Wella Color Charm White Lady Toner

on 6/16/2015 10:27:00 PM

It did the job. Just make sure you follow the directions to a T. I found out the hard way that if you use higher than 20 developer nothing will change and if you use less than 20/no lift developer it will turn your hair dark grey. Also I only needed it to sit for 10 mins to get to white/no yellow.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

WARNING: If you have highlights and some parts of your hair are brown or darker blonde, DO NOT use this with 20 vol. developer. Use 10 volume. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to tone almost-perfect highlights, only to end up with a mix of pale blonde and orange because the 20 volume lifted the pigment on my darker hair. I think 20 vol. only works if you have bleached all over.

I actually don't like this stuff even with 10 vol. or when my hair is bleached all over. Bleached hair is porous, and my porous ends always end up absorbing way more than my less porous roots, making my color uneven. I prefer Clairol Colorgloss as a toner.

on 5/22/2015 9:00:00 AM

I get my hair professionally highlighted a very, very light blonde. I wanted to take some of the brassiness out of my roots and I heard good things about White Lady (aka T18). I tried it with a 20 volume developer and left it on about 10 minutes. And (just my luck!) it turned greyish-purple. I was horrified. I read somewhere online that Dawn dishwashing soap might take the purple out so I mixed Dawn with some clarifying shampoo (Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo) and washed my hair about 4 times. Washed, rinsed, washed, rinsed, and so on. Got out of the shower and to my relief, the purple was gone and the grey had almost faded out too. I'm sure in a couple days of the same process, it will be pretty much back to normal. Just some advice for anyone who is in a panic that White Lady ruined their hair! Also, the toner damaged my hair so badly, clumps of it were coming out in the brush. NOT cool.

on 5/12/2015 5:35:00 PM

I use a light and medium ash blonde box color mixed with light blonde highlights on my natural dark blonde hair. It tends to go too gold after a while so this is a great help in between coloring. I mix it with 20 volume developer and leave on 10 minutes. It not only cools it down to a nice beige lo de but somehow blends in my roots to get me through until I do a touch up or whole head color. Love this stuff. I've tried several of the shades and all seem to work very well but this one is a favorite. I've never had any issues using these toners.

on 5/11/2015 11:57:00 PM

Not for brown hair/brunettes!
I have a subtle light ash brown ombre (level 5) with blond highlights (level 8) salon dye job that I did 6 months ago with about 2-3 inches of growth of virgin hair. My natural hair color is dark brown (level 3). Actually I should say I HAD a light ash brown ombre – about a couple months after my salon visit, my hair was getting brassier and brassier and purple toning shampoo wasn’t doing much to help, so I wanted to do a little more heavy toning. I went to Sally’s initially intending on getting 10 volume developer with the Wella T14 toner. The Sally’s staff member recommended that I get the 20 volume developer, even after I emphasized I didn’t want to go any lighter, because she was concerned the toner wouldn’t do anything so that’s what I ended up with. I put the toner & 20 vol developer in my hair, as per Wella’s instructions, and left it in for 20 minutes. Unfortunately, my virgin hair lightened to a yucky reddish orange. This wouldn’t be so bad if my light ash brown/blond toned well, but unfortunately it didn’t get much of the brassiness out there either. Before doing this process, I tried to do as much research as possible, but I just couldn’t find many reviews for using this toner on brown hair. So to you brunettes – take caution!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Let me start off by saying, I have no clue why this doesn't have 5 lippies from everyone, there is absolutely no reason why people couldn't have gotten perfect results from this. Just a tip to those who said this "did absolutely nothing" must be very very inexperienced with color, and how to read the color wheel. Now with that being said, let me tell you all how magnificent this stuff is.

About 2 months ago, I went to a hair dresser, and asked for blonde hair (my hair was solid black all over, and I had re colored my hair from platinum to black about 4 times) when I asked for blonde, she laughed at me and asked if I was crazy. I let her weave in foils all throughout my hair, as an attempt to "lighten", but I just came out of the salon $100 dollars later, and with orange and red highlights (and this was after she applied 2 toners) out of pure anger, and fear of showing up to work the next day with tri colored hair, I stayed up for 9 hours straight, bleached my hair 3 times, and fried the absolute crap out of my healthy hair. (I am a perfectionist when it comes to color) I don't like an orange, red, or brassy tones in my hair, so I bleached it until I couldn't bleach any more. Long story short, my hair would not lift past red/orange and this was after 3 bleach sessions in one single night. I freaked out, so I ran to Sally's and grabbed the T18, and oh boy, did it save my ugly, unnatural hair color. I used 2 bottles, and 20 developer because I have super long, super thick hair. My hair turned out a beautiful beige blonde, and saved me from embarrassment at the office.

Ladies, please, take it from me.. If you bleach your hair from a very dark color, or if you have layered color after color after color.. Just know, that it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get red out of hair. Our hair is made up of natural red and cool undertones, so please, when in doubt, BUY A TONER! Don't be stubborn like me and bleach 3 sessions in one sitting, just to get the red/orange out. Toner is made, so that your hair looks natural, instead of unnatural color screw ups. I really hope this helped you guys.

on 3/7/2015 2:01:00 PM

I have been getting my hair highlighted for the past 2 months or so, trying to go from dark hair to blonde. I liked the lightness/look of the highlights, but was not a fan of the warmth. Being a broke grad student, I didn't want to go to the salon and pay a bajillion dollars for a fix. After much research and many hours of watching youtube tutorials, I finally went for it and bought the T18. Used 20 v developer and put it on my hair for only 5 minutes (because I was paranoid), and it made a HUGE difference. I wish I had left it on longer, because there is still some oranginess/yellowness but it is 500% better. Will definitely use it again. Highly recommend.

on 2/17/2015 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This takes my hair white after bleaching to pale yellow in less than 10 minutes. I have a platinum pixie and I only use half a bottle each time. I will never be without.

on 1/15/2015 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

After I bleached my hair the first time in over 3 yrs I used this as recommended by the sallys girl. She said it could bring it to a white white and maybe a tiny bit purple. I was excited and tried it out. It's great as a toner to take out the yellow. I bleacher from a natural dark chocolate/black brown color to a light pale yellow/golden. I did bleach it again to make sure the toner got its job done and it took the yellows out now was it white white. Meh it was as white as I could get it. I loved how it looked as it turned purple in my hair while it was on but after rinsing it out it made it look just very very very very pale blond which I didn't mind. After using this I went to wella t14 which gave me the right shade of white I wanted but if you want white from dark hair I recommend this toner first then the t14. I'm not sure how it would look if you mixed both but iv read it can work well mixing both. But this is a good product.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I love this product!
I had dark brown hair 2 months ago and decided I wanted to go platinum blonde. I knew it would take more than one step to get there.
The first was to lighten it to a very light brown/dark dark blonde, anywhere in that range. It was a success.
I kept it that color for 2 months and then bleached it again. It turned out yellow! To be expected but not pretty. So I used this toner on it. It turned out the perfect shade of platinum blonde! It is ashy but not grey or silver. If you leave it on for too long it can though so be careful, mine only needed 5 minutes since it was already light blonde.
It's easy to apply and didn't leave my hair feeling damaged.
Will buy again :)