December 21, 2014 | 1838 users online

Self Tanners - Nivea - Sun-Kissed Beautiful Legs (shave minimizing)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by lissakayd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My legs are white white white...but at least with this lotion, it gives my skin a nice, non-oompa loompa glow and I don't have to worry about blinding anyone when I wear shorts now! :) The keys are to EXFOLIATE THOROUGHLY BEFOREHAND, and DO NOT rush application & to be extra cautious around dryer skin & skin that might get crinkly (like behind the knees, or if you have chubby ankles & if not paying attention to how your feet are flexed when you let this stuff dry, it can create lines in those crinkles!). I find that if I do a thin layer of regular lotion (I really like Dial NutriSkin Dry Skin formula) on the dryer areas, it helps this product not concentrate in those areas.

I love how the color looks upon the first two days of application (1 layer per day). Sad to say, I achieve more of a beautiful tan than what I can accomplish naturally during an entire summer but it doesn't look orange or fake. It does seem to me that 3rd layer and beyond does tend to up the chance of streaks & "muddy" places but I think that's more user-error than anything. It does tend to last around a week or so before I need to do 1-2 more layers to "refresh" my tan.

As far as the shave-minimizing, I don't know if it makes a difference or not as I normally can get away with shaving once a week anyway. That was the only reason why I rated it a 4 overall...I can't vouch if that claim is correct or not. Also, it'd be nice if it was tinted a bit to make application easier to ensure even coverage. It goes on fairly clear so it can be a guessing game whether or not you've applied enough everywhere. I just tend to rub it in until I can't feel the wet feeling anymore.

I love the color it provides, the smell isn't too bad, & it's affordable. Good in my book and definitely worth a try if you're willing to prep & apply correctly!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2012 9:44:00 AM More reviews by stellblu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am super-pale, like, bordering on blue. I've successfully used the Jergens gradual tanner, and like that it never looks *completely* fake on me. I had a coupon for the Nivea, though, so figured I'd try it. Same thing, sorta, right? WRONG!! Firstly, I used the fair-med shade, and while the Jergens takes a few uses (and thus, almost never looks streaky), this junk worked with one application. Which should be a pro, except that it was crazy streaky, and yellow. Jaundiced yellow. I have tried it 3 times, each time waiting a good, long time before dressing, and, after the first travesty, *carefully* applying it, evenly and slowly. Still, my shins are bright white (silly, since I put on shorts anyway!), and my calves look like I need a liver transplant. I didn't even give this one to a friend. I did the kind thing, and threw it out.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by iodine

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great swapper gave me a chance to try the gradual tanner, and I love the results, if not some of the other things. I have a hard time getting a regular "tan in a can" to a darker stage without streaking, and the gradual lotions are the answer! Great gradual color over 3 days of use and it doesn't even mess up on joints and feet.
Nivea's coffee odor is what put me off, along with the gel feel of the "lotion". As a swimmer, I need moisture and Nivea didn't seem to deliver on this score either. I was traveling and needed space, so I ditched it and bought Jergen's and I love it. (and Jergen's has SPF 20)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see what is so special about this lotion. It made my legs look orange & streaky. It stains clothes, & yes I let it dry all the way for about an hour. It doesn't look natural at all and it wears off quickly. I prefer the Jergens lotion over this. For the price, the bottle should be bigger. What I did like was the lotion was very moisturizing, but as for the "gradual tanning" aspect of it...not so much. I also found that the color didn't build as well as gradual tanning lotions are supposed to. Even though this product claims that you shouldn't have to shave that often while using this, I felt kind of disgusting without shaving...so I shaved anyways. The color lasts longer if you don't shave, but it still didn't look that natural to me. I don't think I would ever buy this again. I usually like Nivea products, but this one kind of dissapointed me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by nolamama10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE this! Makes my legs so soft and the subtle, gradual tan it gives is awesome! not too orangey at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2011 9:34:00 AM More reviews by annkw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love. Cheap and gets the job done. I buy it in medium to dark but I myself have very fair, white skin. Within 1 to 2 uses my legs turned dark and look so much better than they were pasty white. It has a smell and I HATE it. It smells rather dingy (idk how to word it; opposite of "fresh"?) and is long lasting.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by btobey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Last year, I used Nivea Body Firming Self-Tanner because it was recommended by REAL SIMPLE magazine. I found that product to be just okay, and I wasn't planning on purchasing the Nivea brand again. When it came time to select a new self-tanner for this year, however, I found myself drawn to this product: first, I appreciated that it came in a tube rather than a bottle (for easier application), and second, I liked the fresh, powder-y scent, a rare find with these types of products.

I have definitely been impressed with this product! If I am careful with the application, it has been mostly problem-free (occasionally I will experience a spot or two that has become overly pigmented, I assume because I didn't blend evenly in that area). I am using the "medium to dark" shade, and with in a few hours, I have nice, natural-looking color that will last a day or two before I need to reapply. Furthermore, although I wasn't really expecting anything from the "shave minimizing" promises of this product, I DO think that using it has slowed down the regrowth of my hair somewhat. Personally, I still prefer to shave daily, especially in the summer, but this product definitely might help others to shave less often.

In the end, this self-tanner was clearly the right choice for me, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others as well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 11:11:00 AM More reviews by my3sons5

Best smelling self-tanner I have ever tried! The results are consistent with other self-tanners of this type.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2011 9:42:00 AM More reviews by mu_atalltimes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Other

I bought this because my legs look like neon sticks and wanted a natural looking tan. This is the best leg cream tanner I have used. And surprisingly has reduced the shaving daily routine. No detectable smell in my opinion. You have to use it pretty much daily. I used in on my arms also and has softened the hairs on my arms also. Once in a while I also used a tanning mist for a faster tanned look. Will def. buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2011 3:07:00 PM More reviews by PutUrFaceOn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the whitest legs on the face of the planet and in the winter i dont care as much but once the weather gets better I hate showing my legs. I don't want to go tanning and spray tan is too expensive so I tried this product. It works and the color is natural. The smell is not bad and it goes on easily. Just be careful because I was missing the inside part of my leg and it left an obvious line. i fixed that buy scrubbing my legs for 2 days or so and then reapplied evenly. Now I am not so embarrassed of my color and no one would know i used a self tanner. Def a good buy.