October 25, 2014 | 891 users online

Skincare - Face - Coastal Scents - African Black Soap

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2014 12:56:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

Nice organic and natural soap. I didn't see anything miraculous or different from using it. It's a very earthy smelling soap and suds nicely. It does make you squeaky clean and does it in a weird way.

What I mean is, I didn't feel stripped of moisture. Just clean and fresh. I am unsure if I would buy this again, it's not anything special for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/3/2014 12:19:00 AM More reviews by khousholder

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Been using this brand for about 3 years now. It worked soo well for me and still does. However, last night I found a huge finger nail in the soap as I tried to wash my face. I am so disgusted now and don't know what to do. I guess I will have to switch to a different brand.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by junerose000

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the Coastal Scents African Black Soap in the liquid form. It comes in a big bottle with a flip lid, and is absolutely paraben free. My hair is very dry, but my scalp gets greasy very quickly. I often find my hair looking very stringy near the roots area the day after a shampoo. Because my hair is so dry, I don't like to shampoo frequently, but I have to because of my greasy scalp. All this usually does is just dry my hair out more, and I still can't control the grease build up by the next day, and I hardly use any styling product in my hair. I have even tried the cowashing method with very little success.

This liquid Black Soap is the answer to my prayers. It emulsifies into a creamy lather, unlike other paraben/SLP free shampoos, and a small dallop takes care of my medium length hair. I work it really well into my scalp and it rinses cleanly away. After blow drying my hair, it feels bouncy and smooth, and I love that there is no heavy perfume smell.

It is now the second day after my shampoo, and I don't have that horrible greasy smell and feel from my scalp that usually happens the next day. The hair is still looking good. I highly recommend this as a shampoo alternative for anyone who has the same hair issues as I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by jeane519

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm 52 and had been using a lot of glycolic products, but my pores were gigantic. Was cutting back on glycolics and also using argan and maracuja oils. The oils helped with my pores, but they were still a little big. Completely eliminated glycolic cleanser and used the African black soap instead. My pores shrunk! I have been using it for six months now and stocked up when Coastal Scents had it on sale. Highly recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2014 7:43:00 PM More reviews by MollieS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This stuff dried me out so bad! I tried it for a week and I had to stop using it because it literally sapped my skin of moisture. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone! Horrible!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Magma94

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Winter is in full force.
It came in like a lion and caught me off guard.
My skin ended up cracking and bleeding.
Awful!!!
I had to go back to my toxic chemicals to fix it in a flash.

I wish OCM would love me.
I really do.
Because I love it.
And it is easy, beautiful, simple and safe.
And I adore lavender around my nose bc it calms me and improves my mood instantly.
(Living LIbations has a bottle that is out of this world... I just use it around my eyes to remove makeup and moisturize).
But I always tend to get a breakout if I OCM all over my face, neck and chest.
:-(

SO... what would be one step closer to OCM?

My criteria is
1)Natural
2)Easy
3)Product needs to be multi-area purpose (facial cleanser & shaving cream); this is a bonus.

Always a research hound, I was intrigued by African Black Soap (ABS) & Shea Butter.
So , I wanted to try it.
Now, I can't find organic black soap (organic always being my first choice).
For those of you that believe labels, please check again. Is there a logo to CERTIFY it is organic? If not, it's not. I see ones clearly listed as "organic" but not a logo to certify authentic organic sourcing or any organic ingredients listed on the label. The nerve of the cosmetics industry! GRRR...
Buyer beware.

Anywho, I decided to give Coastal Scents ABS a try.
I purchased an organic Shea Butter (yes, certified with logo) as well.
Both I bought on Amazon.ca at a very inexpensive price.
16 oz bar of ABS with shipping $17.00 and same for the organic Shea Butter (one pound).
That $40 investment is what I typically would pay for my old 4 oz jar of toxic facial cleaner.

They arrived quickly. I had watched every single ABS and shea butter video on YouTube so I knew how to use them.
Well... two weeks later and I LOVE THESE PRODUCTS.
Not a *single* breakout and I did have a period as well (no hormonal acne!!! amazing).
Usually I breakout within 48 hours max of using anything new that disagrees with my skin ... so this is great.

I don't over wash... a very light 10 second circular wash all over my face and neck and chest with my fingertips. Then rinse.
Then I repeat on my back, washing for 20 seconds and then rinse (back acne is worse).

I get out of the shower. Let air dry my face.
Then I take Juice Beauty Antioxident serum and apply a couple drops in the palm of my hands and lightly pat all over my face, neck and chest.
Give it a minute to absorb.
Then I take a pearl size of shea butter in my the palm of my hand and add 1 drop of organic JoJoba oil. I mix it with my finger and when smooth and all liquidy, I lightly dab the palms of my hands all over my face, neck and chest to apply.
Then I take my homemade toner (organic hibiscus & organic lavendar) and spray on my chest and back. This is cheaper than my regular Thayers.
Let air dry.

For 2 weeks this has worked like a charm in this frigid Canadian temps.
And not a SINGLE breakout.
Skin is soft, soft , soft & super clear.

I have used SUKI lemongrass exfoliating cleaner 2 x per week, every few days as well, to exfoliate.

LOOOVEEEE IT.

The only thing is I would like back my "dewy/glowy" skin appearance.
So... I am going to spend another 2 weeks following this routine.
Then I will update it to include Apricot Seed Oil instead of the Shea & Jojoba during the day.
The Shea is too heavy and shiny for day.
and I don't trust Jojoba on it's own (breakouts).
At night Shea & jojoba combo are fine... my cat loves me and doesn't point and laugh.

Still using Unscented Dr. Bronner's soap bar all over my body and as my shave cream. Working perfectly. :-)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by kaylatasha

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is specifically for the NUNA black soap...

I was so excited to try this soap because of the good reviews. And I must say, I am still amazed by how this actually lathers up really nicely.

Moving on, I decided to try this on my face, body, and my hair.... not such a great idea.
I haven't used it very long... but from the time i've been using it (a few days now, almost a week) I can tell that it leaves my face feeling nice and clean, but after a patting dry, it starts to feel a little stiff, almost waxy? Same thing when I used it on my body, I felt clean, and then immediately after rinsing, I felt like there was this strange waxy feeling. It wasn't the feeling of squeaky clean skin... it was like something waxy was coating it that made it feel "squeaky" but... i don't know. It wasn't very pleasant. And for my hair... oh my goodness... the waxy coating was not a lie. It made my hair feel stringy and greasy... and just not pleasant. on top of that... it seems to have really irritated/dried out my scalp because now I have a crazy dandruff epidemic right now (excuse my over reacting... but this is the only change I've made to my hair care routine, and it caused me to have really bad dandruff)

I'm pretty upset by this because I accidentally bought two bars (I know, how does that even happen????) But... I did get it on the black friday 50% off sale, so it's not a loss.

I will be trying different brands in the future so I can get a better feel for these soaps in general.

I would only recommend you to use at your own risk, and to AVOID, AVOID, AVOID using this on your hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 7:37:00 AM More reviews by XxPRINCESSAxX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Other

This is for NUNA Unscented Black Soap by Coastal Scents. It was a great value for around $3. It came packaged in a white plastic bag inside of a labelled box.

When first using this soap I noticed my face felt clean but also soft, not overdried at all. It had a smooth texture after rinsing unlike with my other cleansers. I used this both with and without a face brush (Olay Pro-X). I read some reviews where others found this to be too drying, but I didn't feel like my face was clean without using the brush.

The first few days, my skin felt great and I had a "glow" that was nice. After a while I started to get little bumps and thought wow this soap is really cleaning out my somewhat acne-prone skin, while being gentle towards my sensitive facial skin (I've noticed a lot of us acne prones are also sensitive!)

After 2 weeks I had two huge/enlarged pimples/spots on the left cheek, 1.5 inches away from my nose. Another pimple on the side of my nose, bridge of my nose, and overall clogged pores everywhere on my face, with varying degrees of severity.

I did not want to accept that this soap was the problem and kept using it - the problem kept getting worse. I stopped using it, and went back to my acne products (Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, C&C Moisturizer, Benzoyl Peroxide Gel), and the acne started to disappear.

My experience with this soap was identical to the one I had with using Dove Soap to wash my face. At first the face looks glowy and smooth, feels soft and clean. But eventually causes breakouts. The type of breakouts I experienced were exactly the same - clogged pores all over, general facial congestion, along with a couple very large and painful pimples. The acne I got while using this (and Dove) would bleed and scab unlike the regular acne I get. This leads me to believe that it is a bar soap formulation that is unsuitable for my skin, regardless of brand. I think, but do not have confirmation, that whatever is used to hold the soap together might be clogging my pores and staying on my skin. I remember reading that bar soaps used on your skin (anywhere) leaves a residue that takes 3-5 days to be fully washed off.

I have been left with a few dark scars from the acne I got while using this product but with exfoliation I hope I can fade them. For the price, I can't really consider it a waste of money, the only downfall was the bad skin I got.

In order to use this up, I tried washing my makeup brushes with it and it worked very well. In fact, It was able to remove all color/product from my Real Techniques brushes and other brushes that have white tips. I have never seen them so white except when they were new! It also got some deeply embedded foundation out of this foundation brush I got from Costco that seems to have some coating that makes it work great, but difficult to wash. I'm impressed when using it for this purpose, and plan on using it up this way. However I will alternate with another brush cleanser as I don't want any residue like it left on my face!!

This seems to be a miracle product for some and that's great if it works for them. Give it a try if you're interested - the price is good and you can always use it for something else (brush cleaning, showering) or else just throw it away! Good luck :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 2:41:00 AM More reviews by Allthatglittersssx

Omg this is my HG soap! I have very acne prone skin and this has helped my skin so much. It has kept the acne away and has helped clear it. As soon as I stop using it my skin will act up. I cannot see my life without it, seriously. If you don't have oily skin I can see it would be a little on the drying side but who doesn't moisturize after washing their face? ;) I don't like to buy the liquid form bc you tend to waste a lot of it. I buy the "brick" type and what I do is break a piece off and put it into a travel size bottle with a cap and put water in if and shake it. I seriously use this soap everyday and the 1lb brick will last me a year! You really can't beat that for the price and how amazing this soap is. If I could give it 100 lippies I absolutely would!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by Sirena089

I have been struggling with acne for 7 years. It is not a picnic, my acne has pitted scars and so many red marks that have been left behind. I had been using bee yummy skin food to control my acne prone skin but it only seemed to do what the over the counter products did....control the acne not get rid of it. I wanted something that would get rid of it, help fade the scars and be natural. It seemed like an impossible task but I searched on the web, youtube, makeup alley, and I came across african black soap. Now when I ordered it I was really exited. I knew exacly what it was going to look like, what it was going to do. I thought it was going to sting my skin but it didn't. It just had a really clean feel to it. I wash my entire face with it, even my eyes. It leaves my face feeling soft but after like 30 mins it starts to get this drying effect. I immediately put unrefined shea butter on it and it takes care of the dryness. I only put the shea butter on at night, so that it doesn't make my face look oily during the day. I have only been using these two products for like 5 days and I could see that some of my scars are fading. Some of my bumps are going away. I could tell that the texture of my skin is improving. A lot of peopIe have said they had a purging period but I didn't get any purge. Thank goodness because I have really sensitive skin that reacts to anything and everything. I really hope that it keeps working, so far I really think it's the only thing that has helped me in about 7 years. My skin is still not 100% clear and my marks are still there but like I said it's only been 5 days. I will update to let you guys know if the acne, red marks and pitted scars are less noticable. Thank you coastal scents for making such a wonderful product it has been a long journey and I hope this is my holy grail!