August 30, 2014 | 1463 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Calcium Shield

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2014 5:26:00 PM More reviews by misscynthia06

This is a really decent base coat or nail treatment. I use this under my manicure and sometimes alone as a clear polish/nail treatment.

I love that the brush is large and the formula thick, I feel that it gives my natural nail a good barrier from the polishes and other products I layer on there.

As far as stregthening properties go, I can't be certain that this is effective but I use it often and have healthy nails that rarely break or split.

There are many treatments out there, but if you are looking for a base coat or clear polish that will strengthen the nail, I would recommend you try this.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2011 10:20:00 AM More reviews by BlueMyMind

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think it's a decent product. It did a good job at strengthening my nails. It is easy to apply. I also used it as a base coat and my polish did last longer with it. Another good thing about it is that it is available in a smaller bottle which I found to be very convenient. The only thing I'm concerned about is that using this product could be the reason my nails turned yellow. Overall, I thing it is good, if you are not sure whether to buy the full size bottle or not go and try the smaller one. To me, it's worth it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Arbuz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was going to buy ChG Calsium, but I've bought the one from Orly by mistake. It goes OK when applied in 1 coat and no nail polish over (it won't dry). But I'm afraid it makes my nails yellow. Not sure about strengthening my nails, because I've stopped using it when I saw first sighns of yellowing.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2009 6:58:00 PM More reviews by thaydizzle

I'm not really sure about this product. One of my nails tends to break at the same spot, but after using this as a base coat for the past three months, the chipping has stopped. However, I noticed some peeling on the layers of one of my nails after I started as well. It does make a great base coat, it's not horrible but it doesn't wow me. I would buy it again though, but only if it's on sale. (I got it for $3.99)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2009 7:13:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried using this as a base coat, and it just doesn't work. I supposed it's supposed to be used on its own because my polish got all gritty and bubbly. Plus it takes forever to dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2009 10:30:00 AM More reviews by angelbemine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It's in half the size of a standard Orly bottle. It's clear with a hint of blue. My main goal when I purchased this was to help shield my nail against staining from polish pigments. According to the bottle, it has calcium to help strengthen the nail (and I thought nails, like hair are dead cells & you can't really do anything about it). Expecting it to be matte, like what I've read online...that all base coats should be matte for the colored polish to adhere well. Doesn't do the job (nail still goes yellow after 3weeks) but am quite happy that at least there's a layer from the pigment & my actual nails. Would search for another product that can actually prevent my nails from turning yellow from pigment.