Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof

3.7

Isododecane, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, cera alba/beeswax, c8-9 isoparaffin, disteardimonium hectorite, cera carnauba/carnauba wax, aqua/water, propylene carbonate, allyl stearate/va copolymer, lecithin, silica, sodium polymethacrylate, hydrogenated jojoba oil, phenoxyethonal, peg/ppg-17/18 dimethicone, ethylenediamine/stearyl dimer dilinoleate copolymer, ethylparaben, polyvinyl laurate, polyquaternium-10, souluble collagen, pathenol, propylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben, butylparaben, oryza sativa starch/rice starch. [ /- may contain: ci 77499, ci 77492, ci 77491/iron oxides. ci 77007/ultramarines, ci77891/titanium dioxide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/ maganese violet, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, mica] F.I.L. d34889/1 U.S. patents: 5,462, 798; 6,099,183; 6,222,735; 6,296,411; 6,305,862; 6,309,123; 6,325,562; 6,331,086; 6,345,923

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

The only word I can think of to describe this mascara is "meh". It certainly isn't the worst mascara out there, but it's far from the best.

The pros are that it really is waterproof, it doesn't flake, and it's not too clumpy. Aside from that, it doesn't make the lashes pop too much, doesn't hold a curl too well, has a little bit of an off putting scent (it's not overwhelming or irritating but it is noticeable), it's a little sticky and a little gooey, and you definitely have to put on several coats to make your lashes stand out.

I think this would be good to wear with fake eyelashes, just to make your natural ones blend in. Aside from that, I wasn't too impressed (maybe I'm spoiled by my Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara) and I do think there are better waterproof drug store mascaras out there. Again, it's not really bad, it's not really good, it's just... meh.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I LOVE this mascara. I have long lashes as it is but they aren't thick but this mascara really does enhance and volumise it better than anything I've ever used.

I generally apply 3 to 4 coats of this mascara then brush it through with a lash separator, this is if I'm doing something dramatic, it literally gives me the appearance of wearing falsies. But for a simpler everyday look I apply a coat or 2 of this just to the tips of my lashes as the ends of my lashes are blonde coloured.

I'd say the only problem with this mascara is that it tends to dry out fast (within 2 to 3 months) but I've figured out ways to use that to my advantage, I generally warm it up by putting it in my pocket while I'm doing the rest of my makeup.

For my dramatic look- I generally have 2 of these on hand, a dried out one and a new one. I use 2 to 3 coats of the new one all over my lashes (root to tip) and then taking the dried out one I just brush it through the roots of my lashes, which does clump it but it isn't visible as it is only the roots, but it gives me the illusion of thicker lashes then I run through it with a lash separator.

Overall- LOVE this product, definitely a favourite.

Fantastic mascara, makes my eyelashes full and large. Doesn't clump or make you look like a panda. I used it for years.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I didn't mean to pick up the waterproof version of this mascara, so I will need to purchase the regular version to see if it is different. But I seriously love this mascara. Wow. It lengthens, volumizes, separates, fans. It didn't clump or flake on me. My only issue is that it only lasted 2 months before drying up. I'm wondering if it's because of the waterproof formula, so that's why I'll try the regular. It just got dry and when I would wipe the wand on the back of my hand -- it felt dry and grainy. So, for at least 2 months tho --- my lashes looked amazing!

I have been using this mascara for the last 5 years, I have tested other high-end and drugstore mascaras and always come back to the Colossal. With just one coat it gives volume, lenght and holds the curl. I haven't test it in the pool or the beach because I do not wear makeup to those places, but I can say is tears proof. In humidity conditions it smudges a bit under the lower lashline but I have had the same problem with every mascara out there. I love to buy high-end makeup but I do not see the point on spending my money on mascaras that have similar performance but cost a lot much more, specially if we take in consideration that every mascara must be discarded after 3 months of use no matter the brand.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This was very dry and it took a lot of brushing to get much on. I usually like natural brushes but this one didn't apply the product well. Not much volume, flakes a little, perfumed product irritates my eyes. On the plus side it holds a slight curl and is waterproof.

My lashes are straight, even kind of pointing down, but otherwise pretty average. They're not thick and they're not very long. Even with a lash curler, it's a pain to get them to curl and stay that way, so I'm constantly on the hunt for my HG mascara.

That said, this isn't my HG, but it's pretty great and definitely one I might purchase again. Next time, I'll probably try the regular instead of waterproof, though, because waterproof mascaras dry out my lashes horribly.

This mascara could sometimes make my lashes curl without me curling them first, it held a curl most of the day when I did curl them, it added a ton of volume and quite a bit of length. And the product wasn't too wet or dry.

As for being waterproof, I've only been in the rain and humidity with it on, but it held up very well. I tend to get some flaking after a few hours, but not too bad. It dries pretty quickly, but it doesn't feel super dry and flaky like a lot of waterproofs do. It has an almost tacky feel, even at the end of the day, but I never had any smudging unless I squeezed my eyes shut too hard right after applying (I use a makeup setting spray and did that a couple of times)

I've heard it compared to Badgal, and I almost agree. It's probably the closest drugstore dupe you'll find. Badgal (for me) held a curl better and clumped less, but I had no serious clumping issues with this one. Just be careful with more than one coat because two seems to be it's maximum, and if you try to add it too quickly or too slowly, you might get clumped lashes.

I bought this mascara in hopes that I could have nice, plump lashes and that I wouldn't look like a raccoon after having watery eyes & being out in the heat & humidity. Well, it completely failed. It took forever to build any volume or length and after a few hours, it started coming off onto my eyelids without me rubbing my eyes or anything. This stuff was a major disappointment.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Not even remotely waterproof. It went on gunky and sticky and stayed that way. I had smears all over my undereye area after a few hours, and I didn't even have to use remover to wipe this off my lashes (NOT good if a mascara claims water-resistance). Additionally, this really made my eyes itch, not a good thing if part of my eye makeup is smeary and sticky - it was maddening not to be able to rub my eye. Also, I personally found the wand too big to be easy to use.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this. It gives volume to my lashes as said on the packaging. If you want lengthening go with the falsies !

Popular Mascaras