InStyler-Tre Milano brand

3.7

on 3/21/2015 12:31:00 AM

SERIOUSLY this hair styler changed the way I do my hair for the rest of my life. I could never figure out a way to blow dry my hair voluminous and bouncy like the hairdresser, and so I bought this. Best decision of my life. It is so easy to use and makes my hair look blow dried perfect. My hair is naturally wavy and very thick and I have no issues with this tool.

on 1/22/2015 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

When I first got this, my medium-long, thick, slightly wavy hair was all one length. Since it tends to get frizzy and I'm not the biggest fan of flat irons, I decided to give this a try.

This doesn't really do what I'd call straightening. Straightened hair tends to look like it's actually been ironed. It's flat, sleek, and smooth. This tool did tame my frizzies and fly-aways pretty nicely, but it doesn't give that flat ironed look. There's much more volume with this than with a flat iron. So if that's the look you want, i.e. reasonably smooth but with lots of volume, definitely give this a try. If you're looking for actual straightening, you're probably better off with a proper flat iron.

Since I got this, I got my hair cut. Had some of the length taken off, though it's still past my shoulders, and I had textured layers put throughout. And now, this product isn't that useful to me, unfortunately. The layers make my hair much less prone to frizzing up (the layers curl instead; when the hair is long, the weight prevents the curling and just gets frizzy-puffy), so I don't need this for that, and, as I have never managed to get the "curling" aspect of this device to work for me, I can't use it to shape the layers (and I have the 1.25"/32mm version and the barrel is too big to do much for the shorter layers).

I've been using curling irons, hot rollers, regular rollers, and all sorts of other hair appliances for 35+ years now, but I just cannot seem to get the twirling motion needed to make a curl with this thing. I can use a clipless curling wand perfectly, no problem, so I definitely know how to wrap the hair, but this? Nup. Can't get a curl with it. Have reviewed a number of websites and I don't even know how many YouTube videos trying to figure it out, and it's just not happening. Well, actually, on a couple of occasions I've managed to get a bit of a curl going, but any curls or waves I do manage to get don't last long, sadly. So as a curler, I have to say this is pretty useless for me. I know some people absolutely love it and can make amazing beachy waves and who knows what else, but I just can't seem to get it, sadly.

So, for me, there's no way this is worth the full asking price. It's okay to get rid of frizzies and does a reasonably good job of that, but that's all I really used it for, and it's actually not my favourite tool for doing that, mostly because this, with the rotating motor, is on the noisy side (my favourite tool for smoothing my hair is an ionic heated round brush). This is an okay tool, but I'm glad I got it second hand on eBay rather than paying full price for it new. If I had paid the full price, I'd feel really ripped off. I may, one day, work out how to do waves/curls with it (I'm going to keep trying!), but like all products from this company, it's way overpriced and somewhat overhyped.

So far so good! I use this tool to flip my hair in towards my neck and it does a good job. I think it is also less damaging than using a straightener to do the same, as it does not have two scolding plates touching my hair at the same time. However, only time will tell. I will update in a month in regards to the degree of hair damage my hair will have.

UPDATE: Still use and adore this tool. It is my go to everyday styler. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to control their hair with less damage. I got mine from Ulta on sale and used their 20% off coupon that comes out every so often. So totally worth it.

on 5/30/2014 6:47:00 PM

After only a few uses, The rotating brush got choppy. It would spin, but want to stall, slow down and simply didn't work well. It's overpriced, bulky, and doesn't work for long.

I just purchased the InStyler Wet 2 Dry and tried it for the first time last night and again this morning. So far I am LOVING it. My hair is naturally fine (but I have a LOT of it), wavy, and very frizzy. So to be able to do the cute straight, but with some volume and/or curl at the ends, I would have to blow dry it, flat iron just the top (to fight the firzzies) and curl the bottom. I've tried to curl the ends with my flat iron and I am just not capable apparently. So when I saw that this thing was on sale at Target for $89 with a $20 Gift Card, I decided to try it out. To start, I just towel dried my hair, applied a heat protectant spray and sectioned it up in a clip. I honestly was preparing myself for the worst due such mixed reviews and my hair being almost impossible to smooth without just crushing it completely flat, but I was amazed at how well it worked. You have to go over each piece slowly twice, once to dry and once to style (obviously if you're starting with dry hair, you won't need to do it twice). When I read that in the directions I thought this would be a LONG process but considering that you are completely wiping out the blow drying session and you can take surprisingly big sections at one time (nothing too crazy but bigger than I expected) it was not too bad at all. You can do it straight, with a slight curl under or out (I couldn't really get the curl under to do that well, maybe because the barrel spins in the opposite direction of your hair??) so that is a slight downside but i generally like my hair to curl away from my face so it's okay for me, or you can actually twist the hair around the barrel itself to do the loose waves. The best part to me is how smooth it made my hair! And I got a TON of compliments on it! One thing I will say is that it does get VERY hot, which personally is great for me, but I can see how it may be easy to get small burns on your fingers, forehead, ears, etc. with the open barrel. It does come with a "training guard" for that though. LONG story short, if you follow the directions and just try it a couple of times to get the hang of it (also watch quite a few YouTube videos LOL) it is an AWESOME tool!!!

on 2/12/2014 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I absolutely love my InStyler. I have fine, fairly straight hair that is very processed so it tends to be frizzy. This gives me straight, ultra smooth hair in about 5 minutes. I just rough dry thoroughly and then run the InStyler through my hair. I get way better results than with a flat iron, they make my hair too flat and limp looking. This gives a little volume instead of just ironing my hair. There is a little bit of a learning curve, it took me three or four times to get used to using it and I also burned myself the first few times. If mine ever got lost or broken, I would buy another one immediately.

on 12/18/2013 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

NOT for curly hair. First time I used it my hair felt soft and shiny but now that i tried other stuff i know it's really not the best. Takes almost twice the time as one of my good flat iron and the result is not that great. Also, it makes a noise and i feel like it got louder and louder every time i used it. If you have light curls/wavy/straight hair and IF this really is less damaging (as they say) then i guess it's a good option.

on 12/15/2013 7:24:00 AM

Used it maybe 10 times and the motor quit. Total waste of money. I threw it in the trash!

on 11/6/2013 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This thing is SO LOUD! It also pulls out random hair strands from the root as it spins. I bought 2 for 1 and ended up swapping each of them away. I'm glad I and some other MUAers got to try it out, but I only think this would be acceptable to use for short bangs. I always found a thick birds nest of hair on the floor after using this. If I were to use it frequently on my long hair, I would lose a lot of volume. Thumbs down.

Video Reviews & Tutorials