November 28, 2014 | 1033 users online

Sunscreen - Avene - Very High Protection Cream SPF 50+

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2014 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Kanaria

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Mine is the "dry sensitive skin" one (as the fist photo).

Just't didn't like it, to thick, always leave me the white cast, not confortable.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by prettyberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use Avene Very High Protection Emulsion SPF 50+ and its perfect for normal/combinated skin.. It doesn't dry my skin! Great ingredients ( paraben free, alcohol free,octobenzone free)
I use it everyday,instaed my mousturizer.. Cons:contains perfume

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Jstar2009

Hmmm, I think there is a bit of confusion on this review page about WHICH of the Avene spf 50's reviewers are using. There seems to be the physical spf, the tinted, and the untinted chemical spf 50. I believe this page is for the latter, which is the one I am reviewing. It contains a photostable blend of avobenzone, octocrylene and best of all Tinosorb S and M- which not only is the best protection available today but also helps stabilize avobenzone even further than the octocrylene already does. From my reading, I remember that the Tinosorbs were apparently remarkably stable, lasting all-day. However, the avobenzone may need a top-up and I also think to have the best protection a second application throughout the day would be advisable- if only for peace of mind! As other reviewers have noted the consistency of this sunscreen is pretty great- it is not greasy, doesn't 'build up' so you can layer a lot for great protection and have it all dry down to a nice matte-glow. I rotate a lot of suncreens but this is the one that is always trustworthy, no-fuss and great for when you need to apply an spf and be out the door! Even when I use other spfs for the face, this is the one that gets applied on hands and neck. A similar spf to this (ingredients-wise) is Vichy Aqulia Thermal SPF 15. I know the spf sounds low but it has a PPD of 18 and contains the Avo/Octo combo but instead of the Tinosorbs, it contains the Mexoryl's (SX/XL). I use that sometimes for days when I need more moisture as the base is shea butter. HTH.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2013 1:36:00 AM More reviews by nadeen4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

best sunscreen i have ever used ..i'm nc 40 skin ..i do tan very easily and fast in the sun and that doen't make my face tan after hours in the sun so i suppose it does a really good job in protecting my skin... t never looks greasy and it leaves my skin feeling and looking like there's nothing on it. I use it everyday, rain or shine. Also, it does not make my skin break out, and just about every product on the market does.will def buy again

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2012 1:01:00 PM More reviews by karencilla9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My review is for Avéne HIGH PROTECTION MINERAL CREAM SPF50 (the white tube). I have very sensitive skin to sunlight, this sunscreen did a good job in preventing me from getting a sunburn on my vacations in the beach (I reapplied every 2 hours or after swimming, perspiring or using a towel) but... Is a real MESS!!! A horrible white cast all over my face and body (this sunblock is tinted, but leaves a white cast anyways), it stains everything: clothes, shoes, furniture and anything that goes in contact whit it.... I was happy because I didn´t burn at all, (I'm very responsible taking sun anyways and try to stay in the shadow most of time, and avoid the most dangerous hours in the day), but I was looking like a ghost all the time and all my clothes, my swimsuits were ruined, I couldn´t even approach to other people without staining them or their clothes, definitely won´t repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2011 9:25:00 PM More reviews by sincolita

I had a horrible reaction to this product. After one day of use my skin broke out in huge swollen welts so badly that my doctor put me on prednisone for five days. My skin is sensitive to chemical sunscreens but I have used Clinique City Block 25 for years with great results but was looking for something a little stronger so I tried this. I have never had such a bad reaction to a sunscreen before. If your skin is at all sensitive, stay away from this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2010 12:43:00 PM More reviews by mpshouse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This sunscreen, in a mixture of tinted and untinted, is now my daily ss. Color: The untinted version can be whitening when used in the proper amounts, but it is easy to mix in the desired amount of the tinted version. It has a peachy tint which warms up my cool complexion... much peachier than the Bioderma tinted. Pink cream blushes skew peach when worn with this.
Finish: (My skin has become drier, and is not clog-prone.) This ss gives a dewy, healthy finish, and though I often choose to lightly powder over it, I don't feel it is absolutely necessary. In fact, the Avene spf 50 creme is less shiny than the emulsion on my skin. It stays on the skin, making use of liquid or cream foundations hard, but a mixture of tinted/untinted can be used to give the effect of a medium-coverage foundation. This blends very well ( unlike the emulsion).
Protection: spf 50, ppd is given as 20. Contains Tinosorbs and avobenzone.
Irritation factor: The onlt time I have had any irritation with this is when I applied to red, swollen skin ( don't try that at home). It doesn't irritate when used near my eyes.
Tenacity: Strikes a good balance between staying through perspiration and being easily removed. Does not require oil cleanser or scrubbing.
Repurchase: I have, and will continue to.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2010 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Deb78

Yes, I agree with other reviews that this product is great for sensitive skin. I have reactive, oily skin, and had no flare ups or reactions whatsoever using it, but the texture is so horrible! It has a thick, sticky texture (it kind of reminded me of emulsion paint!) and I was very aware of it sitting my skin. Also it is tinted, but even on my pale skin I it was far, far too light. A shame, but I won't be re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2010 5:44:00 AM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have no idea is this is the right one - Cream Very High Protection SPF50. It is tinted. I love it - yes, it has a whitish cast, but you are buying a physical block, not a chemical block, so you are going to get a whitish cast no matter what you do. It does not sting at all even though my face is uber sensitive. My skin looks fantastic wearing this. Not greasy, not matte, just glowy. I do not break out. Easy to apply. I just wonder how it will look over self-tanned skin, but I think, as always, with the physical block, you have to compensate for the white. Love the product and by the way, it really really works. First one that does on me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2010 8:26:00 PM More reviews by fanaticfringer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Product was greasy on my skin. Will not buy again.