October 26, 2014 | 1054 users online

Crème - Etude - BB Magic Balm SPF30/PA++

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 2:26:00 AM More reviews by cocoabash

Yeah, you really have to have someone show you how to warm it on your skin/tap it. Makes a humongous difference. I tried it by myself and it looked SO bad, but then the SA came over and showed me how to apply it properly and it looked lovely. Perfect for NYC weather.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2012 12:53:00 AM More reviews by wingcharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this BB cream because I thought it is more moisturizing and would blend well on my face since it is more of a cream based than a liquid based product. It even has a nice brush for better application. However when I apply it, it leaves a pasty consistency on my face and shows flaky dry skin on my nose and forehead. I tried moisturising and exfoliating my face but the same result happens when I use this product. I have a fair skin but its color looks so unnatural and too light for me. I've tried other BB creams and it doesn't dry my skin. However all of them leaves a too light tint on my face. This BB cream is quite expensive so now I'm afraid to try other BB creams. Better go back to my Wet n' Wild Tinted moisturizer.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2010 5:45:00 AM More reviews by pandaxen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I saw this when it just launched, and after being persuaded by the SA and tempted by its many benefits listed, I caved in. This BB Cream comes in a jar with a lid and a pretty brush too and the SA taught me how to apply it to achieve a natural look. She brushed the BB cream in crisscross (like an "X" but in one direction-downwards) instead of one direction which would make the user appear cakey and pasty.

This BB Cream does give excellent coverage but it has a weird-ish smell but I kinda like it.. sorta like clean manufactured plastic. I was assured the colour would blend with my skintone after a while but it didnt! When I wear it, my complexion looks flawless but you can tell that it is not natural. I tried patting darker loose powder over it to balance the colour out but it didnt work. Eventually I gave up and just gave it to my mum who is fairer than me. This BB Cream would be great for someone who is fair and looking for coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2010 7:46:00 PM More reviews by blackmumboe

This was one of my first Etude House products and I bought it after hearing some bloggers rave about its coverage on the internet. So basically the BB Balm is like a BB Cream, only with a much thicker consistency and with fuller coverage as compared to the regular BB Creams which usually offer sheer to medium coverage. The packaging includes an applicator brush but I usually use a foundation brush with this product.

One of the first things I notice is how the product smells. It has this artificial, 'plastic' smell (like plastic toys) and that wasn't pleasant at all. Overlooking that, the balm comes in a rather thick cream. Upon application, it glides on smoothly although I would suggest using a light hand as too much product can make a warm skinned lad like me look pasty. It only comes in one color and I find that it'll definitely suit fairer tones better than warmer tones. I set it with a regular compact, also from Etude House but I was quite disappointed with the result. It takes quite a bit of blending to achieve a flawless effect as the product is of a thicker consistency. Also, I find that it has terrible oil control because I find myself oily after about 2 hours despite being in an air-conditioned environment. I have combi-oily skin and so this, not made me look pasty, but perpetually shiny and reason being that this product contains mineral oil as one of its ingredients.

I'm not sensitive to mineral oil but I couldn't help but wonder if this was the reason I kept secreting (sorry for sounding disgusting) oil. I have tried this product under an oil controlling primer and compact and while it fared slightly better, I couldn't get over how pasty I looked despite exhaustive blending. I wouldn't be repurchasing it again and would definitely not recommend this to girls with oily skin. I paid USD$26 for it in the Etude House store in my country, which is very jacked up as I saw this product for half the price on gmarket. You can also try ebay.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2010 6:20:00 AM More reviews by veniceclaire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is my first BB cream and I have to say that I am truly impressed. The color is a bit scary when first applied but as one reviewer has said, the balm's color will adjust to the color of your skin-tone, it is light-weight and has very good coverage. This balm/foundation gives me a fresh finish that goes on well even after 8-hours. One thing I do not like though is its packaging making it prone to contamination.

Edit: does not really work well in humid temperature. This is a Korean product, a product specifically produced for cool weather hence will not work really well in humid countries like the Philippines. After several use, this product gave me a bad case of acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2009 11:08:00 PM More reviews by evangelz

I feel compelled to write a review on this as the user below me seems to be reviewing the wrong product as Etude has NEVER produced or released any sample size or minis for this particular one. This has never appeared in tube form and it comes in a cylindrical tub with a free foundation blush which is so soft and blends reasonably well. I was never a fan for gwp brushes as I am a brush snob and have like 25 -30 Mac Full-sized brushes and growing. I don't even use the 213se that comes in holiday palettes. I have to say I can actually use this brush!

I have tried many many bb creams and I dare say this is the best one in terms of consistancy and coverage. No other korean brands seem to have made bb creams in balm form. This is so moisturising for me. If you have very oily skin, I would recommend Coogi fowertox but for Normal to Dry skin, THIS is BB cream heaven! It covers as well as a creme foundation yet remains translucent with no heaviness on your skin. I am NC15 but due to the translucent colour, it works great for my colleague, NC25, acne prone ( Yes, she bought it after seeing it on me and she is on to her 2nd tub now) For reference, I have dry skin that is highly resistant to acne and often flakes easily with matifying bb creams from skin79 or Coogi Flowertox.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/1/2009 7:36:00 PM More reviews by amwong

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm an NC30 and I bought this on ebay for about CDN $12.

It comes in a tube with a pump at the end. I find that sort of strange and unnecessary, especially since so much product is wasted inside the pump. The colour is perfect - absolutely a perfect match but the coverage is more sheer than medium. I had to finish off with concealer since it didn't really do much in terms of covering up acne scars.

My biggest complaint (unfortunately) is the lack of oil control. I have combo skin with an oily T-zone and usually have to blot every 3 hours. After using this, I ended up blotting every 2 hours - it was horribly shiny on my nose and forehead even though I was just shopping indoors. PLUS this was the version specifically created for oily skin so I thought it would be more matte or something. Wrong!

I don't think i'll be buying this again since there are so many other BB creams with better coverage and far superior oil control.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2009 10:08:00 PM More reviews by chi77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, I'm finally getting it right. I've updated this review 4 times! I went to the store and got the SA to show me how to use this balm. Sweep the balm across the face with the brush in an outward direction from the t-zone. Once the balm is set and the color has aligned to your skintone, use a foundation sponge to dab off the excess (you can get this from the Etude store). You will get a porcelain appearance that lasts all day. You can choose to use a powder on top or just go without it.**UPDATE - this is entirely upto you but I find that using my fingers to warm the balm and tap onto my face is the best way to get a lasting hold that won't cause any oily breakthrough or mess. The skin appears smooth and fresh all day.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No