October 22, 2014 | 962 users online

Fragrances - Annick Goutal - Matin d'Orage

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2012 9:41:00 AM More reviews by deuxbisous

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I can understand that not everyone likes the same fragrances, but I can't understand the bad reviews on this one as they mention such a wide variety of weird notes, and I don't get any of them. I definitely don't get the woody amber mentioned in The Guide, and as they describe it as a fig fragrance, I really wonder if they were smelling the correct sample. To my nose this is just a beautiful, airy white floral, noticeably gardenia at times, and noticeably not at others, but when it's not it's still a white floral blend with a tiny touch of sweetness, honey or vanilla. In character it reminds me most of FM's Lys Mediterranee as it has the same breezy slightly aquatic feel. Maybe in the same line as Bond's Fire Island too, but less aquatic than that one. Projection and sillage are very good without being overpowering.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2012 1:23:00 PM More reviews by alba75

I bought this fragrance because it was inspired by the Japanese garden. It opens heavy ozonic and even a bit cloying. Then it quietly transforms into fresh smell of flowers covered by rain drops. Flowers are so soft and sheer. It remains fresh and slightly sweet without being powdery.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A sheer, watery gardenia. Watery as in the note, not as in "watered down". It smells pretty realistic. It's nice for when you want gardenia but not a full-on Billy Holiday sultriness. Notes per TPC: gardenia, magnolia, jasmine sambac, Indonesian champaca, lemon, perilla leaves (Japanese shiso), ginger and sandalwood.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 4:59:00 AM More reviews by mysterious_scent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A gardenia scent.
The top notes are fresh and airy with aquatic feel. Matin d'Orage is not as creamy as Marc Jacobs Essence, however, the gardenia is more realistic. I do notice the metallic note, which is very obvious on paper. I am glad it is not so dominant on my skin. As a gardenia lover, I like Matin d'Orage despite the metallic note.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2011 3:16:00 PM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this in a swap. I had it for awhile before I tried it, without knowing what to expect or what notes were present. I had to look it up immediately, and found that it was supposed to be a wet gardenia type scent. I liked the ozonic, rainy watery note in the beginning, but as soon as the gardenia began to surface, I had to wash it off. I cannot stand anything with gardenia, no matter what it is mixed with. It simply makes my head hurt!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2011 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The previous reviewer mentioned a cold zingy metallic note, and I got the same thing, except at the opening of the fragrance instead of at the end. I found it extremely irritating, in a dentist-drill sort of way. The fragrance quieted down a little bit as it developed, but was still an annoyingly high-pitched white floral. EDIT: Correction on that screechy opening note--it's more like mothballs.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2010 2:56:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is very nice for an airy, light spring-like fragrance. It is also well-suited to mild fall/winter cool weather. I would classify it as an airy green gardenia scent.

Although I do NOT like gardenia as a note AT ALL, I find this extremely enjoyable. The ozonic quality added to gardenia took out that thick, oily rich, almost 'mushroomy' under-smell, as JT has described, which I can't stand. Kai and similar scents with that overly Southern gardenia bloom smell make me nauseous.

This is enjoyable and fresh, not too sweet, and actually quite mild. I find that it does last well on my skin (I did spray quite a lot) and the scent does not wear close to the skin, it fills the air (not in a bad way). Instead of being oppressive, the ginger and champaca really adds a nice bit of spice to the gardenia-in-space concept.

My one dislike of this is that I notice a distinct after-smell of alcohol in this. I read one person on MUA described it as formaldehyde. It leaves a bad metallic zingy cold stainless steel-like taste in the mouth at the end of a good thing.....

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2010 1:18:00 PM More reviews by ora613

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I ordinarily love gardenia fragrances, both high end and low. Unlike tuberose, the flower has an underlying freshness to cut the candy. But I can't even smell the gardenia in this, not even fake gardenia. I suppose it is overpowered by marine notes--my least favorite, and an odd bedfellow for gardenia. Like all AG perfs, this one is almost homeopathic; the concentration of oils is really weak, and it disappears as fast as you can spray it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2010 5:41:00 AM More reviews by dreamer99

I like how this scent is light and not overpowering. But like other reviewers, I agree that it isn't very long-lastng. But this also depends on the person. Certain scents are more defined on some people and adhere better to their skin. I tried Le Chèvrefeuille as well, and it stayed much longer on me than this one.
The price of Goutal's fragrances are very expensive imo. For an edt, it's quite a lot. It's even more expensive if you purchase this outside of Europe or the States. (About one and a half times more!) So unless you absolutely love them or if there's no other on the market, I wouldn't really recommend purchasing. But personally, I think some of them are quite worth the purchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 8:31:00 PM More reviews by myolderbrother

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this because of the gardenia note but the gardenia never developed on my skin. Instead, I got a happy warm southern peach. Very very slowly some greenery made an attempt to rise to the top, but it did not make it very far. Southern spring peach with a little green sums up this happy fragrance.