April 17, 2014 | 1607 users online

Sunscreen - Coppertone - Coppertone Water Babies Pure and Simple, Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2014 6:56:00 PM More reviews by lizzbear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So after reading the negative reviews on this product, I realize I'm the minority in that this sunscreen broke me out big time. I only used it for about 4 days on my face, neck, and chest before getting my first breakouts. The breakouts are still coming in strong or perhaps even stronger and it's been at least a week and a half since I've worn it last. I'm positive that this product is what is causing my breakouts because it's happening exclusively on my face, neck, and chest....and I have NEVER broke out on my neck before. It's also the only thing I've done differently in my routine. I'm not sure if it's because like other reviewers said that it's difficult to remove and maybe I had some residual on my face, but I always use makeup remover, scrub my face with the Salux cloth, and wash with a cleanser...it's just my normal routine.

I will still talk about the other aspects of this sunscreen though. I really thought my biggest issue with this was going to be the white cast that a bunch of reviewers commented on. I really didn't think it was too bad once I rubbed it in well, and to be honest I thought it made a great base for my makeup. It kind of gave my face a brightened look lol. Also, I'm really oily and this sunscreen kept my face matte longer than usual and kept my makeup in place for many hours. So had it not broke me out so badly, I would have loved this product. Just be wary if you are prone to breakouts though because it's so not worth having cystic acne! I hadn't broken out in years before using this. I can't speak for how well it protected me from the sun and/or getting more freckles since I didn't use it long enough to find out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by meggan808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has been my favorite body sunscreen for years. It doesn't leave any noticeable white cast on me, but I'm pretty pale anyway. It does take awhile (20-30 min.) to dry down, but after that, I find that it stays put very well. It leaves a slightly tacky/greasy finish, but nothing too terrible, in my opinion. I used this on my face for years without problems as well; I'm moderately acne/clog-prone, and this never bothered my skin. I'm slightly oily, so it's a bit thick and shiny for my liking, but a primer fixed the shine for me. It's very protective and water-resistant, in my experience. I've never burned (which happens to me quite easily if I don't wear a good sunscreen) or tanned while wearing this. SO and I, who are both really pale, even wore it on spring break in Nicaragua last year, and despite being out in the sun and ocean nearly all day every day for over a week, neither of us ended up with any color at all. It could have a more cosmetically elegant finish, but it's not really meant as an everyday sunscreen, it's designed for children who generally do not care about such things, and it's a super great value; so, I really don't mind the finish. Have bought over and over and will continue to do so.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2013 9:21:00 PM More reviews by ariraven

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I applied this before going to an amusement park so I knew I would be spending a full day in the hot sun. It applied thickly and was kind of a pain to rub it. I didn't mind the white cast, however the product states it is water resistant which I totally disagree with. Within 30 mins of applying this product I was sweating and it was beading up on my skin. I had white lines in my elbow bends and the sweat beads were a milky white ( sorry if TMI) Needless to say I got burned with an hour because of the product coming off.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2013 10:24:00 AM More reviews by Oliviamata

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm starting to protect my skin with sunscreen and picked this up. I think it's amazing it does not irritate my skin or make me break out. I mix it with my moisturizer and it is perfect. Doesn't make me oily and rubs in really well. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by HappyBunny2

I was looking for a drugstore mineral sunscreen (no oxybenzone) and found this one. It turned me white and didn't rub in (I'm asian) and then when I sweated, the white showed up even more. I could've dealt with that, because it's just doing it's job by providing a protective layer on my skin, but I got more burned, had red bumps (pimples?) on my chest and back, and even after I showered, I could still smell and feel the product on me.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2012 9:48:00 AM More reviews by saturninus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What a thick, gloppy, white mess. No matter how much I rubbed this in, I still felt white and sticky. Considering that I am an NW10, that's saying a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2012 12:59:00 AM More reviews by i3u2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Even though I have a problem with the white cast it leaves behind and I do not favor the scent. This is one of the only sunblocks I have used while being in the sun for 3+ hours that leaves me sunburn free.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2012 4:58:00 PM More reviews by kaldkald

It's nice that this has a good score on the Skin Deep database, but the somehwat greasy formula really broke out my chest (which is, granted, very prone to break-outs). Also, it did not protect that area 100% from sunburn. With a couple of hours of direct summer sun exposure, I got some color.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

I give this suncreen a 3. It's okay, not bad;good in fact, but not the ultimate best.

Let's start with the packaging. I normally don't judge a product by how it's packaged but this one deserves comment. The packaging is pretty crappy(i gave it a 2). The bottle is pink, with a blue labeled strip across it and a blue flip top cap. The hole for this sunscreen to come out is dead in the center of the cap, and since it's oval shaped it's awkward to get the ss out without getting it on the bottle or elsewhere unless you have this product inverted directly pointing down. Because the product is so liquidy(is that even a word?) it'll get around the cap a lot. the cap (the entire cap) comes off easily, so i dont know how well this would travel, honestly i'd expect it to get everywhere if it's not shut properly and securely.
Anyway onto the product, its a very liquid lotion, easily rubbed into the skin. Although it has no added fragrance, it has that traditional coppertone scent. i kinda like it. It reminds *me* of the beach and youthful sun activities. it contains a few silicones to make it water resistant, so it's good for being in the water, but make sure that if you use this on your face that none of the ingredients are triggers for your acne and that you properly remove this at the end of the day. It contains zinc oxide (a hefty amount 14.5% and octisalate 5% and octionxate 7.5% for UVB protection, you will likely not burn if you wear the proper amount of this, but getting color who knows . the zinc is the only form of UVA protection and ss simulator rates this about PPD 8.5) The sunscreen as i already mentioned, is easily rubbed into the skin but it leaves a heavy white cast if used in the proper amount, and fades about 30 minutes later to a slight white cast, so it needs some work on coppertone's part, but hey it's marketed toward children who generally don't really care about cosmetic elegance. i must comment that the white cast is far less than what shiseido's cream--see my review on that-- leaves (geisha mask) It never fully dries down either, to feel like bare skin, so leave your sweaters, cardigans, and pants at home if you wear this but it's passable though. The rub off on clothes isnt colored but more like greasy slightly filmy. kind of like if you put too much lotion on. It gives decent protection but not the best. I would probably make this my everyday ss it's easy to wear this summer, since im in shorts and a shirt all day anyway. or "last minute run-out-the-door sunscreen" if i forgot my more protective lrp dermo peds(god forbid). or my share-with-others sunscreen at the beach . For a day out or a day at the beach i would use this on others but maybe not me, i'm extremely sun phobic and sensitive to the sun, i will not go outside without sunscreen, and hate getting color, so naturally i look for the most protective sunscreen i can get. so i use lrp dermo peds(for beach only) with a ppd of 39, compared to 8.5 with this. i digress
It's very affordable, you get 8oz for about 10 bucks full retail, if you shop around at discount stores like wal-mart or other stores when they have sales you might be able to get this for 8 or 9. definitely affordable compared to paying 20 for 3oz of bioderma or 35 for 1.5oz of japanese ss. I haven't tried this on my face yet but i might, the reason i dont is because my face ss is already very protective.
Overall thoughts, decent protection, good for US, but not great (compared to euro ss). The finish needs work as do most ss. Very affordable so you don't cringe when you use this liberally. I'll make this my everyday lounge ss for body until i find something better. Definitely will repurchase and would recommend to others looking for a good zinc ss. Oh btw to remove this (and any ss on my body) i use eucerin shower oil

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by newman

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

There is no perfect sunscreen out there yet, either it is too white, too oily, or it has alcohol in it! That's why my rating for this one s still a 5. I have been using Coppertone Water Babies Pure and Simple for 2 years. I first saw it in the US and when I read the ingredient list, I bought it. This sunscreen protects really well and is cheap. I also use it on my face (mostly on weekends when I'm out all day). When you apply it, it leaves your face really white - I always apply a generous amount - and you can only hope that nobody rings the doorbell. The trick is that you must give it time to absorb, this takes about 30 min. All sunscreens should be applied 30 min prior to going outside. Once it is absorbed, I dust a bit of Physicians Formula Healthy Skin SPF 50 powder on my face and I am good to go. I will purchase this forever or until a miracle physical sunscreen comes out that takes 1 minute to absorb . Coppertone, you should make this product available in Canada!