December 22, 2014 | 1675 users online

Gels/Soaps - Giovanni - D:Tox System Purifying Body bar

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2013 12:55:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

Although I'm a big fan of a lot of the Giovanni hair, body and face care range, this soap fell extremely short. I like the smell of it, sort of citrusy/clean with a tinge of the carbon seeping through. But it leaves my skin feeling sticky and dry. Reminds me of when I use a generic bar soap. Will probably end up throwing this out because I just can't stand the way it makes my skin feel.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Mmmm the smell!! It's like a nice unisex/light male scent and I agree that I would love it as a perfume/cologne! (I hate women's perfume!) My aunt got this for my face because it worked on her husbands break outs, but I think for facial use it's a bit harsh. It didn't break me out, just made me a little tight. But it's meant to be for the body anyway so we moved it to the shower and that's what we're using it for. It lathers nicely (gray) and doesn't make a mess. It does last forever and I think it's been helping with those small bumps I get on the back of my arms and upper back, so that's great! I'm trying to get my husband to use it more intensively to clear his back (so sexy, I know). I think it works ok, not a miracle, but I love the ingredients. And it's so cheap so why not!? :)

Update: Yea, I never even finished the bar. It's been a year. So that tells me it wasn't so hot as I once thought. Also I sort of feel it was causing some breakouts on my body?? I started using Shea Moisture's Black Soap for my face and body and I liked that better but not enough to make my skin normal...

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2011 7:30:00 AM More reviews by Xya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Violet

I actually used the body wash (however, the bar soap contains the same ash in it so I felt the issue was still relevant) but felt I should warn anyone with sensitive, irritable skin that thought this didn't seem to initially irritate my skin, I found that the ash particles in it were so fine that they actually got embedded in my pores and have been there for a week after only using it once on the body and a few times on my face and have been continually causing irritation/inflammation from inside my skin (this hasn't gotten better and shows no signs of working its way to the surface of my skin and out of it yet). Of everything I've ever used on my sensitive skin, this stuff has made it react the worst (nothing I use that generally helps acne/inflammation - that's barely been much of issue on my skin for years until using this - works because the particles are still trapped and just continually irritates it again from the inside, and some areas of irritation hurt as if there's tiny particles of sand rubbing at the inside of my skin..it makes me want to scream with frustration). I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and break my own arms to keep me from ever picking this stuff up (it's sad that I'm not joking).

Between this and the issue I had with the Giovanni leave-in conditioners (the cream smelled enough like vomit to make me nauseous every time I caught a whiff, and the spray smelled exactly like sharp B.O. and made my head smell exactly like a sweaty armpit and lingered strongly enough to make it simply smell like I hadn't washed or used deodorant in a week when I'd just showered) I think I might personally boycott this company - I'm only hesitant due to one product I used and liked a few years back that has since been reformulated so might not even work as well (the 50:50 Conditioner was the only conditioner besides a hair mask that ever seemed to really help the condition of my fine/thick, porous, wavy, frizzy, often chemically damaged from bleach/dye/heat hair that tends to be dry but also easily gets greasy..I only had to use it once or twice a month as a deep conditioner and it was amazing, though I can't speak for the new formula. It was also a great leave-in if you diluted it with water, and didn't smell bad at all).

EDIT 3/8/11: It's been over a month, and my skin has yet to completely heal. I've found another body wash (that isn't actually a body wash - it's Live Clean Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo. I tried it because ACV is known to be good for acne, but is too much for my sensitive skin unless extremely diluted..but this seems to be perfect once I water it down a bit to keep it from over-drying my skin. I think it's so effective because it not only exfoliates because of the citric acid, but is also an anti-bacterial) that seems to be more effective than my previous one at helping to repair my skin (the other body wash was fine until I used this scrub and ruined my skin).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2010 7:05:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a huge bar of soap. It's very hard and long-lasting. Smells awesome, a sweet fragrance (not overly sweet) and it's unisex. Wish they'd make a perfume. :) The soap is black and lathers gray but it's not messy in the tub. Lathers nicely with a loofah and cleans very well. I like to soap up all over and leave it on for a minute or so before rinsing. It's not a moisturizing bar but it doesn't dry out my skin. I haven't used it on my face, just my body. Bought the soap on iherb.com which delivered pretty quickly. I highly recommend both the soap and iherb. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2009 5:06:00 AM More reviews by akathisia

I'm very pleased with this soap. While I doubt that it's drawing out toxins, and am skeptical of some of the more trendy ingredients ("hand-harvested goji and acai, exotic super-antioxidants"), it leaves my skin very clean, and cleared away a mild body breakout.

The black lather is surprisingly unmessy, and the bar is long-lasting. I've been using it nearly every shower for about 2 months, and the bar is still huge.

D:tox isn't at all moisturizing, so I wouldn't recommend it for dry skin, but it's great when you're feeling grimy, such as post-workout. It's pretty unremarkable scent-wise.

Overall, I'm very happy with this product, and expect to repurchase if I ever manage to use up this bar. It's going to take a while.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2009 6:12:00 PM More reviews by IheartCHA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

What it claims:
"Purity comes from deep within skin with triple milled
D:tox System purifying body bar. Super-cleansing activated
charcoal and volcanic ash lift pore-clogging toxins, oils
and debris-readying them to be rinsed away.
Hand-harvested, antioxidant-rich acai and goji berry infuse
skin with the vitamins so critical to smooth beautiful, purely
touch-worthy skin. The result is skin with noticeable clarity,
gently fragranced with essential oils of luscious fig and clean
green tea. Toxins lost. Purity found."

I had been eyeing the body wash & scrub for a while but thought $9 was a but expensive (for me) to spend on a product I probably didn't need. I saw that they did make a body bar of this so I literally rushed out of my house to find it [lol.]. I love how they wrap the bar of soap in [easy to remove] plastic. Especially around where I live, people like to open and touch EVERYTHING. It's black & slightly curved at the bottom and smells just like fig. Very fresh and not over the top. [very yummy] I don't smell the green tea in it, which is fine because the smell is wonderful anyways. If they made a perfume out of this, I'd buy it. When you apply it, it lathers up quite nicely into black bubbles and rinses away, leaving your skin feeling very moisturized. From what I have heard/read in reviews, some people feel like they could skip moisturizer... but my skin feels kind of tight after using this. It hasn't dried my skin out though. I think this soap does exactly what it claims. The bars do dry out over time. I've bought two, and about half way through they both cracks and broke apart. All of Giovanni's bars do this. :(

It smells freakin' awesome.
It gently cleanses.
And it's easy to find and under $5.

If you don't like bar soaps, the body wash is a great subsitute.

As for staining of clothing of surfaces:
I use white wash cloths and have a white bathroom counter and it has not stained either.

Ingredients:
Passiflora Aincarnata (Palm) Oil Butyrospermum Parkii
(Shea Butter) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Tocopheryl
Acetate (Vitamin E), Certified Organic *Euterpe Oleracea
(Acai Berry). *Lycium Barbarun (Goji Berry), *Ficus
Carica (Fig) and * Cornellia Sinensis (Green Tea)
EXtracts (Aqueous), Carbon (Activated Charcoal), Volcanic
Ash, Iron Oxides, Pure Essential Oils.
Cruelty free, No animal fats, Biodegradable

Giovanni Organic Cosmetics is a proud supporter of
the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
NATIONAL BREAST CANCER FOUNDATION, INC.
100% RECYCLABLE MATERIALS