December 21, 2014 | 955 users online

Mascara - Almay - One Coat Mascara (Thickening)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm always buying new mascaras and my sensitive eyes don't always love me for it. After a disastrous encounter with MUFE smoky lash (pretty mascara, not pretty when it makes your eyes water and then refuses to come off with makeup remover) I decided to take a gentler approach for awhile. Almay products have always worked well for me and I'm shocked that this is my first review - I always end up buying something Almay when my eczema flares up and I need something I know is not going to exacerbate any face irritation (the oil free makeup remover is a godsend for getting rid of physical ss). So I bought this mascara in the hopes that it would tide me over until I found something new and exciting, or until I convinced myself to shell out the cash for Clinique. Well, for now I'll look no further because this stuff is amazing. Way more volume than I expected and no flakes or smudges, even with my gross watery eyes right now. Really nice for everyday - I love Clinique High Impact for my usual "gentle" allergy-season-and-irritation mascara but it's a little much for daytime (I think they changed the formula or something because that stuff packs more of a punch than it used to).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2014 9:13:00 AM More reviews by toonnniiii

I actually do not know the price of this mascara, for I got it as a gift. This mascara is AMAZING. I used the black-brown mascara because I don't always like to wear makeup, but I do like to look like I have eyelashes. The brush really separates the lashes and you can get to your lashline really close. It kept a cery natural look and held a curl all day long. The waterproof formula only bled a bit from my oily skin, but otherwise it's perfect!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2014 12:21:00 AM More reviews by brittasmith92

I had such high hopes for this mascara and it ended up being terrible. The brush is just awful and cheap looking (I would compare it to Maybelline's Great Lash brush in terms of design) and the formula doesn't even look like I'm wearing mascara- and I bought the Blackest Black color! Returning this as soon as possible.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2014 11:30:00 PM More reviews by Icanhelpyouwithmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't know about you, but I love this mascara. It has a natural yet beautiful effect on the lashes and makes you look as though you're not even wearing any mascara but you look gorgeous. I highly recommend this product. I used an old bottle of it a couple weeks ago and it still went on perfectly. It wasn't even clumpy! This mascara does not clump on the lashes and gives a nice natural effect. If you are looking for spidery lashes or a dramatic look, don't buy this mascara. If you are starting out in makeup or if you are younger and in school, this is a great natural - looking product and is a must for beginners. If you are at the drugstore, pick this up now!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2014 8:26:00 PM More reviews by eadinsmo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

OK, I have to tell a story about how I encountered this mascara. Last summer, I was out of town at an event and, while sitting outside at dinner with friends, I had a complete catastrophic eye makeup failure. It felt like a chunk of mascara flaked into my eye (but who knows, it could have been a speck of dirt or a radioactive spider, I never did see what it was).

My eye - just the one - would NOT stop watering. My nose began running. It looked like I was seriously ugly crying, which is a hard thing for dinner companions to ignore!

On the chance that my mascara had done this to me, I picked up some of this Almay stuff the next morning. I figured it would be the least irritating, hypoallergenic mascara. And it performed fine for a little while. It's black enough. It's wet enough but not too wet. It's a less dramatic look than I'm used to, but hey - sometimes drama leaves you looking like a sobbing cock-eyed drunk.

But I found very quickly that the Almay tends to flake, and the flakes really are irritating to my eyes. Hypoallergenic fail! When that's the exact thing I was trying to flee, I'm afraid I won't be repurchasing this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2014 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Nowaynotme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm Very disappointed with Almay one coat mascara. Will never buy again. When I put this mascara on you can barely tell you put mascara on. I don't wear mascara thick, but would like for it to be slightly visible. It does not stay on long either as I find myself reapplying it a couple times a day. Disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by victoriahokan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great mascara!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by MegE

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just rediscovered this affordable little gem. A perfect everyday mascara that not only thickens, it also adds definition and length. No clumping or flaking. Plus it holds a curl and washes off easily at the end of the day. This is quickly becoming a HG!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

Wow, I am a BIG Diorshow Blackout mascara fan & this drugstore find has really impressed me. To compare, the Dior mascara I usually use is $25, this Almay mascara is about $4. This mascara works almost just as well as my Dior, for only $4!!! I am most definitely impressed. This mascara didn't give the same effect as the higher end mascaras, but this was pretty darn good for a drugstore brand. DEFINITELY better than Maybelline or Covergirl mascaras. This mascara created long, thick, intensely black eyelashes...that didn't flake & held a curl very well. I got just as many compliments as I do when I wear my usual mascara, the one with the hefty price tag. I will definitely be buying this mascara again! Although I will say, I don't think I can completely stray from Dior, but Almay is definitely on my go to list.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2014 6:30:00 PM More reviews by VeruskaRai

This mascara is quite possibly the best thickening mascara I've tried, but it has some really bad disadvantages. My lashes really do end up mega thick with this formula, they also end up significantly longer, and it's not a lengthening formula. Now I really like this stuff because I love that super thick/long look. The issue is that the mascara is very waxy, and I mean very. Lot's of wax, means lot's of clump, so I have to use a lash comb after to separate them. The wand doesn't help too much because it's a chubby wand. The other downfall of the wax is that it's really tough to remove. I can sometimes feel the residue on my lashes after both washing my face and then using my remover. I do love the end result, but it's a tough mascara to use.