January 26, 2015 | 1930 users online

Hair Styling Tools - InStyler-Tre Milano brand

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2015 2:21:00 PM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I currently have medium-long, thick, hair which is all one length. It's naturally slightly wavy, but at its current length and with no layers, it tends to just get frizzy and bushy instead of wavy. As I'm really not a fan of flat irons, and this tool claims to straighten as well as curl, I thought I'd try it.

This doesn't really do what I'd call straightening. Straightened hair tends to look like it's actually been ironed. It's flat, sleek, and smooth. This tool does tame my frizzies quite nicely, but it doesn't give that flat ironed look. There's much more volume with this than with a flat iron. That, in fact, suits my taste and preferences perfectly, so I'm happy with this for getting rid of frizzies.

As for curling... I don't know. I can't work it out. I've been using curling irons, hot rollers, regular rollers, and all sorts of other hair appliances for 35+ years now, but I can't seem to get the twirl to make a curl with this thing. I can use a clipless curling wand perfectly, no problem, but this? Nup. Have reviewed a number of websites and I don't even know how many YouTube videos trying to figure it out, and I just cannot manage to get the twirling motion needed to use this as a curler. Well, on a couple of occasions I've managed to get a bit of a curl going, but any curls I do manage to get don't last long, sadly. So as a curler, I have to say this is pretty useless for me. I know some people absolutely love it and can make amazing beachy waves and who knows what else, but I just can't seem to get it, sadly.

So, for me, there's no way this is worth the full asking price. It's okay to get rid of frizzies and does a good job of that, but that's all I really use it for, and it's actually not my favourite tool for doing that, mostly because this, with the rotating motor, is on the noisy side (my favourite tool for smoothing my hair is an ionic heated round brush). This is an okay tool, and I'm not sorry I bought it, but I'm glad I got it second hand on eBay rather than paying full price for it new. If I had paid the full price, I think I'd feel ripped off. It's a decent tool, and I may even one day work out how to do waves/curls with it (I'm going to keep trying!), but like all products from this company, it's way overpriced and somewhat overhyped.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 5:16:00 PM More reviews by thereisalwayshope

So far so good! I use this tool to flip my hair in towards my neck and it does a good job. I think it is also less damaging than using a straightener to do the same, as it does not have two scolding plates touching my hair at the same time. However, only time will tell. I will update in a month in regards to the degree of hair damage my hair will have.

UPDATE: Still use and adore this tool. It is my go to everyday styler. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to control their hair with less damage. I got mine from Ulta on sale and used their 20% off coupon that comes out every so often. So totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by daty

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by spearmintstars

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After only a few uses, The rotating brush got choppy. It would spin, but want to stall, slow down and simply didn't work well. It's overpriced, bulky, and doesn't work for long.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2014 10:10:00 AM More reviews by lcheramie1212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just purchased the InStyler Wet 2 Dry and tried it for the first time last night and again this morning. So far I am LOVING it. My hair is naturally fine (but I have a LOT of it), wavy, and very frizzy. So to be able to do the cute straight, but with some volume and/or curl at the ends, I would have to blow dry it, flat iron just the top (to fight the firzzies) and curl the bottom. I've tried to curl the ends with my flat iron and I am just not capable apparently. So when I saw that this thing was on sale at Target for $89 with a $20 Gift Card, I decided to try it out. To start, I just towel dried my hair, applied a heat protectant spray and sectioned it up in a clip. I honestly was preparing myself for the worst due such mixed reviews and my hair being almost impossible to smooth without just crushing it completely flat, but I was amazed at how well it worked. You have to go over each piece slowly twice, once to dry and once to style (obviously if you're starting with dry hair, you won't need to do it twice). When I read that in the directions I thought this would be a LONG process but considering that you are completely wiping out the blow drying session and you can take surprisingly big sections at one time (nothing too crazy but bigger than I expected) it was not too bad at all. You can do it straight, with a slight curl under or out (I couldn't really get the curl under to do that well, maybe because the barrel spins in the opposite direction of your hair??) so that is a slight downside but i generally like my hair to curl away from my face so it's okay for me, or you can actually twist the hair around the barrel itself to do the loose waves. The best part to me is how smooth it made my hair! And I got a TON of compliments on it! One thing I will say is that it does get VERY hot, which personally is great for me, but I can see how it may be easy to get small burns on your fingers, forehead, ears, etc. with the open barrel. It does come with a "training guard" for that though. LONG story short, if you follow the directions and just try it a couple of times to get the hang of it (also watch quite a few YouTube videos LOL) it is an AWESOME tool!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by dlbd2k06

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love my InStyler. I have fine, fairly straight hair that is very processed so it tends to be frizzy. This gives me straight, ultra smooth hair in about 5 minutes. I just rough dry thoroughly and then run the InStyler through my hair. I get way better results than with a flat iron, they make my hair too flat and limp looking. This gives a little volume instead of just ironing my hair. There is a little bit of a learning curve, it took me three or four times to get used to using it and I also burned myself the first few times. If mine ever got lost or broken, I would buy another one immediately.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/18/2013 2:01:00 PM More reviews by Pamxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

NOT for curly hair. First time I used it my hair felt soft and shiny but now that i tried other stuff i know it's really not the best. Takes almost twice the time as one of my good flat iron and the result is not that great. Also, it makes a noise and i feel like it got louder and louder every time i used it. If you have light curls/wavy/straight hair and IF this really is less damaging (as they say) then i guess it's a good option.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/15/2013 7:24:00 AM More reviews by Christicat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Used it maybe 10 times and the motor quit. Total waste of money. I threw it in the trash!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by vwbenzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This thing is SO LOUD! It also pulls out random hair strands from the root as it spins. I bought 2 for 1 and ended up swapping each of them away. I'm glad I and some other MUAers got to try it out, but I only think this would be acceptable to use for short bangs. I always found a thick birds nest of hair on the floor after using this. If I were to use it frequently on my long hair, I would lose a lot of volume. Thumbs down.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by HinataSama

This styler is utter crap. At least on my hair. I have hip length hair that is wavy and very prone to frizzing. This made my hair a birds nest.

It was so frizzy and hideous. My hair is healthy by the way. No colouring, no split ends, not heat damage (before i used this terrible thing).

Don't waste money on this crap. There a reason why its only 3.7/5. Because half of the good reviews ARE NOT HONEST reviews. I got sent an email, that they would send me this product if i did a GOOD review on it and tell everyone how magical this piece of shit is. I'm returning this back to the company tomorrow. DON'T BUY IT. SAVE UP AND BUY A GHD. THE GHD ECLIPSE IS COMING OUT SOON IN THE US. IT IS AMAZING. (i live in australia, i have one it is awesome).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No