July 24, 2014 | 1484 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Shiseido - Shiseido Maquillage Eye Lash Curler

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 8:56:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I recently switched to Shiseido after using the Shu Uemura lash curler for almost 20 years. I have owned the Shu Uemura since late 90s when roommate was Allure magazine Accessories Editor. I'd shown her a Vogue ad for a fancy mascara (probably Lancome) and asked if it would help with my puny "Asian" lashes and she emphatically said "no." Then she took me into her bathroom and showed me her Shu eyelash curler and said it would actually do something for my lashes versus just a mascara. I'd been okay with it. But in the past few weeks, I got fed up with how the Shu did not reach my outer and inner lashes to curl them. Trying to reach them would make the outer edges of the curler dig into the skin. The Shiseido curler is flatter and fits the shape of the bones around my eyes better.

The Shiseido's squeezing mechanism is tighter so I have to use light pressure to curl my lashes. If I squeeze too hard, the lashes curl too much, creating a radical crimp or "L"-shape. The curler fits my eye shape perfectly and all my lashes fit into it. This is what I do: After some experimenting, I have found that starting from the outer tips of my lashes (away from roots) and GENTLY closing the curler repeatedly while moving the curler toward the lash roots to introduce a graceful curve into the lashes is producing the best effect.

It took a little adjustment to switch to the Shiseido, but I'm glad I did. I'm giving it 4 stars because I wish the flatter shape could be combined with the less-tight squeezing mechanism of the Shu, which gives a more graceful curve ("C"-shape) instead of the Shiseido's more radical "crimp" or "L"-shape (if I use the curler normally instead of the way I describe above).

Unlike Shu's ridiculous claim that you need to buy a new curler of theirs every time the pad is worn out, you can get refill pads for the Shiseido. I'm actually changing my rating to 5 stars because of this!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 5:39:00 AM More reviews by fashionista27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this eyelash curler! perfectly fit my hazel shape eyes. This will last me for ages.. x

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by mairsbeautytips

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For us 55+ foxes - no need to get frustrated with those out of wack lashes! Couple few days using this eyelash curler will also help train those lashes. This curler is very light and easy to use. And, it CURLS the eyelashes. Glad I purchased this curler...toss the others!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2011 10:50:00 PM More reviews by lovejustinb246

loves how it curls my lashes

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2009 2:13:00 PM More reviews by shesaidleave

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Best eye lash curler I have found. I tried Shu Uemura first and always ended up with majorly crimped eye lashes. That has yet to happen with the Shiseido. It gives me perfectly curled lashes everytime. I always get compliments on my lashes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2009 8:43:00 AM More reviews by strawbit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Maquillage curler is from Shiseido's Japanese line. While the S/A was testing The Makeup vs Maquillage curlers for me, she decided on the latter, because the shape of my eyes are longer. This gunmetal (chic and cool :) eye lash curler fits so well on my eyes. I have tried Shu Uemura and the regular Shiseido curlers, so I am able to truly appreciate the design behind Maquillage. I find one or two pushes are enough to curl the entire lashes properly. Unlike with other curlers before, which had to be turned and moved many times to reach the inner and outer edges of my lashes they didn't manage to get. So if you have long-ish eyes, this is a great, convenient, effective product.