T-Zone and more lightly on the cheek and jawline areas. I leave the mask on for about 10 to 15 minutes or completely dry and then rinse off and immediately follow with my CereVe PM moisturizer. Overall this product gets 2 thumbs up for me, I've purchased it several times and will continue to keep this in my regular facecare routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 8:00:00 PM More reviews by TrueHysteria

I surprised because of so many bad reviews on this product. To be honest, I admitted that this product burn your cheek when you apply it and feel rash when you wash it off. Terrible right?
- But it is an amazing product use to clear your nose's blackheads, I usually apply it on my nose only and sometimes my forehead if I want to really clear the dirt and oil on my T- zone. But however, I always use this together with the tea free mask, this clay mask on the nose and the tea free mask on the cheeks. It does amazing job on clearing your blackheads if you're looking for a product that really works for stubborn blackheads and clear oil, try this. I have combination/oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2014 4:59:00 AM More reviews by ChristmasElf1997

First off, the packaging itself is fantastic; easy to open with the screw top lid and easy to store. It's a pain to have to use fingers for application, as the clay dries quickly on fingers and thus results in a waste of quite a lot of the clay.

I would not recommend this mask to those who do not have time for a full 20 minute drying period plus shower and post-wash application, as all are necessary for the best results. The mask essentially dries out the face of all oils including good oils, and unless moisture is restored, the skin will produce more oils and result in breakouts.

I have used this product maybe 5 times but so far have not stuck to a routine of it, however, will aim to use it once a week as other reviews have suggested. I put on a fairly thin layer of the mask and left to dry for 20 minutes. Washed off in the face by gently rubbing in circles under hot water. Mask comes off quickly and easily; another bonus.

The mask does not clear up skin immediately; as other reviews have confirmed, I would suspect it takes a few uses in a regular routine to make massive improvements to skin. As the oils are drawn to the surface of the skin with the mask, a few whiteheads did appear but clear up quickly with whatever acne method you use. Initial redness in T-zone as acne inflamed, but calmed down with application of cold cloth (to close pores which open up in heat).

After shower, I dabbed at my face with a cold damp cloth to close the pores so that excess dirt does not enter pores, then applied The Body Shop Seaweed Pore Perfector followed by The Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Lotion to remoisturise (seaweed products are recommended by The Body Shop for combination/oily skin like mine). Though acne has not cleared up fully, skin is glowing, soft, colour is regular and pores tightened.

Very pricey as with all products from The Body Shop, but there are at least 10 uses in the jar so well worth the price, as one jar would clear up face nicely. Would not recommend if the product is not ideal to your skin type - mask stings slightly so with sensitive skin or very dry skin, would be incredibly painful and do more harm than good. Also designed to combat some oil, but even then does not fully dry out skin, so would not work well on very oily skin. Check your skin type with The Body Shop before purchasing, as it is very expensive and not worth the money if incompatible.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Justagirl78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this when The Body Shop were offering 50% off everything with free delivery and have used it 3 times (use it once a week). So far, I'm very happy with it - it's definitely deep cleansing and my skin really tingles once the mask has been applied. It's not uncomfortable but I'd imagine it would sting if you have sensitive skin.

I feel this does a great job at removing excess oil from the pores and I can see, once the mask has dried, that there are tiny spots all over my nose and forehead where the oil has been sucked out.

My skin feels amazing after I remove the mask - glowing and smooth and I've noticed a tiny improvement in the visibility of my pores but not a great deal. However, I have genetics to thank for that so as long as I can keep my pores cleansed and free of gunk, I'm happy.

I've only given 3 lippies for the price and I doubt I'd repurchase this at the full price but next time there is a 50% sale I'll definitely stock up!