Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara (Thickening)

3.7

on 6/30/2015 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I re-tried this One Coat Thickening Mascara after years of not using it. I had tried it ages ago, like in Middle School. Something in the formula didn't agree w/my eyes or my sister's when she tried it a couple of yrs after I did. No rash or redness occurred, just a slight sting.Anyway, I had a coupon to buy an Almay mascara & get an eye makeup remover wipe can free. I tore it open the day after purchase & was delighted to see a short wand w/a basic traditional bristle brush. Nothing skimpy or oversized. I bought Black/Brown #403. It's impressively dark & I really can't tell a huge difference between Black mascaras on my eyes & Almay's Black/Brown. I have moderately thick & long lashes that aren't dark but not blonde. They have a slight curl. I noticed minimal clumping & a wet formula, yay! I'd rather deal w/wetness than dryness in mascaras. The short wand made it easy to get in all the corners of my eyes. There sometimes is a glob of product on the end of the brush but it's no biggie. I easily combed out the clumps I got w/it. My tube only reads, "One Coat Thickening", also. The fat white tube makes it easy to find & pack into any makeup bag or purse. I have tried applying 2 & 3 coats for fun & it worked out well. But for everyday I like the results from 1 coat of One Coat. There's also no spidery effect on my ends! It just builds a natural fringe that is long & thick. No transfer to my under eye area, either. No flaking! Idk if my eyes are less sensitive to their formula or Almay tweaked it but I've worn it comfortably for a few weeks now several days in a row. If I want a bold & truly Black look I've reached for NYC's Big Bold Angel Lash mascara. Oh, the price is right for DS mascara @ $5 a tube from WalMart & Target. There is also a Review of NYC's Big Bold Angel Lash, if anyone is interested.

on 12/3/2014 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I'm always buying new mascaras and my sensitive eyes don't always love me for it. After a disastrous encounter with MUFE smoky lash (pretty mascara, not pretty when it makes your eyes water and then refuses to come off with makeup remover) I decided to take a gentler approach for awhile. Almay products have always worked well for me and I'm shocked that this is my first review - I always end up buying something Almay when my eczema flares up and I need something I know is not going to exacerbate any face irritation (the oil free makeup remover is a godsend for getting rid of physical ss). So I bought this mascara in the hopes that it would tide me over until I found something new and exciting, or until I convinced myself to shell out the cash for Clinique. Well, for now I'll look no further because this stuff is amazing. Way more volume than I expected and no flakes or smudges, even with my gross watery eyes right now. Really nice for everyday - I love Clinique High Impact for my usual "gentle" allergy-season-and-irritation mascara but it's a little much for daytime (I think they changed the formula or something because that stuff packs more of a punch than it used to).

on 8/24/2014 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I actually do not know the price of this mascara, for I got it as a gift. This mascara is AMAZING. I used the black-brown mascara because I don't always like to wear makeup, but I do like to look like I have eyelashes. The brush really separates the lashes and you can get to your lashline really close. It kept a cery natural look and held a curl all day long. The waterproof formula only bled a bit from my oily skin, but otherwise it's perfect!

I had such high hopes for this mascara and it ended up being terrible. The brush is just awful and cheap looking (I would compare it to Maybelline's Great Lash brush in terms of design) and the formula doesn't even look like I'm wearing mascara- and I bought the Blackest Black color! Returning this as soon as possible.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I don't know about you, but I love this mascara. It has a natural yet beautiful effect on the lashes and makes you look as though you're not even wearing any mascara but you look gorgeous. I highly recommend this product. I used an old bottle of it a couple weeks ago and it still went on perfectly. It wasn't even clumpy! This mascara does not clump on the lashes and gives a nice natural effect. If you are looking for spidery lashes or a dramatic look, don't buy this mascara. If you are starting out in makeup or if you are younger and in school, this is a great natural - looking product and is a must for beginners. If you are at the drugstore, pick this up now!

on 7/5/2014 8:26:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

OK, I have to tell a story about how I encountered this mascara. Last summer, I was out of town at an event and, while sitting outside at dinner with friends, I had a complete catastrophic eye makeup failure. It felt like a chunk of mascara flaked into my eye (but who knows, it could have been a speck of dirt or a radioactive spider, I never did see what it was).

My eye - just the one - would NOT stop watering. My nose began running. It looked like I was seriously ugly crying, which is a hard thing for dinner companions to ignore!

On the chance that my mascara had done this to me, I picked up some of this Almay stuff the next morning. I figured it would be the least irritating, hypoallergenic mascara. And it performed fine for a little while. It's black enough. It's wet enough but not too wet. It's a less dramatic look than I'm used to, but hey - sometimes drama leaves you looking like a sobbing cock-eyed drunk.

But I found very quickly that the Almay tends to flake, and the flakes really are irritating to my eyes. Hypoallergenic fail! When that's the exact thing I was trying to flee, I'm afraid I won't be repurchasing this product.

on 6/14/2014 8:22:00 PM

I'm Very disappointed with Almay one coat mascara. Will never buy again. When I put this mascara on you can barely tell you put mascara on. I don't wear mascara thick, but would like for it to be slightly visible. It does not stay on long either as I find myself reapplying it a couple times a day. Disappointed.

on 4/25/2014 8:40:00 PM

Just rediscovered this affordable little gem. A perfect everyday mascara that not only thickens, it also adds definition and length. No clumping or flaking. Plus it holds a curl and washes off easily at the end of the day. This is quickly becoming a HG!

on 4/25/2014 12:51:00 PM

Wow, I am a BIG Diorshow Blackout mascara fan & this drugstore find has really impressed me. To compare, the Dior mascara I usually use is $25, this Almay mascara is about $4. This mascara works almost just as well as my Dior, for only $4!!! I am most definitely impressed. This mascara didn't give the same effect as the higher end mascaras, but this was pretty darn good for a drugstore brand. DEFINITELY better than Maybelline or Covergirl mascaras. This mascara created long, thick, intensely black eyelashes...that didn't flake & held a curl very well. I got just as many compliments as I do when I wear my usual mascara, the one with the hefty price tag. I will definitely be buying this mascara again! Although I will say, I don't think I can completely stray from Dior, but Almay is definitely on my go to list.

on 3/30/2014 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This mascara is quite possibly the best thickening mascara I've tried, but it has some really bad disadvantages. My lashes really do end up mega thick with this formula, they also end up significantly longer, and it's not a lengthening formula. Now I really like this stuff because I love that super thick/long look. The issue is that the mascara is very waxy, and I mean very. Lot's of wax, means lot's of clump, so I have to use a lash comb after to separate them. The wand doesn't help too much because it's a chubby wand. The other downfall of the wax is that it's really tough to remove. I can sometimes feel the residue on my lashes after both washing my face and then using my remover. I do love the end result, but it's a tough mascara to use.

Top Rated Almay Products