Etude House Dr. Mascara Fixer for Perfect Lash

on 2/15/2015 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I got this at the recommendation of saaammage on YouTube, she's my GIRL and I trust her to deliver. She demonstrated it on someone, and showed that it can hold a curl no matter what mascara you put on top of it, waterproof or not. This review is coming from an Asian girl with lashes that not only cannot hold a curl, but grow downwards. So I really need to defy all sorts of gravity.

*Price: So cheap. Like $7 CAD? How can you go wrong? The shipping from Etude House was next to nothing, too.
*Packaging: I have this in the new packaging. Not the cutest. I also feel like it's full of air, which is a little concerning? I've heard other girls say they've gotten bad tubes where there was no product and it was all air. It's also entirely in Korean so I can't read a damn thing on the back.
*Product: A miracle! It's a white/clear gel. Dries at the same speed a normal mascara would.
*Positives: It works. That's the bottom line. You curl your lashes, put it on, wait for it to dry, then put on any mascara over top, and the curl will hold. I use this with my TF Better Than Sex Mascara and it brings my lashes to their full potential (which isn't that great, but you gotta work with what you got). I've heard that putting a waterproof mascara over it will really make it COMPLETELY waterproof (because we all know waterproof mascaras do get a little funky in the water) but I've never tried that.
*Negatives: Since it's clear, you can't really tell if you've coated every single lash. If you don't completely coat every single lash, once you put your non-waterproof mascara over it, it'll just uncurl and be sad looking. I suppose the clear colour is good for girls who just want the curl and don't want to put a mascara over, to give the illusion of naturally curly lashes. Also, it'll make your lashes crunchy and stiff, and if you don't comb them out before it finishes drying, they'll dry in whatever clumpy position you left them in. Another thing to note is that I've heard it's difficult to take off. I don't feel that, personally, but I only use coconut oil or Bioderma for my eye makeup, both of which takes absolutely EVERYTHING off. **EDIT** I have sensitive eyes and sometimes it seems "strong" and makes my eyes water a little. But that goes away very quickly.

I would say this is a staple for any girls with difficult, straight lashes. It's not that much of an extra step in the morning and does wonders. The downsides are insignificant compared to the results you'll get. No more sad lashes! No more weak curls! You'll finally be able to use non-waterproof mascaras, too. I knew I'd like this right away and I purchased 3 tubes the first time I got it. I don't use it every single day (I wear falsies a lot) but when I do I don't feel insecure about my own lashes anymore.

on 9/1/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is a godsend.

I saw it on a random girl's instagram and decided to see how it reviewed on makeupalley. It had 3.5/4 lippies, so I thought - okay, what the heck. I'll try it.

I was never a mascara user until this product. I researched, tried, and attempted several mascara brands like Cannonball, Dior, the pink Maybelline one, Buxom, etc., hoping a product would help my short, sparse lashes curl and look full. All mascara's, even the best reviewed and stubborn waterproof ones failed to stay put on my eyes. Within the hour I looked like a sad raccoon.

The product came, and finally, FINALLY, I was able to indulge in fringey, natural looking lashes. I haven't worn fake eyelashes since.

It lasts forever. I think I've used a tube for about two months. It's clear and all you have to do is curl, coat your eyelashes top and bottom, wait a minute or two, then put on whichever mascara you desire. Voila.

on 7/21/2014 6:54:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This does hold a lash curl without a doubt. I tossed it into the Korean shopping cart because it sounded interesting, but I'm basically trying to re-create my late lamented Neutrogena lash tint--natural, glossy, thick but not spiky or spidery lashes, and this is not the solution. Still, I sometimes wear it at the base of my lashes, after curling but without mascara, just to add a little something. Unfortunately it dries stiff and I'm looking for soft, but I bet it does work well if you use it as a primer under mascara to create a really dramatic look.

on 1/19/2014 9:52:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This product is great for people who have super straight lashes that point downwards like me. Just curling with the eyelash curler is not enough to keep my lashes up in the air - they'll sag downwards again after I apply mascara. Before I tried the Dr. Mascara Fixer I usually didn't bother doing my lashes as they'd sag down anyways. But now I've finally found a product that holds the curl throughout the day! I'm so happyy! I use it as a primer: curl lashes, apply the mascara fixer and then mascara. It doesn't take long to dry or anything. It's also affordable, just around 50-60 HKD or 4-5 euros.
I guess it is a little hard to remove, but I found that carefully rubbing it a little longer with my cleanser does the trick. I don't really mind as it does its job so well! I've already bought back ups. Definitely recommend!

on 12/11/2013 9:14:00 PM

When I was looking to re-order the Etude pencil I saw this and decided to try it. I like my IT lash primer but this is pretty amazing and you can use it over your mascara as well as before.

The product comes out of the tube a greyish color but goes on the lashes dark. It doesn't clump nor causes the lashes to clump and it does hold the curl and stop alot of the smudging I get with some of my mascaras.

Alot of people complain about the removal but I have the same issue with IT primer as well. I found a solution, Coconut oil. Buy it in a large jar at the store and not only can you cook with it you can remove just about any eye makeup not irritate your eyes and your not putting alot of chemicals in and around your eyes either!

I will use this product especially when I have some smudgy mascara. I am really liking this international line!

on 10/21/2013 3:07:00 PM

I'm not sure what's in this magical tube but it's the most amazing lash primer I've ever used. I have short, skimpy, barely there Asian lashes that usually require a Herculean effort to lift, curl and lengthen. This does all that with just one swipe, holding a curl all day and impressively lengthening without any visible fibers to speak of (honestly - I don't know how it does this). I ran out for a short time and my lashes were just not the same. Will be stacking up on this so I'm never without it!

on 9/23/2012 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I recently purchased this item due to the reviews online... It definitely makes an already waterproof mascara super waterproof/smudge resistant! However, it doesn't make a non-waterproof mascara waterproof but just smudge proof. Which is better than nothing. I usually coat my bare lashes and then apply mascara and then coat my eyelashes again with this Dr. Mascara fixer! It is also super hard to take off.. I have been on a somewhat organic/natural binge and have been using Extra Virgin Olive Oil.. and it takes forever to get this off.. Will definitely NOT be using Dr. Mascara Fixer on a daily basis, just when I am out all day, going to an evening event, or outdoor sport activities.. when I need that SUPER WATERPROOF effect... Will probably use this more with my non-waterproof mascaras

Makes non-waterproof mascaras smudge-proof but not waterproof...
Makes waterproof mascaras SUPER WATERPROOF
Applies clear, can be used alone for the natural bare lashes look (HOLDS CURL)
Can be used for eyebrows as well
Basically like a hair gel but for eyelashes..

Can make the mascara flake off...

I'm on the fence about re-purchasing since I won't be using this daily, will probably re-purchase in the future though when I run out..

When you use it a lot for eyelashes or for brows, the clear gel color of the mascara tends to darken with each use. So it looks super nasty and unsanitary D:

on 8/8/2011 7:53:00 PM

Is there anything better? My favorite mascara is not waterproof, so this product is a blessing! It is also very gentle; I have no problems with it despite my allergies. Finally, I find I have no problem removing it. I simply soak a cotton pad in my eye make-up remover and let it sit there for about half a minute; it comes right off! Great product!

on 8/3/2011 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!... Really helps mascara from flaking as well as eyelashes hold curl.. Nothing negative to say about this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Okay, at first I was a bit confused with the product, I originally thought it was something you put after mascara (which works too) but used as a lash primer it works wonders. This has been my favorite eyelash primer to date. It holds the curls throughout the day and it makes my mascaras smudge proof and water resistant. The downside though, it sometimes makes my eyelashes look too stiff and unnatural plus, it's friggin' hard to take off! Make sure to use oil-based makeup remover afterwards.

Top Rated Etude House Products