Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara (Thickening)

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I'm giving this mascara a tentative 4 lipsticks and will update with further road testing.
In my quest for a less expensive alternative to Bobbi Brown's Smokey eye lash mascara, I decided to get Almay's One Coat Thickening mascara as it was on sale.
I used it once years ago and didn't like it because it didn't give me the volume I wanted. This was before I discovered the necessity of lash primers for my very thin Asian lashes.

I'm definitely impressed with the results of this mascara with my beloved Lancome Cils Booster primer. My lashes had great length and definition with reasonable volume. I prefer nicely defined lashes with natural volume instead of full on voluminous lashes in my older years. This mascara is definitely more lengthening than thickening.

My lashes stayed curled all day and there was just a hint of smudging by the end of a long day. (most mascaras smudge on me in varying degrees and I can't wear waterproof ones)
Removal is easy and effortless and my sensitive eyes are grateful that it's fragrance free.
As much as I like CG's Clump Crusher, that scent does bother my eyes somewhat.

Is it a dead on replacement for the Smokey eye lash mascara? Not quite but close enough for me and the price difference can't be ignored.

I hope Almay doesn't discontinue this product as my wallet will be happy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

After the tube dried out a bit and I scraped off all the excess, this had beautiful results. Thickened, lengthened, and curled my lashes. Unfortunately, the smudging was strong in this one and I will be trying the waterproof version. I recommend that you scrape most of the mascara off the brush before using to avoid clumps. This applies to all mascaras.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I'm pretty easy to please with mascara, all I ask is that the mascara helps my eyelashes look better than with nothing on and preferably not flake. This didn't do much for me. It was an ok product, but not one I feel the need to repurchase. I do like that my lashes feel soft, I hate when my lashes feel hard. It did flake on me though. I feel like this is pretty average, so I gave it an average rating.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This was my holy grail, but, the last two I bought were so wet and goopy I just made a big mess on the upper and lower lids, I thought I had a bad one so I tossed it and got one more.it took forever to dry making a bigger mess. I don't know what Almay did to this product but it is bad, sadly I have tossed my last one and moved on to a cruelty free brand, which is for the best anyway.

I really like this. Very basic, easy to use brush, natural looking lashes. Nothing spectacular but nothing bad to say about it either. This was my HG mascara about years ago until I decided to branch out and try every other mascara on the market. I only recently bought it again because it was on mega clearance at Shoppers which in my area is no longer carrying Almay??? Boo. However I got 2 tubes practically for free and Im enjoying it. Also, I do find I only need one coat with this...and it does indeed make my lashes look thicker...and I like that its a nice wet formula but not too gloopy and that the wand is small and simple. No major length or lift from this if that's what youre after but its nice

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I re-tried this One Coat Thickening Mascara after years of not using it. I had tried it ages ago, like in Middle School. Something in the formula didn't agree w/my eyes or my sister's when she tried it a couple of yrs after I did. No rash or redness occurred, just a slight sting.Anyway, I had a coupon to buy an Almay mascara & get an eye makeup remover wipe can free. I tore it open the day after purchase & was delighted to see a short wand w/a basic traditional bristle brush. Nothing skimpy or oversized. I bought Black/Brown #403. It's impressively dark & I really can't tell a huge difference between Black mascaras on my eyes & Almay's Black/Brown. I have moderately thick & long lashes that aren't dark but not blonde. They have a slight curl. I noticed minimal clumping & a wet formula, yay! I'd rather deal w/wetness than dryness in mascaras. The short wand made it easy to get in all the corners of my eyes. There sometimes is a glob of product on the end of the brush but it's no biggie. I easily combed out the clumps I got w/it. My tube only reads, "One Coat Thickening", also. The fat white tube makes it easy to find & pack into any makeup bag or purse. I have tried applying 2 & 3 coats for fun & it worked out well. But for everyday I like the results from 1 coat of One Coat. There's also no spidery effect on my ends! It just builds a natural fringe that is long & thick. No transfer to my under eye area, either. No flaking! Idk if my eyes are less sensitive to their formula or Almay tweaked it but I've worn it comfortably for a few weeks now several days in a row. If I want a bold & truly Black look I've reached for NYC's Big Bold Angel Lash mascara. Oh, the price is right for DS mascara @ $5 a tube from WalMart & Target. There is also a Review of NYC's Big Bold Angel Lash, if anyone is interested.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I'm always buying new mascaras and my sensitive eyes don't always love me for it. After a disastrous encounter with MUFE smoky lash (pretty mascara, not pretty when it makes your eyes water and then refuses to come off with makeup remover) I decided to take a gentler approach for awhile. Almay products have always worked well for me and I'm shocked that this is my first review - I always end up buying something Almay when my eczema flares up and I need something I know is not going to exacerbate any face irritation (the oil free makeup remover is a godsend for getting rid of physical ss). So I bought this mascara in the hopes that it would tide me over until I found something new and exciting, or until I convinced myself to shell out the cash for Clinique. Well, for now I'll look no further because this stuff is amazing. Way more volume than I expected and no flakes or smudges, even with my gross watery eyes right now. Really nice for everyday - I love Clinique High Impact for my usual "gentle" allergy-season-and-irritation mascara but it's a little much for daytime (I think they changed the formula or something because that stuff packs more of a punch than it used to).

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I actually do not know the price of this mascara, for I got it as a gift. This mascara is AMAZING. I used the black-brown mascara because I don't always like to wear makeup, but I do like to look like I have eyelashes. The brush really separates the lashes and you can get to your lashline really close. It kept a cery natural look and held a curl all day long. The waterproof formula only bled a bit from my oily skin, but otherwise it's perfect!

I had such high hopes for this mascara and it ended up being terrible. The brush is just awful and cheap looking (I would compare it to Maybelline's Great Lash brush in terms of design) and the formula doesn't even look like I'm wearing mascara- and I bought the Blackest Black color! Returning this as soon as possible.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I don't know about you, but I love this mascara. It has a natural yet beautiful effect on the lashes and makes you look as though you're not even wearing any mascara but you look gorgeous. I highly recommend this product. I used an old bottle of it a couple weeks ago and it still went on perfectly. It wasn't even clumpy! This mascara does not clump on the lashes and gives a nice natural effect. If you are looking for spidery lashes or a dramatic look, don't buy this mascara. If you are starting out in makeup or if you are younger and in school, this is a great natural - looking product and is a must for beginners. If you are at the drugstore, pick this up now!

Popular Mascaras